2120 Engine Rebuild Questions

/ 2120 Engine Rebuild Questions
Am I able to use it in place of the old seal? Is it an improvement?

Or do I need to get a different seal?

/ 2120 Engine Rebuild Questions #12  
That is an improved design seal. If you buy from John Deere, it is the only choice available. Other suppliers may be able to furnish original style seal if you can’t obtain the proper tool to install it. On your earlier question about timing, when crankshaft is at TDC, there is a hole in flywheel that should align with hole in flywheel housing on left side that you can drop a pin or bolt into. Trying to visually guess at TDC of piston can result n several degrees off without the use of a dial indicator.

It turned that I have a friend who had a seal installer at work, so luckily I was able to use that.

Next up, I've been reading about setting the piston rings on first start up, and I was hoping you guys could tell me what I need to do.

I already have my pistons installed. I did not wash my new liners, but simply wiped them out, then lubricated the liner and piston /rings with 5w30 oil before installing.

The liners came with no instructions.

Will I have trouble with glazing if I didn't wash them? Do I need to pull them all apart to wash them?

/ 2120 Engine Rebuild Questions #14  
nokiddin
I recommend utilizing break-in engine oil during 1st 100 hrs of operation. If new rear seal happen to leak I be for changing flywheel housing or machining seal hole to accommodate later style/cheaper seal.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your help so far.

Just wanted to report that I finished up putting the tractor back together last night and was able to start it up!

I did decide to use the john deere break in oil. Any other tips on the break in process?