Adding a 2-speed pto

/ Adding a 2-speed pto
Peter - the lift was made by Phoenix Equipment, they were based in Miami I think, don't know if it's still available. I liked the design because the cylinders hang down from the top - they use the small-side piston area, running higher system pressure - makes for smaller posts.

David - hope this is what you had in mind for documentation. There were some pullers and press tools needed too - but anybody who would open a gearbox knows about that.

There may be a very limited number of tractors where this conversion is possible. The ones I know about for sure are L4350, L4850 and L5450. High-speed attachments are still made in other countries though - so maybe there are other models with 2-speed pto's ?

/ Adding a 2-speed pto #22  
Nice work, Consider this one stored in my memory bank......

/ Adding a 2-speed pto #23  
Hi ya
i know a lot of guys with round balers and other things that use 1000 rpm but pull the motor back so it only runs at 540 rpm (pto speed) 1000 is a good speed tho as it has less torque(??) than 540 alot of silage choppers, mulchers ie things that cost heaps when hitting rocks/old posts etc etc shear bolts faster with 1000 rpm PTO's the 750(??)rpm i think low rev 540 ie norm 540 will do 40 Hp ,750 run at 540 will put out 28 Hp so even if running this snow blower at 600-650 there will be less Hp running though it ...i also know some mowers work better running abit faster than 540
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Adding a 2-speed pto #24  
I'm confused. I thought pto speed was a consistant 540 rpm regardless of engine speed thus the need for a 2 speed gear box to run high speed impliments.

/ Adding a 2-speed pto
Tractor pto's are engine-driven and their rpms go up and down in proportion to engine speed. It's the proportion that can be changed with gearing.

A constant-speed pto would be possible but pretty expensive - maybe some HST parts put in backward? /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Adding a 2-speed pto #26  
Hi ya
ya will find alot of tractors run about 1800-1900 to get 540 and up to 2200-2300 to get 1000 rpm ,with 2 speed shaft 540 may happen at 1500-1600 ..next time ya got a bit of pto work have ya tractor at 1100 then put pto in gear and then incress the speed to pto speed (should be a line on tacho )ya find the mower etc will speed up a bit i don't realy know by how much tho ..some tractors on the tacho have pto speed could someone look and see what the diffrence between 1100 rpm and working rpm
catch ya
JD Kid

/ Adding a 2-speed pto
The meter on the dash says 540 pto at about 2200 engine rpm. Many recent US/Canadian Kubotas run their pto's 540 rpm at about 2200-2500 engine. It looks like Kubota just wants to play extra safe by not allowing the possibliity of common attachments getting over-revved.

Anybody know where NH and Deere are in this? any of theirs have multi-speed pto's?

/ Adding a 2-speed pto #28  
Go have a six pack. You've got my vote for the cleanest, most useful mod.

/ Adding a 2-speed pto
Thanks for the kind words Peter - this pto speed thing has been on my mind for a while - never realized the solution could be so simple - and all available from the factory /w3tcompact/icons/cool.gif

/ Adding a 2-speed pto #30  
<font color=blue>Champagne anyone? On second thought maybe I'll just have a beer</font color=blue>

Shoot Dick, I'll buy the beer just because you shared that modification with us. Way past my skills. Well done.

MarkV