Buying Advice Deciding what to buy for my 1ST tractor.

/ Deciding what to buy for my 1ST tractor.
You know the machine and history so for the money and capability the 580L definitely. There are very few options in your price range to do what you want to do in an efficient manner. (smaller machine will do it in 2-3x the time)

Sure, you can find a used 40-50 HP utliity tractor with backhoe in that (35-40K) price range, but for your work go full sized now and sell later.
I have made the call over to the 580SL to see if he will actually move on the sale! Will let you all know what happens!:oops:

The tractor you need for construction, might well be bigger and more robust than the tractor that works best for your ongoing maintenance work.

If it were me, I would go with the 580L, until all the big jobs are completed, then settle into a nice comfortable cabbed 35 to 45 hp Kioti/LS/ Kubota. Whatever brand suits you.

If you could swing it, it would be nice to keep the 580, for the unforeseen heavy construction jobs you come up with in the future.

I have been on my place for 37 years, and there’s always something that needs building or improving.
My thought too! I figured most would be in favor of the 580SL, but you never know till you ask. In a perfect world I would absolutely keep the 580SL and get a 45hp CUT for maintenance. I told the boss that we could also put it to work out here in our small town for hire and make some good money with it too!

/ Deciding what to buy for my 1ST tractor. #13  
For all of that digging, the Case is the winner hands down. A CUT will work, but you'll beat it up. They are meant more as a jack-of-all trades tool. Like a swiss army knife, it can fix a lot in pinch but no substitute for a tool box full of tools.

/ Deciding what to buy for my 1ST tractor. #14  
One approach may be to see what types of dealers you have within a reasonable distance. Of course, how far is reasonable is a variable only you can define.

You can get bigger, more powerful tractors for less than a CK, the problem is the backhoe. Those things are $7k or more. It can be done under $40k, but just barely.

/ Deciding what to buy for my 1ST tractor. #15  
I know that a Mahindra 5100 series 5145 or 5155 will dig. and is in the low 30k range, it is tuff as hell and stable enough that with just a box blade attached i do not feel the need for filled tires. I do plan to add some more weight to the box blade.
if you zoom in on the first photo you can see the top of the tractor on the top left for perspective and this was done without a backhoe.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 114
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 112
  • bucket 2.jpg
    bucket 2.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 104
   / Deciding what to buy for my 1ST tractor. #16  
LS what if I did not have the 580L option, what would you recommend then?
If you can't get the 580, then the highest hp CUT you can go with. Anything smaller and it will just take time. I built a house from the bare ground up.... Did the site work, footers, utility trenches, full septic system, everything.....all with a 25 hp subcompact TLB (LS MT125)(about $20K brand new now). I was not in a rush, doing a couple hours after work and full days when off.

I sold that LS SCUT, and bought another 25hp TLB, an LS XG3025, which is now called the MT225E, but a CUT size. Even though it is still only 25hp, it works about double what the smaller one could do time wise.

You can get a capable CUT, new with the BH, like the Kioti CK2610, Branson 2515, LS MT225E, etc for about $27-30K with the backhoe. Once you get up to the 35-40 hp units, probably around the $40K mark.

Good luck with your search and projects!

If you can't get the 580, then the highest hp CUT you can go with. Anything smaller and it will just take time. I built a house from the bare ground up.... Did the site work, footers, utility trenches, full septic system, everything.....all with a 25 hp subcompact TLB (LS MT125)(about $20K brand new now). I was not in a rush, doing a couple hours after work and full days when off.

I sold that LS SCUT, and bought another 25hp TLB, an LS XG3025, which is now called the MT225E, but a CUT size. Even though it is still only 25hp, it works about double what the smaller one could do time wise.

You can get a capable CUT, new with the BH, like the Kioti CK2610, Branson 2515, LS MT225E, etc for about $27-30K with the backhoe. Once you get up to the 35-40 hp units, probably around the $40K mark.

Good luck with your search and projects!
Great info!! That is what I was looking for. I hope I can get the 580SL, but the guy that has it is one of those that says today he will do something (like sell his 580SL for 20K) and then the next day wishy washy about it...... So was hoping I could get info like you gave me and run with it in my searching. Once again thank you and I will keep this thread going with updates no matter how long, or what piece of equipment I can get!!

I know that a Mahindra 5100 series 5145 or 5155 will dig. and is in the low 30k range, it is tuff as hell and stable enough that with just a box blade attached i do not feel the need for filled tires. I do plan to add some more weight to the box blade.
if you zoom in on the first photo you can see the top of the tractor on the top left for perspective and this was done without a backhoe.
The first words out of my mouth when I saw your photos was "this has to be Texas" that is some serious soil and rock to move!! I was looking at Mahindra, and my only concern on the BH is its not a sub frame style implement, (at least not what I have seen for sale online and around here) it is a 4 pin hooked up to the back of the tractor. I just feel that it would break the tractor in half without that sub frame support. That said, I do like seeing that the loader can DIG that well, do you have a cut bar with rock teeth on the front edge of the blade? How large of an area is that, and how long did it take to achieve that? Thank you for your response!

One approach may be to see what types of dealers you have within a reasonable distance. Of course, how far is reasonable is a variable only you can define.

You can get bigger, more powerful tractors for less than a CK, the problem is the backhoe. Those things are $7k or more. It can be done under $40k, but just barely.
Yeah there is a Mahindra 4540 with loader and BH for 39K about 45 minutes from me. I have not been able to get them to answer the phone for a few days now, so that is troubling if I ever need to have work done. Definitely not a good sign on their part. There is a really good dealer in Oologah, that has some package deals on some 30 and 40 hp Kioti units, but that is a bit of a drive for me if I ever need service or parts. Still might go look just in case the 580SL falls through. Thanks your your response!

/ Deciding what to buy for my 1ST tractor. #20  
You’re not describing CUT work. Go with a full size backhoe or a CTL. A CTL and small excavator would be ideal, but above budget.

You can sell them without much depreciation, though.

when you’re done, buy a Kioti DK or CK.