3/0 Wire stripper/cutter?

/ 3/0 Wire stripper/cutter? #1  

handirifle

Veteran Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1010
I am getting ready to put a 2000w inverter in my 5th wheel. Instead of buying new cable (2/0) I have a lot of left over 3/0 THHN from our home build that was completed in 2010. Yes I saved it. For min voltage drop it calls for 2/0 but bigger is better I feel. Less chance of wire overheat.

Anyway I can bend it by hand, but stripping the ends and cutting it can be a real pain, with THHN. That cover is hard. I have wire cutter/strippers for 10ga and under, but wondering if they make hand tools for 3/0 wire that do the same. I will have a lot of ends to do this on, since it will involve 3-4 batteries.

Suggestions?

/ 3/0 Wire stripper/cutter?
I just got a thought, I have PVC pipe cutters, would that work, you think? I could run the blade around the insulation, like a pipe cutter and maybe a box cutter to break it open?

/ 3/0 Wire stripper/cutter? #3  
Harbor has a pretty hefty pair of cable cutters, I have a pair and they work good for cutting the ends off battery cables. As for the insulation, maybe a tubing cutter would score it and a utility knife to cut it down the middle and peel it off? The ratcheting pvc cutter would probably be quicker, if it can maintain contact while being rotated.

/ 3/0 Wire stripper/cutter? #4  
20 years as electrician, I just used a sawzall to cut and utility knife to skin for years. I did buy a ratchet cutter at one point, which works great for cutting, but pricey at about $130 a set.

Flyerdan
Great for that price I will try them. I will try both the tubing cutter and my PVC cutters then. Thanks

dieselcrawler
I have no desire to spend that much either. Will try the above methods first before going to a sawzall :).

Question, on my home the ground wire does not have to be as heavy as the hot leads, are battery systems the same way or should they all be the same size? All my cable is black, but I will cover ground wires with appropriate colored tape, either white or red, have not decided.

/ 3/0 Wire stripper/cutter? #7  
DC battery cables should be red (positive) and black (negitve) unless they are used as jumpers between batteries to connect them in parallel.

The battery powered sawzall with fresh fine tooth blade actully works very well.

Current carrying conductors in battery system should be same size.

Neutral wire on household electrical service can be undersized per the NEC, as well as ground wire.

/ 3/0 Wire stripper/cutter? #8  
Channellock Cable Cutter, Shear Cut, 9-3/8" L. 911CB | Zoro.com

These will do a lot of the heavier cables. If this won’t work the sawzall or grinder cutoff wheel will do the trick. As stated a sharp utility knife is all you need for the sheathing.

The house is AC split phase so the neutral and ground are different sizes- the neutral is the same size as the 2 phases and the ground is typically smaller.

The RV on the battery side is DC. And “worse” the RV doesn’t have a good or real “chassis” ground like a car. Both cables need to be the same size- period.

Be kind to the wire and be careful how it’s run. THHN isn’t really designed for the movement associated with an RV. Plus the wires coming off the battery aren’t typically fused.

I already have a 200 amp fuse block and fuses for this install. I also have plenty of 3/0 wire, so will definitely go with it all around. I questioned the color because on RV's the ground is white, but I know auto is red. I ordered heat shrink tubing, 12ft of it, (after reading replies) to cover negative cables completely in adhesive coated heat shrink, RED. That way I don't have to worry about misreading the color and purpose.

As for the chassis ground I will be grounding everything to the same section of steel, and plan on insuring a good solid connection.

I think I will use the cutoff wheel on my small grinder. Easier to handle than a sawzall (for me).

I posted this on an RV forum and the answers are remarkably similar. Good to have confirmation.

Of course I REALLY value the feedback here. After all I bought my diesel truck based on feedback from you guys.

I forgot to add, the way this is going to be mounted, I do not forsee any movement of the wire. I know RV's bounce, a lot, but the batteries will be held solid, recessed in the steel floor and battery cases. The inverter is solid mount as well.