6013 break test!

/ 6013 break test! #1  

Shield Arc

Tractor
John Deere, 4200
I was asked to do this test on another site, boy this isn't good at all. 1/8-inch 6013, 115-amps, 1/4-inch flatbar. Broke with about three hits of a 4-pound hammer. Then I separated the two pieces by hand! :eek:

Couldn't quite get a full 1/4-inch fillet, so it must be about 7/32-inch.

Top plate.

Bottom plate.

/ 6013 break test! #2  
I wouldn't worry about that being a bad weld. It looks good, I don't see any trapped slag, settings for that size rod seem close. The reason it broke so easy, was only being welded on one side. If you would weld both sides I'm sure the result would be different. I use that same technique when I weld a lift eye onto something I want to move, after I have moved it I take a hammer and back brake the lift eye, makes clean up easier on both pieces.

/ 6013 break test!
I did the same test with 7018, beat the top plate down on top of the bottom plate, the weld didn't break. Put both plates in the vice, and I had to beat the top plate back the other direction to break it off the bottom plate.

/ 6013 break test! #4  
I have always thought the 6013 was more brittle than the 7018. Was the 7018 test brake first hit towards the weld or away from the weld?

/ 6013 break test!
Hit the top plate on the opposite side of the weld. The 7018 test I wished my son-n-law didn't borrow my sledge hammer, the 4-pounder wasn't really big enough hammer.
Here some pictures of the 7018 fillet weld test.

/ 6013 break test! #6  
That's the reason I call 6013 "Beauty Rod"......I'll stick to my 7018 thanx....

/ 6013 break test! #7  
Another good weld, and a good test. The results show the differences of the two rods. The 6013 looks good, seems brittle, but I think would hold in most cases. The 7018 looks good, seems to stretch and holds very well. I haven't used 6013 for a long time, we typically use the 7018 on frames, things with vibration, or repeated stress.

Shield Arc, looks like you know what your doing. I always reading your comments.

/ 6013 break test!
Shield Arc, looks like you know what your doing.

No, noway, I'm just a hack weekend warrior! Actually my weekends never end, everyday is the same as the last.:laughing:

/ 6013 break test! #9  
No, noway, I'm just a hack weekend warrior! Actually my weekends never end, everyday is the same as the last.:laughing:

Bravo Sierra

Retired professional maybe. You can claim hack status all day long, but that won't make it true.

On the other hand, I aspire to advance to hack status someday.