3-Point Hitch 3 point hitch won't lift

/ 3 point hitch won't lift #71  
This may be a bad time to ask since I didn't read through all the posts but did you check the adjustment of the sway control? I usually have to re-adjust mine for implements that need a lot of lift. Your setup looks like it uses chains but I couldn't see any turn buckles or extra links. :eek:

/ 3 point hitch won't lift
Sorry it took so long...

The 3 pt is working. I poped 5 holes this weekend without any problems. The adjustment does not appear to be off and the lift is as I remember it to be. As CCWKen pointed out, the post hole digger needs a lot of lift whereas the mower deck does not and that's what originally threw me off thinking I needed an adjsutment.

Thanks to all for your help solving this problem!

/ 3 point hitch won't lift #73  
Sorry it took so long...

The 3 pt is working. I poped 5 holes this weekend without any problems. The adjustment does not appear to be off and the lift is as I remember it to be. As CCWKen pointed out, the post hole digger needs a lot of lift whereas the mower deck does not and that's what originally threw me off thinking I needed an adjsutment.

Thanks to all for your help solving this problem!

Success at last... Sweeet!!:):)

JC

/ 3 point hitch won't lift #74  
Great pictures. I have the same problem with my 1980 1700. That bad piston seal in your picture makes mine look like a million bucks! lol, mine looke like someone packed the groove with crumbs or fine gravel. There was nothing left of the seal. I got lucky and my local Ford dealed had the seal in stock. Going to install the seal tonight. I dont think it will need anything else. My lift started to bounce up and down (surge I guess), and then just quit all together. After cleaning the filter and it still didnt work, I inspected the piston next and found the seal to be bad. I think all my spring loaded valves are good. Will post an outcome tomorrow. Thanks again for the good picks. Mostly because I couldnt tell which way the lip on the seal went as mine was completely destroyed.

Yes, JC posted some great photos. I wish my problem had been the piston seal! I bought the seal before taking my piston out because it was close to the dealership's closing time and I wanted to have the part. I'm hanging on to the seal for a potential future repair.

Good luck!

/ 3 point hitch won't lift #76  
Hey Sevan, did you inspect your piston seal? Was wondering about the seal lip orientation. I can kinda tell by looking at the photos. If the red side of piston is up, the groove in the seal should also be up, thats what im seeing. Can you confirm that?

From my photo below there is a 'lip' on the seal and that lip goes up if the red side of the piston is up. I'm calling the 'lip' the part of the seal that is larger in outside diameter than the rest of the seal. this may be what you're calling the 'groove'. From what JC told me you only have one try at this. If you put it on wrong you'll never get it off to reuse it.

You can click on the pic and it will go full screen giving you a better view.

I hope this helps.

P1040681.JPG

I just measured the new seal I bought and it goes like this...

the seal is 5/16" wide

the 'lip' is 1/16" and that's the part that needs to go up if the red side of the piston is up.

Keep in mind I have a 1710 but I'm 99% certail it 's the same. JC has a 1700 and everything he showed me was the same.

/ 3 point hitch won't lift #79  
Thanks Sevans, yea, the wider area of the lip is also up. The groove area I meant was the groove in the seal when its not installed, one side of the seal is flat, the other has a groove in it as well as the beveled outer edge. Going home to install it now.

yup, we're on the same page.

good luck