Adjust Disk Angles

/ Adjust Disk Angles #1  

Boeing

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3010
Guys, it's "disking" time for my food plots. As usual they're grown up with tall thin wiry grass and weeds in general.
I bush hog but the wiry stuff just lays down and doesn't cut.:mad: Then I hook up my very heavy disk and roll, roll, roll. I recently read an article about disk blade angle. I returned to my disk and.....they're welded in place, no adjustment.
Soooo, advice on ALTERING my disk or selling it and buying a different adjustable angle disk.......Please advise. Thanks

Attachments

• Disking Main Field.jpg
    Disking Main Field.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 124
Last edited:
   / Adjust Disk Angles #2  
Disking is a secondary tool most of the time. The idea of plowing a food plot is not what most people do.

For your problem I would try to add some more weight to your disk before I spent money for a new one. Lay a railroad tie or a log across the disk to see if it improves the ability to cut. Use a #9 wire or similar to tie the log on.

Also you might try shorting the top link to make the front gang cut better. Then flatten the dick back out to smooth the plot on a second or third pass.

/ Adjust Disk Angles
That's a great idea Gee......thanks And....what should I be doing to this overgrown plot if not disk?

/ Adjust Disk Angles #4  
Without knowing the details of what you want to achieve I can suggest a few things. Mow short, use a turn plow, disk and plant with what ever you desire. There are different crops or mixtures of seed you could sow for what ever you are hunting.

Or you could till the field but the unknow rock and roots conditions makes that kind of iffy.

Many will say to round up the field to kill off everything but I frown on using pesticides or herbicides that are not required.

/ Adjust Disk Angles #5  
My tillage experience would lead me to believe disc angle would not help. I know of some people have sharpened the disc. Some crop residue could be managed by flattening and uniform angle to help tillage tool cut. But in this case , cutting residue better first would be most effective. Get mowing several times beforehand, a flail mower or most effective, use roundup. Its a safe and effective solution.

/ Adjust Disk Angles #6  
1) You might try shorting the top link to make the front gang cut better. Then flatten the dick back out to smooth the plot on a second or third pass.

2) Pin the INBOARD end of your Top Link into a lower set of the paired Position Control holes. Lower positioning of the inboard end of the Top Link will raise the rear of the Disc a little higher.

/ Adjust Disk Angles
Without knowing the details of what you want to achieve I can suggest a few things. Mow short, use a turn plow, disk and plant with what ever you desire. There are different crops or mixtures of seed you could sow for what ever you are hunting.

Or you could till the field but the unknow rock and roots conditions makes that kind of iffy.

Many will say to round up the field to kill off everything but I frown on using pesticides or herbicides that are not required.
I have a bush hog, not a mower. The best I can do is about 4 inches. I do have a single turn plow that I use for road ditches. I swear that everytime I use the plow or box scraper tines I bring up 8 TONS of rocks.....and weed seeds. I'm told not to turn the ground any more than I have to. I have used Round up but still need to disk the remaining dead stuff. I like the LOG idea for weight though, thanks

/ Adjust Disk Angles
1) You might try shorting the top link to make the front gang cut better. Then flatten the disk back out to smooth the plot on a second or third pass.

2) Pin the INBOARD end of your Top Link into a lower set of the paired Position Control holes. Lower positioning of the inboard end of the Top Link will raise the rear of the Disc a little higher.
Thanks Jeff, I do keep the upper link short to put most of the weight on the front cutters but I never thought of moving the link pin. Great idea. Thanks again. I love this website, there are hundreds (thousands) of people with more experience than I. 🙂🥰

/ Adjust Disk Angles #9  
That's a great idea Gee......thanks And....what should I be doing to this overgrown plot if not disk?
Moldboard plows are used to turn the top soil under.....top soil includes whatever is growing on it. In clay soils you have to carefully pick your soil condition to prevent gumming up. Fall is the best time but lots of smoothing required which is a bumpy ride the first couple of passes....with your disc then chain harrow.

/ Adjust Disk Angles #10  
My tillage experience would lead me to believe disc angle would not help. I know of some people have sharpened the disc. Some crop residue could be managed by flattening and uniform angle to help tillage tool cut. But in this case , cutting residue better first would be most effective. Get mowing several times beforehand, a flail mower or most effective, use roundup. Its a safe and effective solution.
"Its a safe and effective solution. "Seems lots of folks differ with your opinion especially for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma and it (Glyphosate) usually doesn't last very long, maybe a year on perennials on my farm.