1986 TRX350 questions

/ 1986 TRX350 questions #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
OK so I got an 86 Fourtrax TRX350 4x4 for a decent price. I paid $850 for it, when the seller said it was kick start only. I got elec start going in short order so its value jumped pretty quick. Plus it was a bucket of rust when I got it, and literally painted 3 different colors and they all looked bad. Stripped it down to factory red. Also in the slow mode of searching out the few pieces of plastic it is missing, but that is not a big deal.

Just recently on a ride with the wife on hers and some neighbors, I had the RF wheel bearing overheat. I have pulled those and waiting on parts, but noticed the ball joint on the top right needs attention. I will do both front wheel bearings.

I have looked and cannot find a source that lists any NEW ones for my quad, but I am wondering, hoping someone will know if other years of the same quad will fit. I have read there were some changes made in 1987 so I am unsure.

Anyone have any ideas?

I would like to add zerk fittings to the old joints if I cannot replace them. Has anyone ever done this? The top right ball joint came apart, but I think it will press back in OK, with new grease of course.

I realize the old bikes like this one are getting parts scarce, but would like to get it as close to completely new in the front as possible. It runs great and everything else works fine.

Here is a picture of it after I cleaned it up

86%20Honda%20quad_zps8hm42p1i.jpg

Its missing the triangular side panels and the rear tool box, but like I said no biggie on those at this point. Sellers want an arm and a leg for them.

/ 1986 TRX350 questions #2  
Not that this will be a sure fire help or not, but I'd get the measurements of the ball joint. I had a Lincoln, that for many years the only source for ball joints was the OEM, which were only sold as an entire control arm assembly, and at a very expensive price. Come to find out later that all along, Moog had a set that worked fine in it; they just weren't listed as compatible in their system therefore wouldn't cross reference on a part lookup. The measurements to look at were the diameter of the housing that presses into the control arm, and the diameter of the threaded part of the stud on the ball. I'm pretty sure that Lincoln used a 19mm housing with a 13mm stud on the ball; a few minutes work on a press and you saved 90% over the OEM solution and had something that solved a continually repeating failure. One user over at lincolnvscadillac.com simply did the research, tried it, reported success, and hundreds of users started installing the Moog ball joints. Moog finally updated their compatibility list to include that Lincoln on that part...

/ 1986 TRX350 questions
That was what I had in mind. Imfortunately I just left Harbor Freight. Why? I don't have a metric caliper. Grrrr

Ok next trip.

/ 1986 TRX350 questions #4  
Also owned a 86 Fourtrax TRX350 4x4 , nice ride and possibly the best of the best.
As to the triangle side panels, forget them. I visited some 5-6 local scrappers and those simply do not survive.
I had some PVC sheeting, about correct gauge , and simply fabricated some.

PS, good price, I sold mine for $1000. but it was 'top shape'. I simply did not use it enough to justify keeping it and annual plating + insurance.

In my area if we get caught on a public road it gets costly and trail memberships are ridiculously priced for those few times.

/ 1986 TRX350 questions
Weird never register them. Always on private land, ours and neighbors. Most around here dont even have titles. Usually it it runs a 4x4 will get $1500 minimum.

I hear ya on the plastic. I have thought of making my own too, if I bother with them at all. The tool boxes are reasonable and it keeps the battery covered, so I might get one of those.

Gotta get the front end fixed first.

/ 1986 TRX350 questions #6  
If you haven't already, check with bikebandit.com they may have the ball joints you are looking for.

/ 1986 TRX350 questions #8  
Wow, I couldn't believe it, but they are nowhere to be found on the web.
Looks like you will have to find something that will match your old part like sys op said.
Or make some more common ones fit.

/ 1986 TRX350 questions
Yea I am going to try to put the original back together but will measure first. Then wil try to source SOMETHING that will work. Been wondering if newer ones migh be made to fit.

/ 1986 TRX350 questions #10  
A friend had one of those a while ago. I thought they were popular (at least popular enough for replacement parts to be made)