2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered?

/ 2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered?
You posted 5 limited warranty but I'm finding that series tractor should be 7 years.
Effective July 2016
The original owner (my deceased neighbor) purchased it in Feb of 2016. So I missed the cutoff for the 7-year. There's a badge on the hood that says 5-year powertrain. I always seem to miss by an inch. Let's hope that's not the case tomorrow when I learn whether this pump is covered.

On my 2538 the back half of the pump pictured powers the power steering, then through the oil cooler and then through a spin on filter. After the filter the oil goes to the HST pump. May be the same for the 2555. I'm still not clear as to which pump the dealer advisor is referring to.
View attachment 696105
I hate to come across as a total noob, but where can I get those documents?

/ 2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered? #33  
I hate to come across as a total noob, but where can I get those documents?
Online at Bill's Tractor, Ebay and what's your after is the Service Manual.

/ 2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered? #34  
The original owner (my deceased neighbor) purchased it in Feb of 2016. So I missed the cutoff for the 7-year. There's a badge on the hood that says 5-year powertrain. I always seem to miss by an inch. Let's hope that's not the case tomorrow when I learn whether this pump is covered.
Maybe the dealer will adjust the warranty since your in the same year, if not I'd be talking with Mahindra.
Also have you shown the actual pieces that came out to the dealer?

Last edited:
   / 2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered? #35  
On my 2538 the back half of the pump pictured powers the power steering, then through the oil cooler and then through a spin on filter. After the filter the oil goes to the HST pump. May be the same for the 2555. I'm still not clear as to which pump the dealer advisor is referring to.
View attachment 696105
It would appear that the Japanese, Korean or Indian writers are not all on the same page when it comes to hydraulic labeling names on drawings.
The one they labeled hydraulic pump is the HST pump Bi directional powered by the engine and no parts available. The 2nd pump label is the tandem hydraulic pump
Which shows having higher parts usage.
HST units are really good and reliable units if maintain per the book, the biggest issue and failures is not doing oil and filters.
After having to change both my pumps I do a filter change yearly and oil every two regardless of hours, maybe overkill, but buying a new transmission or new tractor is not in the budget at all.

Last edited:
Alright, here's the latest. Service manager called today to inform me that the pump is the external one, and is therefore not covered under warranty. Parts, including flushing and replacing fluids, gaskets and other incidentals, is just over $1k. They estimate 3 hours labor at $82/hr. So all in $1400. Assuming that resolves the issue entirely, and there is no residual harm from the failure.

I suppose I could DIY, but at best, it would only save me a couple hundred. So I authorized the repair.

/ 2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered? #37  
Alright, here's the latest. Service manager called today to inform me that the pump is the external one, and is therefore not covered under warranty. Parts, including flushing and replacing fluids, gaskets and other incidentals, is just over $1k. They estimate 3 hours labor at $82/hr. So all in $1400. Assuming that resolves the issue entirely, and there is no residual harm from the failure.

I suppose I could DIY, but at best, it would only save me a couple hundred. So I authorized the repair.
(y)

My apologies for the delayed follow-up. I just heard from dealer. They said it was ready for pickup. I asked if they tested the "internal" hydraulic pump to make sure it's operating at 100%. The tech said he didn't think my model has an internal pump - and that all hydraulics (lifting and propulsion) are handled with the single external pump they just replaced. He said he'd verify and get back with me. In the interim, I figured I'd ask here. I cannot seem to find an internal pump. Can any one else confirm?

/ 2016 Mahindra 2555CL HST failed pump? Powertrain warranty covered? #39  
I'm sure that the HST has a piston pump going just by the schematic but it's not serviceable, cant see a parts break down.. Thinking about the items you found in the oil they look like impellers from inside the hydraulic charge pump side which would explain why it was slowing down, the more parts broke the less oil was getting back to the HST. All the broken parts were going into the the sump and the filter would have stop them. So I really think the HST is OK, changing the oil and filters was the best insurance.

Last edited:
Thanks @Sergei1. I went to the dealer to pick her up today. I spoke both with the service advisor and the technician. When I asked the tech if there was any way to test the HST to verify it's not what's caused the external pump to fail, he said he didn't know of any way. My concern is that if I take the tractor home, and they close out the service ticket, I'm plumb out of powertrain warranty.

The tech said he'd submit a ticket to the factory to find out how to verify the health of the HST - which could take a week to nail down. In the meantime, the service advisor told me I could take it home, and she'd leave the ticket open until we hear back. If they provide an objective test, then either I will perform it, or return the tractor to them for them to do so. If it fails the test, it'll end up with a replaced HST (advisor said around $9k) under warranty.

Now that I have her back, I can say that the FEL does operate faster - though still not as snappy as the neighbor's much smaller Kubota.

As for forward speed, I was able to better test variables. When I have it it middle gear, RPM around 2100 and pulling box blade up a moderately steep driveway, the RPM will really bog down and forward speed really drops down. I do not recall it fall off so dramatically in the past on my driveway, but since it's the engine that is dropping RPM, and not just slowing forward speed (without RPM drop), I would assume that means it's unrelated to the HST?

It basically feels like the engine is not as strong as it used to be. It loads down faster than I recall. Of course, that's a pretty subjective observation, so I wouldn't bet any real money on my memory.