8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible?

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #11  
Get real. We are discussing a 46 PTO hp 4wd tractor weighing over 5k as equipped. Just exactly how much tractor do you recommend to pull an 8’ tandem disc with 20 or 22” discs?

With a geared transmission? Sure, no problem. With an HST? It will be whining and heating to death...

A tiller would be a better option for an hydro transmission.

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #12  
Limited acreage, limited hours of use. Not running 10 hour days, you've gotta consider all the variables. Landpride wants a minimum 45 drawbar HP for their smallest trailing disc, a 10 foot 35 series. The OP is looking at 20% less disc and very likely a lighter unit as well.

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #13  
I have a mx5100 HST. So a similar tractor but I do have loaded r1's.

I pull a 3-14 plow followed by a 11-1/2' JD210 transport disc. It has 32 disc's on 9" spacing.

Traction is not the issue....however power with the HST "kinda" is.

I say "kinda" because I would like to go about 5MPH for good soil mixing. However with the HST in the MX.....Low range is ~3.5mph, Med range is ~7.

Taking an aggressive bite in M bogs the machine down to the ~3.5 MPH range to the point you might as well just leave it in Low.
In Low it hardly breaks a sweat.

The fancier hydro on the Grand L may solve that minor issue.

The 3-14 plow is also a perfect match.

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #14  
I have worked my food plots with a L4240 HSTC both with a large disc ,2/14 bottom plow and roto-tiller.Disc is the hardest to pull and only used on broken ground.With the roto-tiller I only need one pass,disc take at least 3;so where is the time savings?On previous broken ground;I have a three point five shank cultivator that works very well and is fast.We do 20 acres per year.
My tractor has R1's that are loaded.Brush-hog standing plots in the spring and spring cultivate.New plots need to be plowed first.

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #15  
Just for consideration I pull a 3pt 20 pan 18" disc (7.5" spacing) weighing approximately 1000lbs behind my L3560 (has rear wheel weights & loader) over a relatively flat (<4% grade) garden. The tractor is definitely working under load, but it will get the disc to suitable working speeds even with the disc dropped all the way ... assuming soil conditions are appropriate for working (i.e. friable not muddy or rock hard).

With the 50lbs per pan weight it does better as secondary tillage than primary, but it can still chop some virgin (and unplowed garden) ground if pitched correctly (have a clay/loam soil). I leave the garden "headlands" unworked so end up tearing up some turf on each pass through the garden, and don't plow winter cover crops in ...just disc and spike harrow them. The heavier per pan weight of a pull-type should help with that even though it's not the ideal set up for breaking new ground.

If working large areas at a time you may want to keep an eye on the hydraulic fluid & transmission temps and take a break to let things cool a bit when/if needed as I've noticed when doing other heavy work that performance can drop off when the rear housing has started to feel warm/hot....may not be an issue with the larger Grand L's, but something to consider.

Also, if you find a problem area the draft load can always be reduced by lifting the disc to reduce tillage depth, or changing the gang angle. So even if it's not ideal I'd suspect it'll work and perhaps leave a better mix of soil clumps/fines than a tiller would....and depending what you're planting it may also useful to work in broadcasted seed by using shallow tillage depths.

Just my :2cents: though..... (which may or may not be worth that much :confused3: )

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #16  
I pull this 8 ft wheel disc with my Mahindra 5525. It's a 14-ft wide disc cut down to 8 ft.

Wheel disc-1 (2).JPG

Good luck

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #17  
You people are funny. When I was a kid we pulled an 8 IH 37 disc all over the farm with a 35 hp Cockshutt 30 that probably weighed less than the Grand L. You bought a tractor, put it to work.

Pulled an 8' tandem disc with a Ford 8N thru plowed ground.

If I had a 55HP tractor that wouldn't pull an 8' disc I'd look hard at selling it.... :)

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #19  
That a good one Rick ! :laughing:

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #20  
Some of you guys read too much and operate tractors too little.

You gotta think positive with completing the task as the goal. :)

DSC01143.jpg