AAA

/ AAA #51  
The unpaved policy has a lot to due to how hard it is to say where you are, often these roads has no or poor signages and no cell services, so you rely on instruction like drive 5 miles on this road turn left on the 5ft entrance if I recall correctly there where I am. These towing compagnie also have been caught in really bad road like the guy went mudding and got stuck type of deal in an old beat-up concession road... so they simply made a blanket rule no unpaved road.
Lol good point, some city type folks had no clue where they were in the city, interstate or direction they were heading, another pet peeve of mine if you don't know where you are how in the heck is a driver supposed to find you?

/ AAA #52  
When you say "tar & chip" are you referring to the old-school way of asphalt paving where they'd spread a layer of peastones, spray liquid tar over it, then cover with sand and roll it? I remember that being the way most rural paved roads (even some state highways) being done when I was young. Haven't seen it done that way in decades.
Here they call it chip seal. The original road is asphalt. Every so often the county fills in any holes or cracks, sprays down a layer of asphalt, and then covers it with gravel. It prolongs the life of the road. The state DOT also does it on Farm to Market roads. Then they come back and restripe it.

/ AAA #53  
No asphalt on this. Packed dirt. Coated in liquid tar. Rock chips added on top. Definitely a very rural road. Only a couple of miles long and has about 6 properties or so on it.

/ AAA
No asphalt on this. Packed dirt. Coated in liquid tar. Rock chips added on top. Definitely a very rural road. Only a couple of miles long and has about 6 properties or so on it.
Didn’t I see that in “Cool Hand Luke”?

/ AAA #55  
On the west central coat of FL...crushed shell used to be very popular for unpaved roads and has come back in popularity...works great and drains well...
A lot of driveways are turf blocks filled with crushed shell...very aesthetic...

Depending on what shell pit it comes from...some loads are loaded with fossils and sharks teeth...some quite large...
I once found a shark's tooth that was almost 2" in a parking lot paved with asphalt made with crushed shell as the aggregate...it was on the edge of a pothole...!

/ AAA #56  
On the west central coat of FL...crushed shell used to be very popular for unpaved roads and has come back in popularity...works great and drains well...
A lot of driveways are turf blocks filled with crushed shell...very aesthetic...

Depending on what shell pit it comes from...some loads are loaded with fossils and sharks teeth...some quite large...
I once found a shark's tooth that was almost 2" in a parking lot paved with asphalt made with crushed shell as the aggregate...it was on the edge of a pothole...!
You are confusing me. If it has shells, it is paved...with shells.

/ AAA #57  
You are confusing me. If it has shells, it is paved...with shells.
No just crushed shell...usually rolled....it packs down really well

before it got expensive they did use it as aggregate in asphalt...

here is an example...there are or were several "pits" in the same basic area...

/ AAA #58  
BTW...Generally it is not run through any type crusher...

/ AAA #59  
BTW...Generally it is not run through any type crusher...
Sorry, you missed my point. Technically, any road with a hard surface on top is paved. In this case, with shells. :)

/ AAA #60  
Sorry, you missed my point. Technically, any road with a hard surface on top is paved. In this case, with shells. :)
To me...it's not "paved" any more than a gravel road is paved...but I guess it could be considered "paved with gravel/shell" etc., etc...!