273 died help needed

/ 273 died help needed #1  

CDR

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM 273
While in the woods this afternoon my 273 died. Appears to be an electrical problem. It quit and restarts until you release the key from the start position or release the brakes. I limped it home 300 yards by running the starter and dragging the brakes. I have looked and see nothing obvious.

Thanks in advance!!

/ 273 died help needed
Found it. Blown fuse I missed first time through. Now to see if it holds or if I'll be searching for a wiring problem.
Thanks to everyone who looked at my post!!!!

/ 273 died help needed #3  
Oh thank goodness. Reading your subject line, I thought 273 people or critters died somewhere!

---->Paul

/ 273 died help needed #4  
Sorry to hear about your problem. If you think it is electrical check the fuse panel the firewall first. Next step I would look below the fuse panel you should see the wiring harness that passes around the firewall. The 233/273 are known for wires getting chaffed in this spot and causing a ground short. I wrapped mine in electrical tape and then over-wrapped it in kevlar hose wrap. Hope you find an easy solution.

Shayne

/ 273 died help needed #5  
Next step I would look below the fuse panel you should see the wiring harness that passes around the firewall. The 233/273 are known for wires getting chaffed in this spot and causing a ground short. I wrapped mine in electrical tape and then over-wrapped it in kevlar hose wrap. Hope you find an easy solution.

Shayne
I had a simular problem with my 293. Turn signal and emergency flasher fuse would blow whenever the engine was running. Fuse would last forever without engine vibration. Wires were chaffed passing through the firewall at the same location. I repaired the chaffed wires with electrical tape and slit a piece of hose and used it to protect the harness as it passed through the firewall

/ 273 died help needed
rambler all are safe. My woodchuck counts isn't that high yet this year.

The wireing under the firewall was the first place I looked after reading about it in other posts. All looked good with good clearance but I am going to recheck it. Thanks for the response.

/ 273 died help needed #7  
Same here , one of my first fixes ....many moons ago.