A backup camera for $50!!!!!!!!!!!

/ A backup camera for $50!!!!!!!!!!! #491  
You're welcome.

I think that offset cab works to your advantage with the camera setup, being able to eyeball the left while viewing the right on the screen.

Yep, this shows the view and what the camera sees:

P8300006.JPG

The offset cab works well with seeing the 42" forks also:

P8090002.JPG
P8090003.JPG

But the biggest advantage for this old man is the step-in cab:

PC160016.JPG
P8300021.JPG

/ A backup camera for $50!!!!!!!!!!! #492  
Looking into getting the cheap setup to try out.

Where are you guys getting cheap narrow angle view cameras for the front. Tried searching amazon but most cameras are wide angle.

I think I will start with a rear view camera for hooking up attachments then set up the front one later.

my plan is to suction mount the monitor to the top right corner of the windshield and run the wiring through the roof. Seems like going through the roof is less complicated than down under the tractor, especially since I want to mount the camera high up to get a better view of the implement beyond my quick hitch.

/ A backup camera for $50!!!!!!!!!!! #493  
one more question does the cheap monitor have the 1/4-20 female nut in the monitor or is it in the frame that clips onto the monitor.

/ A backup camera for $50!!!!!!!!!!! #494  
Last edited:
   / A backup camera for $50!!!!!!!!!!! #495  
Johnsstihl,
I've recently learned that cheaper isn't better. I'm by no means an expert but I'll tell you what I did and what I learned. I bought a set with monitor and 2 wired cameras on Amazon. $75-ish. I installed the rear in a fixed position on the back of the cab. The front I mounted to an industrial magnet so I could use it on the forks or the bucket. The wire connections on the front were an issue from day one and both cameras had problems in varying light conditions. Because it was video cable I didn't want to try shortening so I was left with a couple of fist sized balls of extra wiring just waiting to get snagged. I think it was the price point I went in at but my monitor didn't have good mounting options.

I just purchased a wireless system (it's not really wireless, the cameras need power but they transmit wirelessly) I went with a higher price point and the monitor looks much more versatile in mounting.

That's my .02¢. if you have any specific questions I'd be happy to help if I can. For the record going after a pallet on the ground if you can get the front camera working is sooooo easy.

/ A backup camera for $50!!!!!!!!!!! #496  
I know not a new thread, lots of experiences and links that no linger work.
Looking to install both a front and rear camera, wireless, preferably IOS that I can use ipad as monitor. Would be great if both are on screen same time but selectable.
Anyone with good links or suggestions?
Thanks

/ A backup camera for $50!!!!!!!!!!! #497  
Has anybody tried to put one on an open station tractor? Realize this is an very old discussion. I wanted to mount the camera and screen on a board attached to the fender, but was warned the picture would wash out. I thought about making a hood around the screen. Wonder how deep it would have to be?

Bill

/ A backup camera for $50!!!!!!!!!!! #498  
Yea, mine is open station as well. Was thinking perhaps a hood, like for a drone screen, but possibly has to be a moveable mount that can be tilted/turned.

/ A backup camera for $50!!!!!!!!!!! #499  
That was why I though of mounting it on a board, the camera and the monitor could be adjusted and removed. It seems like you could make a 3" hood out of aluminum flashing painted black. I was going to attach the board to the fender with magnets and just tap into a hot electric wire.

About the bigest screen I see is 7 inches.... so it can't be very far from you. May just bite the bullet and get a cheap one and experment?

Bill

/ A backup camera for $50!!!!!!!!!!! #500  
I would love one to see what's coming out the back of my top dresser. Being in the security business for thirty years or so, my only criteria is that it have a SONY CCD (Chip). That seems to make a world of difference in quality. I know people that bought cheap cameras and one by one they all slowly lost picture quality and then died. I don't like throwing money away, no matter how little.