3pt stuff for your Loader.

/ 3pt stuff for your Loader.
Although very cool, I can't think of a need for it. I have 24 attachments/implements, maybe half are 3pt items. I can't think of a single need for putting one of those on the FEL. I'm wide open to new ideas though!!!! With pics of course!!!! :D

The 3PT stuff on the loader should prove handy. Such implements like Box Blade, Back Blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all and Man lift.

For float, I was planning to just use two Top Link adapters or something I'll make myself. I'll let the Implement rotate in the bottom hooks. I may makeup something with a chain and post, so that the length of chain is adjustable. My head is hurting trying to figure out what will work best, so the best way is to wait till it is built, and then figure it out.

With a heavy tractor and strong loader, float will be necessary with many implements so not to wreak havoc on the implements.

/ 3pt stuff for your Loader. #12  
When roading to some mowing & driveway maintnance jobs I put the box blade on the loader instead of the bucket. That was it's 1 trip over the road & no need to load/unload from a trailer. Mostly drop the mower to put the box on the back to work though.

Use the SSQA to 3pt to do maintenance on the flail at a nice working height rather than crawling underneath too.

/ 3pt stuff for your Loader. #13  
The 3PT stuff on the loader should prove handy. Such implements like Box Blade, Back Blade, Landscape rake, Carry-all and Man lift.

For float, I was planning to just use two Top Link adapters or something I'll make myself. I'll let the Implement rotate in the bottom hooks. I may makeup something with a chain and post, so that the length of chain is adjustable. My head is hurting trying to figure out what will work best, so the best way is to wait till it is built, and then figure it out.

With a heavy tractor and strong loader, float will be necessary with many implements so not to wreak havoc on the implements.

I can't wait to see it. In fact, I'm with you; I'm going to try front mounting too. I started to do so a decade ago and even bought a SSQA to cat II 3 point adapter, but for some reason only tried it a few times and never did really do anything with it. So there the adapter sits in my tool pile, just waiting for a chance to do something.

I hear you about the advantages of front mounts. And agree that the big one is not having to constantly be turning around in the seat and crane our necks looking back to see what the 3 pt implement is up to. Comfortable seating is a big advantage for an old body.
At the least it ought to be a more accurate way to use top-dressing implements like rakes and blades. The big difference I see it that it loads the top link in tension rather than compression. But that should be better, too.

As for float, don't most tractors with loaders already have a float position as part of the hydraulic control for the loader arms? Wouldn't that work? Just thinking about it, my impression is that floating the arms would work better than floating the bucket pivot anyway. It would give you some weight on the implement.

But I'm still wondering why you want to build extended roll-back angle into the adapter? Can you elaborate on that? My old one is parallel.
Thanks,
rScotty

/ 3pt stuff for your Loader. #14  
I made one with a small amount of rollback. I use it mainly with a trailer mover for moving my dump trailer, but also for parking implements. It is very handy for a yard rake also. I used a Titan ssqa plate and a HF QA. Under $200. Welded and painted in a few hours. Commercial versions go for in the neighborhood of $1000.

Attachments

• image-3775007123.jpg
    image-3775007123.jpg
    686.7 KB · Views: 447
   / 3pt stuff for your Loader. #15  
Careful with those front mounted 3-point blades; as they have no trip feature, you could impart some serious force on your cylinders and FEL arms if you aren't careful.

/ 3pt stuff for your Loader. #16  
Careful with those front mounted 3-point blades; as they have no trip feature, you could impart some serious force on your cylinders and FEL arms if you aren't careful.

Couple years ago I converted an old Meyer truck snow blade to fit SSQA. No trip feature. I only used it a couple times on the FEL before adding 3pt brackets and putting it on the rear. I use it with patience and caution. If doing it again I would rebuild and salvage the trip feature. I also built the swivel mechanism on a solid shaft, no chains and/or flexibility. I wouldn't do that again either.

So, yes, put a 3pt rear blade on your FEL and in float position you are putting a lot of weight on the blade cutting edge. To "jump" an obstacle it has to lift itself plus half of the weight of your FEL frame. As the old TV show Lost in Space would say "Danger Will Robinson"..... :eek:

/ 3pt stuff for your Loader. #17  
Couple years ago I converted an old Meyer truck snow blade to fit SSQA. No trip feature. I only used it a couple times on the FEL before adding 3pt brackets and putting it on the rear. I use it with patience and caution. If doing it again I would rebuild and salvage the trip feature. I also built the swivel mechanism on a solid shaft, no chains and/or flexibility. I wouldn't do that again either.

So, yes, put a 3pt rear blade on your FEL and in float position you are putting a lot of weight on the blade cutting edge. To "jump" an obstacle it has to lift itself plus half of the weight of your FEL frame. As the old TV show Lost in Space would say "Danger Will Robinson"..... :eek:

Good points. Hmmm....I wonder just how much of the front mount options we're discussing depend on how we got here? For example, trucks move fast when they are pushing a Meyer snow blade and of course they need trip mechanisms. But by comparison even a big construction tractor moves quite slowly when it is doing dirt work. It would be nice for a dirt blade to be able to float over an immoveable obstacle but also it needs to be able to shear.

I'm thinking that using a 3 pt on the front is not only a nifty idea, but it's still in its infancy. Using a front loader this way is sure going to test the strength of a lot of front loader arms and cylinders.
As you say, "patience and caution".

good luck beats good planning,
rScotty

/ 3pt stuff for your Loader. #18  
I defiantly would not recommend using a blade on the front and have the loader in float, that's a accident waiting to happen. If your going to use it for snow and such I would go with a true snow plow with a trip safety setup.

/ 3pt stuff for your Loader. #19  
Good points. Hmmm....I wonder just how much of the front mount options we're discussing depend on how we got here? For example, trucks move fast when they are pushing a Meyer snow blade and of course they need trip mechanisms. But by comparison even a big construction tractor moves quite slowly when it is doing dirt work. It would be nice for a dirt blade to be able to float over an immoveable obstacle but also it needs to be able to shear.

I'm thinking that using a 3 pt on the front is not only a nifty idea, but it's still in its infancy. Using a front loader this way is sure going to test the strength of a lot of front loader arms and cylinders.
As you say, "patience and caution".

good luck beats good planning,
rScotty

Think about how a 3pt blade acts on the back of the tractor whether it's blading going forward or reverse the blade and work going backward?? When pushing a 3pt blade with the moldboard reversed and it hits an object the blade cuts downward and the chassis of the blade is lifted. Bad combination for an FEL frame.

As for speed, would you consider filling your FEL bucket at the same speed that you use to push snow??

Patience and caution indeed. :)

/ 3pt stuff for your Loader.
Yes,

I have a Commercial Old Fisher snow plow with trip. Still, I have mashed int frozen boulders with my L39. I've broken plow, bent blow, QA etc. not the loader. Sure not good for it. but the loader sure is tough. I just got through rebuilding it.
Below explains why I want a bit of pre-built rollback angle.
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/kubota-owning-operating/371960-back-dragging-fel-bucket.html

The 3PT on the FEL will be for light work, going slow, and moving 3 pt Stuff around, Cary all, man lift etc. My excavator has a dozer blade.

Last edited: