90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question
The L models sold from 1984 - 1997 were unique. Heavy and engineered for severe use, with features not often found on "compact tractors", such as 5 cyl. engines and extreme duty clutch packs (no HST!). They were probably overkill for the compact tractor market and probably expensive to build as well. Later models, while still very good, were not quite so over-the-top for the work most people were doing with a "compact". Those earlier L models, L3750, L4150, L4850, L5450, maybe others, were special and are coveted today.

If your friend is specifically referring to these, he's right. If he's just generally pontificating, well, it's still a free country, more or less.
There it is! Thanks for the specific years and models, and why they were better built. I was about to throw it out as myth. ..

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #12  
I would suggest that the pre tier 4 Kubotas of the 2000's are likely the best you can get in a modern tractor.
would agree. if you're considering M series, pre tier 4 MXX40 models would be my choice (& is for me). as far as 90's models, can't say if better built as i've never owned one. but going that far back could work against you as well, unless you find one well maintained w/service log. just scour it before you buy

in terms of the 90's, i'd be looking at a good used M6800 or M9000, hopefully with hyd shuttle rather than shuttle shift. both are among the best of their era.
overall, my advice, given these market conditions, is patience till the right one shows. don't jump at the 1st shiny hood you see. hire your work till you find one... looks like you're doing your homework as we speak. best regards

Last edited:
   / 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #13  
There it is! Thanks for the specific years and models, and why they were better built. I was about to throw it out as myth. ..

It's not myth, there really was an era when machinery was designed with more thought towards making them long term reliable and more easy for owner maintenance and repair. That's not just Kubota, it's lots of things.

And yes, that era ended somewhere between maybe the mid 90s and about 2008 for diesel tractors, cars, and trucks when common rail injectors (requires a computer) and the interim Tier IV emissions both became the norm. By 2015, Tier IV emissions controls were fully implemented.

But during that era leading up to full emissions control all the manufacturers were shifting their emphasis over to a newer manufacturing philosophy that is more centered around dealer service and a user population that is not as familiar with mechanical tinkering. The actual timing for when this happened was different for different models, but that's the time range.

Specifically, you are probably looking for a diesel engine with mechanical injectors, no emissions (maybe EGR), and a shuttle shift/glide shift/powershift transmission with a reverser.

Within Kubota that probably means the time range your buddy and other say...Someone mentioned the old Ls, I'd add some of the single letter models from that era - specifically the Bs for low HP and the Ms for more hp.
And I'd extend his timeline up to maybe 2005.
rScotty

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #14  
Bought new 1997 B2400. Have replaced hydraulic supply pipe, right rear hub, and power steering unit since then. Been great, great tractor !! No regrets at all.

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #15  
Some made more use of plastic such as BX 24 if memory serves.

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #16  
My big hesitation is that whether or not they're better built, they are still older and probably have more seals, gaskets, little nickel-and-dime things that I might have to deal with.

The other thing he said is that Kubota parts are crazy expensive versus something like Massey Ferguson which uses AGCO parts that are much less expensive. Again, myth or is there something to this?

I just want to finally have a tractor that I'm not constantly having to fix like my old TO-35, Pasquali 988, and (thankfully sold it last year) zetor 5211.

Any thoughts are much appreciated, TIA

Of course you will have more little things to deal with on an older tractor. Not seals and gaskets though. Those were well worked out in the 70s and 80s. But expect hoses, batteries, tires etc. Major systems are very reliable including clutch and brakes.

Parts are all about the same for all tractors. The exception being some vintage old iron like JD 2 cylinders, old Massey, Case, and Farmall which are ridiculously cheap.

Compared to Pasquali and Zetor you are in for a treat.

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question
I finally went down to my local dealership to test drive a few brand new Kubotas, and get prices etc. Snagged me pretty bad, I'm really considering an M5660SUHD they have in the lot. Didn't think I'd ever consider buying brand new. $30k would take it. Driving the MX and larger L series, M seems like a no-brainer choice.

However, I've also found an 80's era L series that seems to have been well taken care of, and is about perfect size and setup for me. Even has the 540/720 pto lever so I could rpm down when using light load implements like a sicklebar.

Last night my friend who told me about the well-built 80's-90s Kubotas was steering me away from buying new, he said that the computer is connected to everything and locks you out whenever it throws a code, and you have to have a dealership reset it. Ideally this really won't happen for a long long time but is something in my consideration. He also said how it's an unknown how time will treat these new models, but 30 year old tractors have a known track record.

I found myself just bouncing between the extremes of brand new and old (likely?) trusty, and then there's the handful of early 2000's 2xxx hours tractors that are in the middle.

What year did the computers get put on Kubotas?

Any experiences or wisdom on whether I should worry about computers is much appreciated.

Are there any parts of the older tractors that commonly fail, that I should look for when going to test drive them?

TIA

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #18  
I wouldn't rule out 2000-2013. They kept getting a little more refined over the 90's.

/ 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #19  
in terms of the 90's, i'd be looking at a good used M6800 or M9000, hopefully with hyd shuttle rather than shuttle shift. both are among the best of their era.
I have 2 of them. Both mechanically injected and both are farmed with and both have very little issues to deal with and both will be here until I'm fully retired pus my Kubota dealer is always chafing at the bit to buy either one (bought them both from him years ago). he's offered me top buck for them but neither are for sale

You won't find very many M9's for sale used on TH or anywhere else for that matter because owners hang on to them simply because they are stone reliable and built like tanks.

Only 2 issues I know of. One, they must be hydraulic shuttle. Hydraulic shuttle totally eliminates the dry clutch in the bell housing. It's replaced with a damper plate so no worries about ever splitting one for a clutch job and two, early M series units all have have weak PTO brakes so I suggest running an over running couple on any pto driven implement that will freewheel of you'll roast the pto brake and replacing that involves splitting the unit. The wet pto clutch pack is only accessable by splitting the unit.

Both of mine have the optional creep gears which makes them a 12x12 and they both have the 2 speed (540-6 and 1000-21) exchange shaft pto setup.

One is a full cab with climate control, the other is an open station. Both are very capable units.

Attachments

• 100_0010 (1).JPG
    100_0010 (1).JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
  • 100_0013 (1).JPG
    100_0013 (1).JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
   / 90's era kubotas better built? Also parts prices question #20  
I have 2 of them. Both mechanically injected and both are farmed with and both have very little issues to deal with and both will be here until I'm fully retired pus my Kubota dealer is always chafing at the bit to buy either one (bought them both from him years ago). he's offered me top buck for them but neither are for sale

You won't find very many M9's for sale used on TH or anywhere else for that matter because owners hang on to them simply because they are stone reliable and built like tanks.

Only 2 issues I know of. One, they must be hydraulic shuttle. Hydraulic shuttle totally eliminates the dry clutch in the bell housing. It's replaced with a damper plate so no worries about ever splitting one for a clutch job and two, early M series units all have have weak PTO brakes so I suggest running an over running couple on any pto driven implement that will freewheel of you'll roast the pto brake and replacing that involves splitting the unit. The wet pto clutch pack is only accessable by splitting the unit.

Both of mine have the optional creep gears which makes them a 12x12 and they both have the 2 speed (540-6 and 1000-21) exchange shaft pto setup.

One is a full cab with climate control, the other is an open station. Both are very capable units.
i think the M9000 is one of best M series to date. & yes to the hyd shuttle over the shuttle shift. no comparison in terms of performance & longevity. unfortunately, pre tier4 M models are becoming scarce.