2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered?

/ 2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered? #1  

erkme73

Silver Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2555 HST Cab
Since early last year, I have noticed a decrease in speed and power. Having no other point of reference other than my memory, I just figured I wasn't remembering properly. By September of last year, it got to the point that I really felt something was wrong. I spoke with the service manager at the local dealer, who recommended a full fluid/filter change - which I DIY'ed using their parts.

As I drained the hydraulic fluid, I found some gnarly metal filings and shavings stuck to the magnet - some that were over an inch long and looked like wires or drill bits:

1619213576957.png

The managers response (after discussing with his technicians) was that this was "normal" and nothing to be concerned about.

I replaced all the fluids with OEM, and found no difference in the performance. As time went on, it became more apparent that something was afoul. In January, I contacted the dealer again about service.

My 5-year powertrain warranty expired at the end of February, so I brought the tractor to them before the deadline. They've had it ever since.

That service manager is no longer there - and based on under-handed comments by the new advisor - it was because of advice like what he gave me. The new advisor warned me that they were backed up several weeks with other units ahead of mine. I was not in any hurry so I told them to take all the time they needed. So long as the tractor was checked in before the end of the warranty, it didn't matter how long it took to diagnose or repair.

Today I get a call from the advisor... The pump is bad, she said. It was only generating about "60 psi". I cannot believe that it's only generating that little pressure. It still hit decent speeds, and while slow, it was still reasonably strong. In any case, she said she wasn't sure whether the pump is covered under warranty, and has reached out to "India" to get clarification.

TL;DR:

Should the hydraulic pump be covered under a factory 5-year powertrain warranty? Is this a difficult and or expensive repair to DIY or at a non-dealer shop?

Given that they gave me the "all clear" - in writing, no less - that the shavings were normal, does that offer any recourse?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

/ 2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered? #2  
Sorry I can't help answer your questions but it is just crazy if the pump is not covered. that is part of the powertrain in my mind.

/ 2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered? #3  
Just to clarify you mentioned the HST unit so was the issue with it or just the hydraulic pump mounted on engine.

/ 2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered? #4  
Cost to just replace the pump looks like around 900+ if you do it yourself new from Mahindra site.
From parts diagram it looks like it might be an easy replacement and it really just depends on the tools you have and how mechanical you are.
Not sure about the dealer, any metal parts is something to worry about, they came from somewhere.

Last edited:
   / 2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered?
Just to clarify you mentioned the HST unit so was the issue with it or just the hydraulic pump mounted on engine.
I suppose I could have been clearer on the title. I was just trying to identify the model (HST vs. shuttle) in the title. There is nothing specific to the HST that is problematic - though since the weakness and slowness has advanced, I did notice that it seems to have a slower top end, and struggles more on hills that it previously ran w/o issue.

Sorry I can't help answer your questions but it is just crazy if the pump is not covered. that is part of the powertrain in my mind.
That's what I think as well. But, after reading the powertrain warranty on their website, it does exclude hydraulic components (naming hoses and cylinders, but not explicitly the pump). Fingers are crossed.

Cost to just replace the pump looks like around 900+ if you do it yourself new from Mahindra site.
From parts diagram it looks like it might be an easy replacement and it really just depends on the tools you have and how mechanical you are.
Not sure about the dealer, any metal parts is something to worry about, they came from somewhere.
Yes, I saw that - $814 for the part. I just wonder where that part is located (is it internal?). I have a neighbor who has his own garage - and he's done tractor work. He's going to research what's involved, but feels pretty confident that it's internal, and would require "splitting" the tractor to get to it. He said he's done that several times and it's not a big deal. However, he said his biggest reluctance is getting the cab off. I sure hope it's not that involved. He said the dealer will quote a very high labor cost if it's internal.

/ 2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered? #8  
For a HST, the pump is integral to the power train. No pump, no power. The pump is covered by warranty because it's "all parts contained therein" of the transmission. Further, don't accept only a pump replacement. Be sure to get the system flushed, and the rest of the HST inspected if not completely torn down for cleaning. Pump failure is a catastrophic failure because the pump forces debris through out the system. There are all sorts of places for debris to settle and hide. Any metal debris in the system is sure to cause another failure shortly. Usually after the 90 day service warranty.

Last edited:
   / 2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered? #9  
Its on the right side of the engine, not internal. Had you previously done an oil and filter change before.
How many hours since last change ?

If you still have the old filters, have your friend cut open the filters and check for anymore metal.

Last edited:
Its on the right side of the engine, not internal. Had you previously done an oil and filter change before.
How many hours since last change ?

If you still have the old filters, have your friend cut open the filters and check for anymore metal.

I bought her from the original owner, and it was right around 150 hours. I did a full filter and fluid change at 430 hours, and it's around 440 now.

I think I may still have the old filters. I have to check my bin in my barn. Good thinking.

As far as the location of the pump, that's what I've found on the Mahindra parts site as well:

2021-04-24_9-02-24.jpg
2021-04-24_9-00-09.jpg

For a HST, the pump is integral to the power train. No pump, no power. The pump is covered by warranty because it's "all parts contained therein" of the transmission. Further, don't accept only a pump replacement. Be sure to get the system flushed, and the rest of the HST inspected if not completely torn down for cleaning. Pump failure is a catastrophic failure because the pump forces debris through out the system. There are all sorts of places for debris to settle and hide. Any metal debris in the system is sure to cause another failure shortly. Usually after the 90 day service warranty.

Are you certain about it being internal? That would really complicate a DIY repair if warranty isn't covered. What concerns me most is that the metal filings I found are spread throughout the system, leaving a timebomb waiting to go off.