10K dump trailer build

/ 10K dump trailer build #1  

davedj1

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501
I had a long post but for whatever reason it disappeared before I could post it!
I am in the process of building a new dump trailer, it will be 6'-6" wide and 12' long with a longer than usual tongue to have a knuckle boom crane on it.
The main frame is 6" C-channel and the body will be 4" C-channel
I bought a 5" x 30" x 2.5" hydraulic cylinder at a scrap yard a few years back for a different project, it is brand new, I paid $40 bucks for it!
I have a new Predator 6.5 hp motor sitting on the shelf, I have a pump but it's specs are unknown so I may end up buying a new one.
A friend gave me some older mobile home axles with the multi leaf springs, I was going to convert to 6 lug conventional hubs but it's only $50 more to get new axles so I am going that route.
xwg7PgNl.jpg

fFTDXcgl.jpg

tgGajlMl.jpg

h3UMTkLl.jpg

tZYwihnl.jpg

stay tuned!

/ 10K dump trailer build #2  
So far looks good!.

/ 10K dump trailer build #3  
Looking very nice. :thumbsup:

/ 10K dump trailer build #4  
Definitely watching! Looks great so far. Have you been keeping track of costs? I would be very interested in the final cost breakdown. Keep up the great work!

/ 10K dump trailer build #5  
This will be fun to follow! Yes, cost info and material details would be great to know as well.

/ 10K dump trailer build #6  
Looks nice. How're you going to get it out of there upside down?

/ 10K dump trailer build #8  
Good question! Gonna be pretty heavy. You may have him thinking hard right now.
Could lower it down onto some logs and roll it out. Or maybe he has a machine big enough to lift it. We'll find out. :thumbsup:

/ 10K dump trailer build
Looks nice. How're you going to get it out of there upside down?

I have an overhead hoist near the back, will lift the back off the horse, tractor to lift the front, lower rear down onto some skids and drag it out with the tractor, hopefully my tractor will be big enough to flip it, then roll it back in on it's wheels.

Thanks for all the kind words.
As far as cost, I was hoping to be into it for around 2k but the axles may run the bill up to 2500 or so
So far for material
2 sticks 6" C plus a 6'-6" piece of C
3 sticks 4" C for the bed frame (all sticks of C are 20' long)
I'm getting the steel direct from Pacemaker Steel in Utica, it is getting delivered to a friends shop, I use his big bandsaw to make most of my cuts before I bring it home.
The way I look at it is no matter what it costs it will be much better than anything you can buy. I looked at a Big Tex 12' dump the other day, talk about cheaply built!
I will keep you posted of the progress.
I had a scare yesterday afternoon, my Hobart 180 just stopped! It was powered up as the fan was running but nothing else, a quick call to their free tech line and I found out that apparently I overheated it and it was in shut down mode, after some time it is back working fine. I guess I was working it a bit to hard. I'm considering picking up a Lincoln tombstone today and doing the heavy stuff with that. I haven't picked up a stick welder since I got my mig...lol....

/ 10K dump trailer build #10  
I have an overhead hoist near the back, will lift the back off the horse, tractor to lift the front, lower rear down onto some skids and drag it out with the tractor, hopefully my tractor will be big enough to flip it, then roll it back in on it's wheels.
From somebody who's done it. (No offense if this is old news to you) Make sure that when you flip it that it's secured to the tractor bucket or forks in such a way that it can't come undone, even if you slack off on it. When you get it up on it's side it's easy to get slack in a chain and have it come loose if it's just hooked up like you normally would. A webbing or cable choker works well (obviously making sure it's not rubbing on any sharp edges). Having it crash down in an uncontrolled manner isn't good. :thumbdown: