8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible?

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #41  
I did throw the number out but it's not like I can actually know the exact amount to the ground.
I will for sure link the videos .

I'm basing my opinion off the way my 4060 struggles to pull the land plane. I think we can agree a land plane is no where near as hard to pull as a disk that's actually down in the soil.

I love my new tractor don't get me wrong but I don't see it as a good candidate for ground engagement type work. I bought it primarily for grass cutting / bush hogging type use.

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #42  
I did throw the number out but it's not like I can actually know the exact amount to the ground.
I will for sure link the videos .

I'm basing my opinion off the way my 4060 struggles to pull the land plane. I think we can agree a land plane is no where near as hard to pull as a disk that's actually down in the soil.

I love my new tractor don't get me wrong but I don't see it as a good candidate for ground engagement type work. I bought it primarily for grass cutting / bush hogging type use.

Agree, Chevy.

Way back at the beginning of this thread the OP stated that the 8' disc in question weighs 2,000 Lbs. That is not a light weight 8' disc.

SDT

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #44  
Ok here is a link to some videos I made today disking a area of my yard we're trying to reclaim.

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible?
What is the spacing between pans on prospective Disc Harrow?

Nebrfarmr
Veteran Advisor - Successful Farming

‎09-22-2011
Re: Disc spacing

We have both a 9" and 7 1/2" spaced disk, both are older IH disks, so they are built similarly.

9" disc spacing - goes deeper, pulls just a little easier for the depth you are going, doesn't plug. Usually with the wider spacing, you go with bigger blades. Chops through heavier residue easier.

Better for going deep, and burying some stalks.

7-1/2" disc spacing - smoother seedbeds, doesn't make as big of clods if the ground is a little wet, cuts stalks into smaller pieces, but will plug sooner in heavy trash. In wet conditions you better be sure the scrapers are in A-1 shape, at least on our soils. One pass with it on bean ground leaves the ground as smooth as 2 passes with the 9" spaced one. However, in heavy cornstalks, and deep ridges, it is hard to get it down deep enough to chop the stalks in the bottom of the ridge all the way through in tough conditions.

jeff9366
1/31/2019
Disc/Pan Spacing

My primary Disc Harrow objectives involve CUTTING; opening new game feed plots, maintaining vegetation free fire breaks and vegetation control along woodland trails. Harrow weight on 16 discs, rather than 20 discs, puts more cutting weight on each disc. Spacing between discs is 9". If you have rocky soil, 9" disc spacing will collect fewer rocks.

Tractor users with SMOOTHING (plow furrows) as their priority may consider the 20/18 or 20/20 configuration. Both have 7-1/2" spacing between discs.

Disc Harrows are available with two types of discs: notched and smooth. Notched discs cut pasture grass and crop stubble better; in open soil notched blades jerk out trash, meaning vines and tree roots, which sporadically stick in the notches. Smooth discs roll over some vegetation that notched discs cut through.
Sorry the tandem pull disc was 9" spacing with notched in front and smooth on rear with furrow filler.

Three Point Hitch mounted Tandem Disc Harrows have a significant proportion of implement weight supported by the tractor. This improves tractor traction. However, there is less pan weight on the ground so pan penetration is less.

Drawbar attached articulating towed Disc Harrows have all pan weight on ground so they cut better, which may be an advantage or disadvantage. A towed Disc Harrow with same weight and pan spacing will exert significantly more draft resistance force to the tractor, while there is less weight on the tractor, meaning tractor is more likely to lose traction.

Drawbar attached articulating towed Disc Harrows follow the ground better than TPH Disc Harrows unitized with the tractor. Not an overly valuable characteristic harrowing flat ground.

A transport Disc Harrow with hydraulically adjustable wheel height will vary pan penetration.

I am dubious an open-station L5460 has enough weight to pull an 8' pull-type, 22" pans x 24 pans coming in right about 2000lbs more than one pass through a sandy field. However, all my experience has been with TPH mounted Tandem Disc Harrows.

Is there a reason you are reluctant to use a 3 X 12" = 36" wide or 3 X 14" = 52" wide moldboard plow for primary tillage?

Then a 1,200 pound Disc Harrow with 7-1/2" (+/-) pan spacing for secondary tillage"?

How deep is your top soil? You do not want to mix top soil with infertile subsoil.

How many total acres do you wish to process in yearly segments?

My L3560 and your L5460 are close in bare tractor weight. I have air in L3560 rear tires, not liquid.

PERHAPS INTERESTING: Disc Harrow - TANDEM LIFT DISC HAROW, Monroe Tufline 18/20", TH971820B, REVIEW

Consider an APP/Field Cultivator for 10"+ depth. You do not want to mix top soil with infertile subsoil.

MORE: Dirt Dog - All Purpose Plow / Field Cultivator REVIEW + PICTURES

VIDEO: Fred Cain 7 Shank 3 Point Field Cultivator 85in bar
I guess my reason for not plowing prior is I will be purchasing a tiller and didn't really want another tillage implement to deal with. I realize that would would be the 1st proper operation.

This thread is a good example of what happens when you try and mix city people who buy a tractor with people who grew up around them.

Always an excuse for limitations....rather than real world experience.

Thanks for everyone who had something informative to contribute. Again I knew this disc was at the max end for my tractor but maybe wishing others had pulled it off with decent results. I figured the small amount of ground I need to work up per year maybe just maybe it could be done. This is the only ground engaging work I need to do with my tractor. Gotta get back to the city so thanks again!

/ 8' pull-type disk behind L5460, possible? #50  
A lot depends on your soil type. A 7.5” blade spacing in my area would not go - plugs solid. Yours may be fine. Next blade diameter. You say 24” blades. The only disks I’ve seem here with 24” blades and 8” width are offset disks. They cut deep, pull hard, and would be anchors for your tractor unless you limited curing depth to very shallow. I used to borrow my cousin’s 10’ offset with 24” blades, worked well behind my 135 HP tractor. I used a 12’ disk with 18” blades behind my L5740 - properly sized but that was a disk my dad bought for our farm in 1958. It worked well with our 56 HP tractor at the time, and about the same with my L5740. But our soil needs to be moldboard plowed working with sod. Cropped the previous year will work with disking.