A Few Newbie Questions for GC2310 Operation

/ A Few Newbie Questions for GC2310 Operation #1  

exohomestead

Bronze Member
Tractor
MH CG2310, White GT205, Cessna 140
I'm a new (used) MF CG2310 owner -- still waiting on an Owner Manual in the mail. I have a 2006 model after the serial number break, with a tachometer. Can you help me with a few questions in the mean time?

I can't find the glass hydraulic fluid level glass. Is it hiding behind a tire or something else? I think it's suppose to be on the side of the hydraulic power unit between the rear tires. Am I correct?

Is there a hydraulic relieve valve or lever to allow the tractor to be moved or towed without the engine running?

I think the left foot actuator enables/disables the rear axle differential or locks the two tires together. How do I use this lever?

Is there glow plug heater light? How do I know if the glow plug heater is working when I hold the spring loaded key counter clockwise for a few seconds?

Any help appreciated!

/ A Few Newbie Questions for GC2310 Operation #2  
I have a GC2400 but they have a lot of the same parts. The sight gauge on mine is around the rear PTO. you can move the tractor without the motor bu putting the high low leaver in neutral.
The differential lock is used by just putting a little pressure on it as you move and just remove your foot when you are done.
The glow plug will make a big difference in how well it starts in mildly cold or even cool weather. You will see the difference. No light on mine. Ed

/ A Few Newbie Questions for GC2310 Operation #3  
I have a 2008 model so it should be real close to yours. Ed of all Trades answered it well.

1) The sight glass is near the rear PTO as Ed of All Trades stated. Above and slightly left if I recall. If it is dirty back there it could be easy to miss.
2) Be sure it is out of 4WD and in neutral and you should be able to push it around pretty easy. Mine has filled tires and a backhoe and I can still push it a bit if I need to.
3)That is for the rear diff and I use it when I need a little extra traction.
4) No glow plug light, but I usually engage mine for 5-7 seconds and it fires off every time. I have never replaced a glow plug since new.

It's a great little tractor and I have done some amazing things with it. Enjoy!
Buck

/ A Few Newbie Questions for GC2310 Operation
Thanks buckowens and Ed of all trades. I found the hydraulic sight glass. :) It has fluid half way up the glass. Is that good for now? The fluid looks pretty clear - like honey.

Poking around, I looked in the front axle. What level of fluid is suppose to be in there? Does this take a gear oil?

So, the rear differential is locked when I push the left foot pedal (bar) down? Sounds like I should push it while I'm in gear, moving a little bit. Did I get that right? So far, when I've tried, it resists and doesn't do anything. Maybe I just haven't jostled the gears into place my moving at the same time.

I tried pushing it around a bit in neutral and it's pretty easy (well, with another small tractor). However, that begs the question. The brake better work on a hill! I tried using my brake (with the little wire handle lock lever poking through the floor). It seems the brake needs a LOT of pressure REALLY far down to have any effect at all. And it really doesn't stop it from moving if I aim it down a hill.

Is there a brake disk of some sort that needs attention, or is the brake really something that locks the tires with hydraulic pressure in the drive unit? I suspect right now that mine is not really working, but I don't yet know what to adjust or replace.

All the best,
EH

/ A Few Newbie Questions for GC2310 Operation
Oh.. and I forgot to ask. To use the 3 point hitch (move it with the cabin lever), do I need to disconnect the back hoe hoses and re-connect them in some way? I remember reading about this, but I don't know what hose to connect to what other hose.

~ EH

/ A Few Newbie Questions for GC2310 Operation #6  
Thanks buckowens and Ed of all trades. I found the hydraulic sight glass. :) It has fluid half way up the glass. Is that good for now? The fluid looks pretty clear - like honey.

Poking around, I looked in the front axle. What level of fluid is suppose to be in there? Does this take a gear oil?

So, the rear differential is locked when I push the left foot pedal (bar) down? Sounds like I should push it while I'm in gear, moving a little bit. Did I get that right? So far, when I've tried, it resists and doesn't do anything. Maybe I just haven't jostled the gears into place my moving at the same time.

I tried pushing it around a bit in neutral and it's pretty easy (well, with another small tractor). However, that begs the question. The brake better work on a hill! I tried using my brake (with the little wire handle lock lever poking through the floor). It seems the brake needs a LOT of pressure REALLY far down to have any effect at all. And it really doesn't stop it from moving if I aim it down a hill.

Is there a brake disk of some sort that needs attention, or is the brake really something that locks the tires with hydraulic pressure in the drive unit? I suspect right now that mine is not really working, but I don't yet know what to adjust or replace.

All the best,
EH

I don't know the gc2300 series, as I have the gc1715 which is a few versions newer in subcompact than the gc2300 series.

I undetstand you are impatient to run it . . But don't be making too many assumptions until you get a manual.

A. The diff lock should never be pressed down after you are moving . . itbis designed to be engaged only when not moving or you can damage the teeth engagement process. Also you should not use thrbdiff lock on dry hard surfaces. Diff lock is a great added benefit but it is to gain traction . . .it isn't used when you already have good traction.

Why would you be pushing your gc2310 with another tractor ? If you aren't absolutely certain you are freewheeling and in neutral . . You don't want to be forcing things.

How many run hours are on your gc2310 indicator?

Glow plugs. There are normally 4 positions on your key starter switch:

1. Off
2. Battery engaged and normal on position.
3. Glow plugs also on and heating
4. Start

Last edited:
   / A Few Newbie Questions for GC2310 Operation #7  
Axle hub
I disagree with your statement about the diff lock it should be used when moving as it will often not engage while sitting still. Ed

/ A Few Newbie Questions for GC2310 Operation #8  
Axle hub
I disagree with your statement about the diff lock it should be used when moving as it will often not engage while sitting still. Ed

Greetings Ed,

Actually the manual says it in stronger language than mine. It says the rear wheels are to be completely stopped before stepping down on the lock engagement or severe damage can be done.

/ A Few Newbie Questions for GC2310 Operation #9  
X2......... the only way I can get mine to engage , is to be moving very slowly or have one wheel spinning very slowly. Otherwise , it will not engage !

/ A Few Newbie Questions for GC2310 Operation #10  
X2......... the only way I can get mine to engage , is to be moving very slowly or have one wheel spinning very slowly. Otherwise , it will not engage !

X3

Sent from my iPhone 2.0 using TractorByNet