A slippery slope.

/ A slippery slope. #11  
Don't need a geometry lesson...LoL...Again a 20*-25* grade is doable...

He said 20-25 degree slope, not grade. He also said it's 8" of mud if you break through the 1" of topsoil. I'd guess that a tracked machine will make a huge mess in there and cause irrepairable erosion channels. Wooden mats are used for flotation on mud, not for traction on hills. I haven't seen them used on a 25 degree slope.

I'd also guess that if the OP puts wood on that slope, then gets mud on that wood, his wheeled machine will go for a slippery ride unless he puts chains on his tires.

/ A slippery slope. #12  
The springs shift some over time. My intent is to extend the small ditches to gather the water that is bypassing the original ditch system.

Pretty sure a small tracked excavator would work, but would cost more in rent and delivery than buying the lumber to get my little backhoe up there (maybe).

I was hoping you guys would come up with a brilliant idea, like sprinkling Portland cement on the wet spots, (but one that'd actually work :c)

Don't know about your area, but around here you can get a weekend rental of a small excavator for about $300.

/ A slippery slope. #13  
Unless you want you picture in the obituary after sliding down a a road that’s slicker than oiled glass than find a new plan. I’d wait until it’s dried up and hire someone with an excavator unless you’re an experienced operator which I doubt. This isn’t the place to learn how to run one.

/ A slippery slope. #14  
Unless you want you picture in the obituary after sliding down a a road that’s slicker than oiled glass than find a new plan. I’d wait until it’s dried up and hire someone with an excavator unless you’re an experienced operator which I doubt. This isn’t the place to learn how to run one.
Totally agree. Wait for dry season and get an experienced 'licensed and bonded' excavator guy out to do it. I would have a couple contractors come out during wet season so they see the issue, get a couple bids, and then have your chosen one back to do the job in the summer.

/ A slippery slope. #15  
Get someone with a directional drilling rig to punch a hole into the formation so that all the water "seeps" into one spot and bubbles out of the ground like a typical artesian well.

/ A slippery slope. #16  
He said 20-25 degree slope, not grade. He also said it's 8" of mud if you break through the 1" of topsoil. I'd guess that a tracked machine will make a huge mess in there and cause irrepairable erosion channels. Wooden mats are used for flotation on mud, not for traction on hills. I haven't seen them used on a 25 degree slope.

I'd also guess that if the OP puts wood on that slope, then gets mud on that wood, his wheeled machine will go for a slippery ride unless he puts chains on his tires.
All that chains will do on wood with that kind of slope is act as ice skates. (And don't ask me how I know that. :eek:) I don't see how he can safely operate that with a rubber tired machine, and it will take a good operator to do it on tracks. Then there's the logistics of setting the mats; most are 16 feet long and 4' wide, and weigh more than his 3350.

/ A slippery slope. #17  
Unless you want you picture in the obituary after sliding down a a road thatç—´ slicker than oiled glass than find a new plan. I壇 wait until itç—´ dried up and hire someone with an excavator unless youæ±*e an experienced operator which I doubt. This isn稚 the place to learn how to run one.

This got me thinking...could you run 1 larger temporary diverter channel that doesn稚 let the water spill into all of the currently muddy smaller channels? This would let them dry out a bunch. Then dig what you need, then remove the temp diversion. Just brainstorming.

/ A slippery slope. #18  

I should have stated a tracked machine would likely be required...I've seen (stepped) mats used on similar muddy hills with up to a 100 ton machine...what is the difference between slope and grade? maybe calling it a slope makes it more slippery ?

/ A slippery slope.
No, that isn't the way these springs work. I've lived here 15 years and they never dry up. Flow fluctuates some seasonally, but that's it. The water comes to the surface over a broad area. Due to organic material, sludge built up over hundreds or thousands of years, the soil is like a big sponge - there is hydraulic pressure forcing water to ooze out of this sponge continuously. The collection channels made by early ranchers only gets a small portion of the water.
wK6aUyR.png
This shows a small part of the ditch network (fence is property line, I've cleared the brush on my side).

While I appreciate all the stern warnings of death, rollover, and destruction, "not trying" is not my style, and at 73, I ain't killed me yet. This is one of those endeavors that, due to topography and a road with switchback I've already put in, can be approached slowly without going all in and risking one's hind end.