Adding brakes to tandem axle trailer, no brake flanges

/ Adding brakes to tandem axle trailer, no brake flanges #1  

sheamus

Silver Member
Tractor
Bobcat CT2035HST
I have a nice solid tandem trailer, but they built it using axles without flanges. I am handy with welder, wondering if I could weld on a set of flanges. The trailer shop I took it too said the weld on flanges they had would not work, not sure why. I assume they just were not comfortable doing it , but I would like to attempt it if possible, as I only use it a couple times as year and go like 10km. Has anyone done this? Should I buy the flanges from trailer shop as starting point, or just make my own?

I'll post some pics tonight. Let me know of any specific shots you want to see.

/ Adding brakes to tandem axle trailer, no brake flanges #2  
Have you priced a axle that is already set up with brakes? You may find that is not much more expensive than buying all the brake components for yours. If you are going to do this then buy the pre made flanges if the holes are to correct diameter for your axle. Trying to drill the correct size hole is a pain if you don’t have good hole saw bits and vise to hold to drill press / mill. I would not be afraid to do it. Just measure carefully and have at it.

/ Adding brakes to tandem axle trailer, no brake flanges
The shop told me new axles would be $2800, which is more than I want to spend on this trailer. I'll see if I can procure them myself cheaper.

/ Adding brakes to tandem axle trailer, no brake flanges #5  
As BCP states..... Do your own independent search........ $2,800 for two axles is more than you can pay for some new trailers...

You might consider putting brakes on only one axle... I have a 7000 gross weight tandem axle trailer and it only has brakes on one axle...

Always found "etrailer" pretty good on parts and such....

THE problem with adding your own flanges they have to be absolutely square with axle if brake parts are not align properly and probably going to wear out pretty quick....

Last edited: