A Few Trailer Mods

/ A Few Trailer Mods #1  

3RRL

Foothills of the Giant Sequoia's, California
Tractor
55HP 4WD KAMA 554 and 4 x 4 Jinma 284
About a year ago I bought a standard utility Carlson Trailer with ramp gate. It's my first trailer.
It's 7,000lb dual axle 16' car hauler type and 8' wide on the outside. It's got a 1 foot tall steel railing around the bed, equalizer leaf springs, electric brakes on one axle and 2" x 6" wood planks.
I think it weighs about 1,600lbs or so.

I bought it to haul boxes and furniture and other miscellaneous things, mostly to move some personal belongings to my rural property. I don't use it to haul my big Kama around, but I did use it to pick up my wife's 284 Jinma and a bunch of implements. I got that size because at the time, I had a full size Chevy Blazer, but now I have a 2500HD Silverado with diesel and Allison transmission. I would have gotten a 10,000lb 20 footer if I had that truck before. But this one really tows nicely loaded or empty. So far I've only got about 3,000 miles on it but it's come in very handy.

/ A Few Trailer Mods
Anyway, I did a few mods to it to make it a little easier to work with.
My rural property has no lights at this time and when there's no Moon, it's super dark when I arrive. I added some back up 55w backup lights to it which really help. I also added some "D" rings around the sides for tying down heavier pieces. I got a 2,000lb electric winch to help pull loads into it, so I also added a brace where I can attach the winch. It's one of those kinds you could put over your trailer ball if you wanted. I can put a 1" leader pin into this brace to hold the winch.

It didn't come with any spares so I bought two just recently. I bought those Harbor Freight spare tire mounts for like ten bucks and welded them to the outer railing and a brace on the bottom to the frame. I had to make a little bracket out of 1/2" thick steel because the bottom hole didn't line up with my lug pattern, but it turned out real sturdy. I saved a bit there because other spare mounts were like 40 bucks each.

I mounted the spares so I could still work the winch in between them. They don't get in the way when I'm completely jackknifed, so they should be alright. We've been going up to the property about every other weekend for about 4 years now, but the future trips will all be with the trailer. I figured spares were a must have. I mounted 2 (lockable) side tool boxes in the Silverado that's full of chains, binders, straps, hitches and misc safety stuff like flares, tire repair kit, jumpers, tools and such. I keep the small winch in them too.

/ A Few Trailer Mods #3  
ROb, nice mods. I hope others will put their trailer modifications here.

/ A Few Trailer Mods
Hey thanks Bob,
I thought those additions would make the trailer a little more useful and easier to work with. I'd like to see some of the other guys mods too. Maybe I'm missing something important that I don't know about, this being my first trailer. Oh, and I can't say enough good things about the new Silverado truck. It is just awesome to tow with.

/ A Few Trailer Mods #5  
I just got my new trailer. I really like the additional lights you put on. I have to put a toolbox on it along with some jackstands. Think I'll work up some lights while I'm at it.

What type of light is that?? I was thinking of an LED light as they do not draw much amperage.......matter of fact I am thinking of converting the whole lighting system to LED as they are much brighter, and last longer that standard lights.

/ A Few Trailer Mods #6  
Rob, I like your mods. On my trailer I added an angle frame @ the front of my trailer where I mount a small metal tool box to hold ratchet straps, rope, jack, tarp, flares, chock etc - stuff that I always need when I take the trailer out. On one side I fabricated a angle iron bracket to hold a spare tire.

You can see both of these in the attached photo along with my redecking in process (the trailer came w/untreated pine decking that lasted about 3 yrs, I replaced it w/pressure treated & hope to get a longer life). I also welded in 2 channels @ the end of the trailer for a drop in 2x10 tailgate but you can't really see those in the photo.

The trailer is not a heavyweight as it only has 2 - 3000 lb axles but it's perfect for our needs hauling hay, mower, building supplies & stuff around the farm.

Tie down loops around the outside next & sometime an undermount rack for my loading ramps.

Attachments

• 070818 IMG_0148 Trailer deck coming off (600 x 450).jpg
    070818 IMG_0148 Trailer deck coming off (600 x 450).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,475
   / A Few Trailer Mods
NHbotanut said:
I just got my new trailer. I really like the additional lights you put on. I have to put a toolbox on it along with some jackstands. Think I'll work up some lights while I'm at it.

What type of light is that?? I was thinking of an LED light as they do not draw much amperage.......matter of fact I am thinking of converting the whole lighting system to LED as they are much brighter, and last longer that standard lights.
Thank you NH,
Those are really 55w driving lights I got at WallMart for about 16 bucks a set. I installed another set for the truck itself. The lights for the truck and the trailer are on separate fuses so as not to overload. One on the truck back up light fuse and one on the trailer back up light fuse.
I made a little bracket and welded it to the tube under the truck.

/ A Few Trailer Mods
TwinWillows said:
Rob, I like your mods. On my trailer I added an angle frame @ the front of my trailer where I mount a small metal tool box to hold ratchet straps, rope, jack, tarp, flares, chock etc - stuff that I always need when I take the trailer out. On one side I fabricated a angle iron bracket to hold a spare tire.
Thanks Twin,
Those are nice mods too. I put my spares on the front where you have your tool box because you can see my railings are outside the wheel wells already. I was afraid of getting too wide mounting them where yours is.
I thought about putting a tool box on my trailer like you did, but I figured I haul stuff in the truck too, so sometimes I would need the same straps, etc for it.
LOL ... plus the trailer aint going nowhere without the truck!

/ A Few Trailer Mods #9  
I like that tool box.

Where did you get it or did you make it?

Roland
-------------------------
TwinWillows said:

/ A Few Trailer Mods #10  
rcowan said:
I like that tool box.

Where did you get it or did you make it?

Roland
-------------------------
TwinWillows said:

Not to hi-jack the thread but it looks like a Knack jobsite box.... good stuff;)