5inch minus spreadability?

/ 5inch minus spreadability? #1  

billboe

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SC w/ Backhoe
I want to raise a section of our driveway (where it meets the main road) about 1ft. I'm thinking about putting 5" minus on the bottom and then 3/4" minus on top. How easy will it be to "grade" the 5" minus? I have a back blade and a crappy box blade (and a bucket of course).

Or should I go for all 3/4" minus (it is about $50 more per load)?

Thanks!

p.s. I guess I mention the the existing driveway is in good shape (gravel over fabric). I just want to raise it so it is easier to pull out onto the local 50mph road (especially when it gets a little slippery).

/ 5inch minus spreadability? #2  
It will spread with some work getting to where you want it. Keep wheel packing it in as you go.

/ 5inch minus spreadability?
It will spread with some work getting to where you want it. Keep wheel packing it in as you go.
thanks citydude!

i'll certainly have the truck spread it as they dumps, so, hopefully it won't be too bad.

/ 5inch minus spreadability? #4  
I find big material harder to work than the smaller stuff, especially when they start to mix on top. Question is how are you going to finish the sides. Unfinished the fill will tend to fall off or out causing the top to break off

/ 5inch minus spreadability?
I find big material harder to work than the smaller stuff, especially when they start to mix on top. Question is how are you going to finish the sides. Unfinished the fill will tend to fall off or out causing the top to break off
thanks scootr... i was thinking about that. i was either going to feather the new material or pull some soil against the sides to hold everything in place. do those options sound reasonable?

/ 5inch minus spreadability? #6  
If you haven't already.. If you have good grade and already on fabric I wouldn't mix size if you don't have to.

The big always "comes up" and once mixed it is hard to work with if you need to put a blade in it/on it. Six inches of 3/4 minus is so much easier to work with than 3" of 3" and 3" of road rock.

Best,

ed

/ 5inch minus spreadability? #7  
The local quarry makes a 3” minus that’s not horrible. 5” will be terrible without a dozer.

/ 5inch minus spreadability? #8  
The local quarry makes a 3” minus that’s not horrible. 5” will be terrible without a dozer.
If the base is sturdy I wouldn't put the big stuff on...agree^ it is a pain to work with if not needed.

/ 5inch minus spreadability? #9  
Did what I think you mean to do for a customer last year. Large “belly” and then steeper rise to the road. His corvette scrapped coming and going. I used just enough 3” to take most of the belly out, about 6” at the deepest part. Then went over it with 4” of 3/4 minus. Worked well, no complaint on about a year.

(He did sell the Vette though….lol.

/ 5inch minus spreadability? #10  
In a bad section of my drive, I spread 2" minus that was available locally. I then spread 3/4' minus over it. No problem spreading the 2" minus. Jon