3 2 1 smoke ribs

/ 3 2 1 smoke ribs #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
I have had good luck with my electric smoker using that method. Have some going right now.

I'm on the fence about adding sauce the last hour; I kind of like little or no sauce; the meat should not need it if it is seasoned and cooked right. Like putting steak sauce on a steak; not one I bought and cooked...

/ 3 2 1 smoke ribs #2  
Yes Robert, Every time I am asked if I want steak sauce, I reply; "not if it is a good steak."

/ 3 2 1 smoke ribs #3  
Did some training with the Army when I was in the RAAF, they called sauce 'camo', after sampling some of the offerings posing as food I understood why.

/ 3 2 1 smoke ribs #4  
no sauce! DRY! wrap in foil if concerned about lack of moisture!

meat will only take in so much smoke anyway, once it reaches a certain temp, I smoke for 45min-60min and wrap!

/ 3 2 1 smoke ribs #5  
I have had good luck with my electric smoker using that method. Have some going right now.

I'm on the fence about adding sauce the last hour; I kind of like little or no sauce; the meat should not need it if it is seasoned and cooked right. Like putting steak sauce on a steak; not one I bought and cooked...

I have never used that method. I cook mine on indirect heat, and normally do not use sauce. However, Sharn Jean likes sauce on hers, so sometimes about 1/2 hour before they are done, I add some "Woody's Cooking Sauce". It has a good flavor, and is not catsupy or sweet. It's the only thing I use; BBQ sauce never. (FWIW, my method and rubb recipe is posted in the "What's your favorite BBQ sauce" thread, post #40).

/ 3 2 1 smoke ribs #6  
I have never used that method. I cook mine on indirect heat, and normally do not use sauce. However, Sharn Jean likes sauce on hers, so sometimes about 1/2 hour before they are done, I add some "Woody's Cooking Sauce". It has a good flavor, and is not catsupy or sweet. It's the only thing I use; BBQ sauce never. (FWIW, my method and rubb recipe is posted in the "What's your favorite BBQ sauce" thread, post #40).

I too love the Woody's Cooking Sauce. I marinate my steak with it 3-6 hours before cooking and then don't need any sauce. It adds a good smoky flavor and doesn't stand out on the meat after cooking like a BBQ sauce does.

Caution: just a little bit does it, don't load up your meat with it like your would BBQ sauce. I just spread a thin layer on each side of a thick steak and let it set.

/ 3 2 1 smoke ribs #7  
I too love the Woody's Cooking Sauce. I marinate my steak with it 3-6 hours before cooking and then don't need any sauce. It adds a good smoky flavor and doesn't stand out on the meat after cooking like a BBQ sauce does.

Caution: just a little bit does it, don't load up your meat with it like your would BBQ sauce. I just spread a thin layer on each side of a thick steak and let it set.

Interesting. Although I am a steak purist; (I don't use anything but butter and a little bit of Montreal steak seasoning) I may try that...