Buying Advice 60" FEL bucket on B3200/B3300 is "light duty"??

/ 60" FEL bucket on B3200/B3300 is "light duty"?? #1  

jim_wilson

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B3200 w/ BH77 & 12", 18" & 24" buckets, Kubota B50 SSQA w/ 54" & 60" buckets, LandPride FDR1660, Artillian Fork frame, Extreme 3pt rake, Concrete Mixer, MyTractorTools grapple adapter
The B3200/B3300SU come with two FEL bucket options - my dealer only has tractors on the lot with the 60" bucket installed - and I've noticed that every single one of them has a sticker on that that says "light duty".

I am trying to decide whether to get the tractor with the 54" bucket - or the 60" - and the tractor's main use is going to be dirtwork and carrying rocks, digging rocks, etc. Whichever bucket size I get - it will have a toothbar installed.

So is the 54" bucket - the "heavy duty" bucket option for this tractor? I don't want to put a 60" on it and find I'm beating the thing to death. The 48" bucket on my BX23 has stood up pretty well to all the work I put it thru.

I'm thinking my preference is for the 54" bucket because of the type of work I will be doing - the sales guy at the dealer said they sell all the tractors with the 60" bucket because the 54 doesn't cover the tracks.

Looking for some advice on whether I should insist on the 54" - or whether the 60 will work.

/ 60" FEL bucket on B3200/B3300 is "light duty"?? #2  
I agree with your dealer.... get a 60" so it covers your tracks. I've got the 60" light duty bucket on my 3030 and haven't bent it yet. For average work, it's plenty strong enough. I know you didn't ask, but I recommend going with the ATI SSQA and an SSQA style tractor bucket with a bolt-on cutting edge.

/ 60" FEL bucket on B3200/B3300 is "light duty"?? #3  
They are both light duty buckets. It is a trade off between weight and strength but for serious rooting the smaller one will not bend as quick.

/ 60" FEL bucket on B3200/B3300 is "light duty"?? #4  
Jim,

I concur with Ductape - get a QA bucket with cutting edge. I think the "dirt bucket" is the HD one from ATI.

I have the HD 56" round back with a cutting edge and the cutting edge stiffens the front edge and I have lifted/dug many rocks and hauled logs without bending or damaging it.

Also I see you were asking about the mounts on a B26 vs BH77 - I know the B26 has a bottom cradle just like the BH 77, and the top uses a clevis U shape on the BH then you push the pin thru to mount the top. On my B21 it has a "jaw style" clamp with lever that works well on the top.

The BH77 sits about 10" further back by my visual estimates from the back of tractor than on the B21-26 models.

/ 60" FEL bucket on B3200/B3300 is "light duty"??
Jim,

I concur with Ductape - get a QA bucket with cutting edge. I think the "dirt bucket" is the HD one from ATI.

I have the HD 56" round back with a cutting edge and the cutting edge stiffens the front edge and I have lifted/dug many rocks and hauled logs without bending or damaging it.

Also I see you were asking about the mounts on a B26 vs BH77 - I know the B26 has a bottom cradle just like the BH 77, and the top uses a clevis U shape on the BH then you push the pin thru to mount the top. On my B21 it has a "jaw style" clamp with lever that works well on the top.

The BH77 sits about 10" further back by my visual estimates from the back of tractor than on the B21-26 models.

I was planning on adding a toothbar to the bucket - so hopefully that will reinforce the front edge and keep it from bending. I always did all my heavy dirt digging with the toothbar installed on the BX23 bucket - and I haven't bent that one yet - maybe that's why.

I was planning on getting either the Kubota quick attach for the FEL - or (more likely)- get a quick attach from this guy:

Tach-N-Go, Loader Buddy, small loader Quick attach and attachments

He's got a pretty slick setup - and it doesn't push the bucket out as far as the ATI setup does. He's got a trailer hitch style receiver built it - so I can take off the bucket and just throw in a hitch to move my trailers, and he has it so that a rock grapple can be attached (using the receiver) . That rock grapple is actually exactly the solution for one of the major reasons I'm upgrading: I need to build a bunch of rock walls.

I have looked at the ATI setup and thought seriously about it - but the quote from the dealer was like two grand (I'd have to get a bucket too - can't use the Kubota buckets). Plus it weighs more - so it cuts into the lifting capacity.

For the price of the ATI I would probably just think about jumping up to an L3800 with the quick attach.

On the B26 backhoe - what I was really curious about - was the dimensions of the bucket mechanisms on the dipperstick. I'm curious to see if the QA setup from a B26 backhoe - could be made to work on the BH77. The two backhoes are not far apart in size - and they look very similar - so I'm wondering if Kubota did something smart when they manufactured them - and used the same parts on the bucket end for both.

My dealer had a B26 in stock when I went last week. I stopped by last night to take some measurements - and it was gone (probably a customer unit that sold) . They don't have any BH77 hoes on their lot either. I am going to try and go to a different dealer tomorrow morning and see what they have on their lot.

I would LOVE to be able to add QA capability to the BH - it would allow me to swap bucket sizes, use a ripper - use a jaw, etc.

/ 60" FEL bucket on B3200/B3300 is "light duty"?? #6  
I can relate my process on the decision between a B3200 and B3300. First, I did not need a mid pto. so that was easy to go with the B3300 and a little more rear pto hp.
I looked carefully at both the 54 and the 60 buckets and they are the exact same metal with the cutting edges the same just welded in a different position on the buckets.

A 54" bucket does cover the tire tracks of a B3200 with R4 tires, but it is a couple inches shy of covering the tracks of a B3300 since it has the larger R4 tires.
Now if you go with turf tires or R1 ag tires the two tractors share the exact same tires and a 54 bucket will cover the tracks of either.

My concern about going to the 60 bucket was maneuverability in the tight spaces I sometimes work in and the extra torque applied to the loader arms by the extra 3 width when working the bucket hard. I do think the light material sticker is more of a warning for this torque aspect rather than the construction of the bucket itself otherwise consider the L series for heavier loader frame.
My solution was to have the dealer (Barlows) put the B3200 R4 tires on the B3300 and I went with the 54" bucket.

I also have the BH77 with 16 bucket and was concerned about going from a bh with 12 bucket to 16 bucket but am very pleased with that decision (no more digging clay out of bucket). I like the BH77 a lot and the single swivel seat option on the B3200/3300, as it keeps the BH tucked in a little closer than the same on an L series for example.

I would have liked the larger R4 tires of the B3300, but the trade off has worked out pretty well. One member on the site went with the B3300 with a 54" FEL bucket and he said the extra inch or two of rear tires sticking out past FEL has not been a problem for him.

You mentioned a B26 (or was that for research only) which is a little different animal. btw, I did get the Kubota q/a for the FEL and ii is pretty nice for a set of forks. I was familiar with the ATI setup (more versatile than Kubotas), but you seem to have done your research on that with the other link you listed. I really like it. If I was just buying now I would be contacting the guy!

Anyway, just my 2 cents, Good luck on your decision...you will enjoy it!

/ 60" FEL bucket on B3200/B3300 is "light duty"??
Thanks for the reply Tompet.

You actually just answered a big question for me, that is: is the construction of the 54" and 60" buckets the same. Sounds like they are - and the only real difference is in the width. If that is the case - I might as well go with the 60" bucket. If I find that it's not working out I can always get a smaller or more robust bucket for doing heavy dirt or rock work.

That's what the quick attach is for after all - so you can change attachments.

/ 60" FEL bucket on B3200/B3300 is "light duty"?? #8  
Jim,

I like the looks of the TachNGo - exactly what you (we with rocks) need to build walls and dig in our area. I agree also on the attachment point being tighter to the lift arms is a big plus for lifting. They also have a nice array of tools - ripper, forks, grapple, and root/rock bucket as attachments that really make the FEL a multipurpose tool with quick change.

I have the 16" BH bucket on the B21 and Mech thumb and while I would love to have the Hyd thumb and removable BH bucket, I would get a grapple on the FEL and QA bucket and rock/root buckets first.

The Mech thumb takes two minutes to store away and it has built a lot of rock walls and moved rocks. The FEL on the other hand with a grapple set up offsets to some degree the BH Hyd thumb.

I think you likely can "get it all" but it may be costly to modify a Hyd thumb on the BH77 and quick change buckets feature.

I would get separate front and rear Hyd remote outlets, plus the BH Hyd connection so you can run other devices like a thumb or a splitter on the front or rear in the future.

Are you dealing with MB in Plaistow? I got my b21 from East Elloit Garage before they were bought by MB - Larry the owner was a great guy to deal with.

Carl

/ 60" FEL bucket on B3200/B3300 is "light duty"?? #9  
We just picked up the B3300SU with ATI Quick Attach plate & ATI 54" bucket. After moving some dirt and darn near tipping over a few times - headed back to the Dealer for a Land Pride 60" Box scraper for rear counter-weight. This setup is awesome for digging and we are not able to lift more than a level bucket of sandy soil - max weight limit for this tractor.

Real glad to pick the Universal Skid Steer adapter plate made by ATI - easy to use and built solid - with nice welds.

Wish list: Wildkat 48" econo grapple & QA forks

/ 60" FEL bucket on B3200/B3300 is "light duty"?? #10  
I was planning on getting either the Kubota quick attach for the FEL - or (more likely)- get a quick attach from this guy:

Tach-N-Go, Loader Buddy, small loader Quick attach and attachments

He's got a pretty slick setup - and it doesn't push the bucket out as far as the ATI setup does. He's got a trailer hitch style receiver built it - so I can take off the bucket and just throw in a hitch to move my trailers, and he has it so that a rock grapple can be attached (using the receiver) . That rock grapple is actually exactly the solution for one of the major reasons I'm upgrading: I need to build a bunch of rock walls.

I have looked at the ATI setup and thought seriously about it - but the quote from the dealer was like two grand (I'd have to get a bucket too - can't use the Kubota buckets). Plus it weighs more - so it cuts into the lifting capacity.

For the price of the ATI I would probably just think about jumping up to an L3800 with the quick attach.

Just want to add a couple things before I stop offering my opinion on your shopping adventure.

When you priced the ATI SSQA, was the two grand price you were quoted after the credit for the factory Kubota bucket???? Back when I was shopping the dealer in Plaistow, the SSQA was a little over a grand more. Shooting from the hip, it was about $800 for the ATI TachAll, and $600 or so for the Woods HD 60" bucket. Your salesman should be deleting the Kubota bucket, or crediting the cost of it. When I was shopping, it was about $400. If your salesman is charging you for the pin on Kubota bucket you can't use, you should find a new salesman. I realize prices have gone up in the past few years, but $2000 to upgrade to the SSQA doesn't sound right.

May I ask how much the MyTractorTools set-up costs?

I don't think the Kubota quick attach is a bad design, nor is the John Deere set-up, nor is the TachNGo. The reason the universal skidsteer style quick attach is so great is................... well, it's universal. Literally every bucket manufacturer makes buckets, forks, rock buckets, trailer hitch recievers, etc, etc, etc, to fit. Need a skidsteer to 3 point adapter? No problem. Man lift basket? You name it, its available.

What if you upgrade to an L series in a couple years? (When you bought your BX, did you plan on upgrading an a couple years?) Can you use the Kubota QA on the L ? Can you use the MyTractorTools on an L ? Universal Skidsteer.......... no problem.

Also, my concern with a tiny manufacturers proprietary system such as the TachNGo....... what happens if they decide in two years that they are no longer profitable to make the system to only sell 20 sets per year ? It would then be scrap metal value.

Anyway..... the reason I'm so pro-SSQA, is because I feel that converting the loader on my B3030 over to skidsteer was the single best thing I have done to the tractor since I bought it. And..... even with the small weight penalty, It has never failed to lift a full (60") bucket of dirt.