3020 Diesel - tank for front hydraulic pump?

/ 3020 Diesel - tank for front hydraulic pump? #21  
Thanks! I see its 6GPM at 1900 rpm. I've been running it at 1500 RPM since I don't like running the engine hard under light load. I'm guessing then I might be closer to 5 GPM.

I had thought about finding a PTO mounted hydraulic pump and getting an external tank to go with it. But those pumps aren't cheap.

Why don't you plumb your tractor following the photos I posted and I'll bet your post pounder problems will stop that is if post pounder valve is in reality a closed center valve???? To lower cost you could supply hyd pressure to pounder from tractor scv and return the oil to rockshaft oil return line where hose is attached in this photo. AK40464 in photo subs to AT28379 Fitting 37 DEG. FLARE SWIVEL 19.39 USD which along with a set of quick disconnect fittings will put you in business for a lot less than a pto pump.

Attachments

• a202573.jpg
    a202573.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 390
   / 3020 Diesel - tank for front hydraulic pump?
Why don't you plumb your tractor following the photos I posted and I'll bet your post pounder problems will stop that is if post pounder valve is in reality a closed center valve????

Its most definitely a closed center valve. I'm thinking about plumbing it as you suggested. My main concern is that it might not dump the hydraulic fluid fast enough. The pounder uses an oversize return line. They don't plumb it in to the hydraulic return, and instead dump into the reservoir, so that it can evacuate the fluid from the cylinder fast enough to drop the weight. So I'm not really sure what would happen if I plumb the return line as you suggest. Any thoughts on that?

pounder2.jpgpounder1.jpgposts.JPGIMG_1141.JPG

/ 3020 Diesel - tank for front hydraulic pump? #23  
Its most definitely a closed center valve. I'm thinking about plumbing it as you suggested. My main concern is that it might not dump the hydraulic fluid fast enough.

View attachment 465735View attachment 465736

If your pounder valve is the convertible type OC to CC & vice verse there's a seal on the inside that can blow causing CC valve configuration to revert to OC. I've witnessed that numerous times in the past on JD FEL valves. My knowledge of post pounder hyd's is very limited so I can't intelligently answer your question BUT IMHO a large return hose is installed for a reason.

/ 3020 Diesel - tank for front hydraulic pump? #24  
Dumps the oil into what reservoir? The transmission sump?
If you want high flow on the return line. Drill out and thread larger the hose connection on a ported transmission oil filter.
Iirc there are also two sizes and filters and two sizes of Ported filter covers . The Larger pair would be better .

/ 3020 Diesel - tank for front hydraulic pump?
Yes. You remove the oil fill cap located below the seat and run the return line directly into the reservoir. It has a special rubber fitting with a hose clamp that clamps over the threaded neck for the reservoir and holds the return line in place and keeps the rain out.

I'm pretty confident the valve doesn't have any seal issues. I can stop pounding, leave the control valve on the dash tractor wired open, and wait a minute or so and then be able to continue pounding. Which tells me its not flowing hydraulic fluid past the pounder valve. As long as either one of the control valves is closed, the hydraulics will catch up.

I have about 900 posts to pound. Over half of them are smaller diameter and only go in the ground (sand) 2 feet. Easy pounding. So it may be that once I finish with the 10-foot, 8 inch diameter posts that I'm putting 4 feet in the ground, that it might be less of an issue because the posts should go in easier and quicker.

/ 3020 Diesel - tank for front hydraulic pump? #26  
Yes. You remove the oil fill cap located below the seat and run the return line directly into the reservoir. It has a special rubber fitting with a hose clamp that clamps over the threaded neck for the reservoir and holds the return line in place and keeps the rain out.

I'm pretty confident the valve doesn't have any seal issues. I can stop pounding, leave the control valve on the dash tractor wired open, and wait a minute or so and then be able to continue pounding. Which tells me its not flowing hydraulic fluid past the pounder valve. As long as either one of the control valves is closed, the hydraulics will catch up.

I have about 900 posts to pound. Over half of them are smaller diameter and only go in the ground (sand) 2 feet. Easy pounding. So it may be that once I finish with the 10-foot, 8 inch diameter posts that I'm putting 4 feet in the ground, that it might be less of an issue because the posts should go in easier and quicker.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh...............this explains why the front pump is starving.

/ 3020 Diesel - tank for front hydraulic pump? #27  
According to the gospel of Deere CTM-7, page 01-8 .
The 3020's were built with the 2000 series front pump. Either the 40cm3/2.4 cu" rated at 23gpm at 2500rpm. Or the 50cm3/3 cu" rated at 30gpm.
Much better than the 2510/2520 stable mates built with a paltry 6gpm, four piston pump.

To paraphrase a hydraulic guru from Ohio who owns and operates one of the best flow and test benches I have seen. " Ain't many of them gonna do much better than 15 gpm on the tractor".

/ 3020 Diesel - tank for front hydraulic pump? #28  
jenkinsph
Here's the trans pump spec's sraight from JD 3000 series tech manual for both type trans which type of trans contributes to trans pump GPM confusion. When I stated 5 GPM I was thinking about SR trans models.

Thanks for researching this Jim. I still don't understand how the transmission pump can keep up with the hydraulic pump's supply needs. I understand how the pumps work and actually worked for a large hydraulics company with a lot of Sunstrand pump rebuilding. While the pump is out of stroke the majority of the time with a low flow or no flow it still doesn't work when the pump is called for if there isn't a reservoir to supply oil for peak demands.

/ 3020 Diesel - tank for front hydraulic pump? #29  
Thanks for researching this Jim. I still don't understand how the transmission pump can keep up with the hydraulic pump's supply needs. I understand how the pumps work and actually worked for a large hydraulics company with a lot of Sunstrand pump rebuilding. While the pump is out of stroke the majority of the time with a low flow or no flow it still doesn't work when the pump is called for if there isn't a reservoir to supply oil for peak demands.

You're welcome. As I previously stated 3020 has a hyd reservoir up by hyd oil cooler by radiator.

/ 3020 Diesel - tank for front hydraulic pump? #30  
You're welcome. As I previously stated 3020 has a hyd reservoir up by hyd oil cooler by radiator.

That would make more sense then, did not catch the reservoir comment. My dad had a 3020 in the early 70's and I simply did not remember it being there. My memory isn't that good. He had a syncro 3020 diesel and a PS 4020 diesel 1972 and I had a 1968 4020 syncro diesel. These were all pretty good tractors in the day, wish I had them now.