58 MPG by 2032

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #32  
It can be done. But at 140 horsepower, driving that car is about as exciting as getting your teeth cleaned.
True. You can drive for mpg or you can drive for thrills... I have both types of cars.
There is no need for 400 hp to go to the dentist or the grocery store so you can conserve there. And spend those emissions when you need to get your macho on.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #33  
I have a 2014 VW turbo diesel that gets 50-60 mpg.
Bought it used with 30k miles on it just for the mpg.
And yet, VW Cheated Emission Standards, so Many were bought back and replaced with 20-25mpg "Non Cheating, Bigger Polluters" and VW Fined on behalf of the Environment.

Then the Bought Back Vehicles, were sold in other Countries where "Environmental Hurdles" aren't as strict. Doing nothing for Global Environment but line the US Treasury. Both in Fines and Fuel Tax Dollars.

Don't get me wrong, CAFE Standards have helped a lot in increasing MPG overall from all Manufactures. But Competition would also achieve the same effect. If GM was getting 5/10 mpg over any other Brand, well you know what that would do to every other Brand's sales?

Last edited:
   / 58 MPG by 2032 #34  
And yet, VW Cheated Emission Standards, so Many were bought back and replaced with 20-25mpg "Non Cheating, Bigger Polluters" and VW Fined on behalf of the Environment.

Then the Bought Back Vehicles, were sold in other Countries where "Environmental Hurdles" aren't as strict. Doing nothing for Global Environment but line the US Treasury. Both in Fines and Fuel Tax Dollars.

Don't get me wrong, CAFE Standards have helped a lot in increasing MPG overall from all Manufactures. But Competition would also achieve the same effect. If GM was getting 5/10 mpg over any other Brand, well you know what that would do to every other Brand's sales?
I wonder if anybody considered the offending cars were burning 25-50% less fuel annually and figured that into the total pollutant equation?

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #35  
True. You can drive for mpg or you can drive for thrills... I have both types of cars.
There is no need for 400 hp to go to the dentist or the grocery store so you can conserve there. And spend those emissions when you need to get your macho on.
lol... different strokes for different folks! As a career and family man, it seems the only driving I get to do anymore is of that necessary "dentist or the grocery store" type. Doing it in a 500 hp car makes it a little less miserable, and lets me have at least a little fun, while I can.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #36  

Don't think VW replaced any of the vehicles in question with BIGGER POLLUTERS. What VW was caught doing was using computer software to lie about the actual pollutants being emitted at the exhaust by using electronic computer controls to bypass emission tests.

"What happened to all the cars Volkswagen bought back?"

"The cars taken back by VW will either be fixed and returned to customers, resold or destroyed. Over 20,000 vehicles have already been destroyed, Reuters reports. All told, about 350,000 cars in the US have been reacquired by the German automaker."

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #37  
I sold my little 2010 45 mpg Jetta Diesel back to VW at a great price and bought used, larger and much more powerful 27 - 34 mpg 2008 Mercedes Diesel sedan.

Uses about 30 - 35% more fuel but is lot more comfortable.

Jetta would still have been fine for getting groceries etc. but was tiring on long highway trips.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #38  
I have to believe ICE vehicles created the conditions for enormous 2023 wildfires in Canada and Russia. What do you think?
I guess, if you count stupid people throwing cigarette butts out the window of their ICE vehicles.

Otherwise highly doubtful.

At least one was arson, some were lightning strikes and some were stupidity.

Maybe instead of banning ICE, we should ban all the dumb arses in my area that have a fireworks fetish and are firing off thousands of dollars of them over dry forest every night of the week.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #39  
People that wrote the VW TDI software were geniuses. They knew during EPA certification the vehicles were run on dynamometer with no inputs to the electric power steering. No steering inputs vehicles ran clean and got worse mpg. Off the dynamometer with steering inputs ran a little dirtier and got great mpg. The ones that were reflashed after buyback lost 5-10 mpg and were hard to resell. Local dealer has hundreds of them they bought from VW and sold them as payment cars.

/ 58 MPG by 2032 #40  
Don't think VW replaced any of the vehicles in question with BIGGER POLLUTERS. What VW was caught doing was using computer software to lie about the actual pollutants being emitted at the exhaust by using electronic computer controls to bypass emission tests.

"What happened to all the cars Volkswagen bought back?"

"The cars taken back by VW will either be fixed and returned to customers, resold or destroyed. Over 20,000 vehicles have already been destroyed, Reuters reports. All told, about 350,000 cars in the US have been reacquired by the German automaker."

Like the term 'free money' in the article. I guess people are stupid today as there is no free money to be had anywhere. You provided that free money by paying taxes on everything you buy and that includes good and services purchased and taxable in other countries as well.

The article was good until I read that part and then I was done reading.