1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem?

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #21  
Thats what I am thinking soundguy. Have you guys ever seen a clutch that bad? The springs would have had to fly out of the thing. Even with no friction pad left at all, wouldnt it still move the tractor a little?

i have seen them with a little bit of plate left on and wouldn't move the tractor
not on a tractor this small tho

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #22  
Thats what I am thinking soundguy. Have you guys ever seen a clutch that bad? The springs would have had to fly out of the thing. Even with no friction pad left at all, wouldnt it still move the tractor a little?

i've seent he hub rip out of a clutch, if that's what yer asking.

that pretty effectively kills it.. :)

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem?
Thanks for all the help so far. Here's the latest:

I jacked up the rear end. With the transmission in neutral, I spun a tire by hand and the other tire spun in the opposite direction. With the rear end in the air (insert your own joke here...) I started it up, and went through the gears. Strangely, the wheels turned in the opposite direction - it was like I had 1 forward and 4 reverse. The PTO turned when the clutch was engaged. Lowered it off the jack, and went through the gears again. It didn't take off, but I could see and feel a slight movement of the wheels in each gear - but again, it was in the opposite direction! Am I missing something?

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #24  
It sure sounds like the clutch. Sound guy would know about this better than me, but there was an auxiliery transmission option available on those tractors that could provide a step up and down (so 12 gears forward and 3 reverse). I have this option on one of my tractors. I am pretty sure Sherman transmissions also came in a reverser option, instead of the step up step down. Is it possible that you have one of these and it is stuck in reverse?

During these tests, did you check the PTO with the tires on the ground and the tractor in gear?

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #25  
diffy action is normal for one tire to spin fore and the other aft.

if you get pto and tire movement under no laod, but none under load, clutch may be at the end of it's life

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #27  
what's the model id on the bellhousing of this machine?

ie. looking for tranny options...

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #28  
When a dealer adds a sherman or other aux transmission, where they supposed to stamp the BH to indicate the change?

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #29  
hard tpo say what happens in 50ys after it left the factory...

however seeing is believing. if there is no indication of a sherman tranny on the BH, and you see a lever.. well.. :)

/ 1961 Ford 4030 - Clutch Problem? #30  
Yeah, thats why I was asking. Mine has no stampings, but it does have a lever.

I cant think of any other way his tires would turn the wrong way. Did those reverser transmissions have a lever just like an over under, or was there more linkage to make for more comfortable operation? Maybe his is broken off...but I have never seen a reverser so I dont know what to tell him to look for.