Pat's Easy Change Adjustment bolt size on Pat's Easy Change and a short introduction for a new member

/ Adjustment bolt size on Pat's Easy Change and a short introduction for a new member #31  
"Been using these for 3 years and don’t understand the issue with the original bolts. So what if they mushroom a bit. You can still back them out enough to remove the hitch. If they get damaged they’re easy to cut or drill out, and it’s unlikely that the grade 2 will damage or gall the threads in the hitch if you try back out a mushroomed or damaged bolt. But if grade 5 or 8 makes you feel more secure go for it."

Maybe in some cases. I just spent 6 hours trying to get my Pats system off and adjusted. I twisted off a bolt on the left hand side first and spent hours trying to get it out far enough to remove the hitch. With just 1/16" still in (the mushroomed part) it would not come off. Fortunately, I had enough bolt left to vice grip it back in enough to saws all off the bolt, then could get it out with easy outs. Then a bolt on the right side twisted off with no extra showing on either side. Easy outs will not budge it. I've ordered an extractor set that is supposed to work on either right or left handed threads, so I hope to be able to screw it in to remove instead of out (this one did come off the lift arm). At this point, I would not recommend Pats to anyone.

/ Adjustment bolt size on Pat's Easy Change and a short introduction for a new member #32  
"Been using these for 3 years and don’t understand the issue with the original bolts. So what if they mushroom a bit. You can still back them out enough to remove the hitch. If they get damaged they’re easy to cut or drill out, and it’s unlikely that the grade 2 will damage or gall the threads in the hitch if you try back out a mushroomed or damaged bolt. But if grade 5 or 8 makes you feel more secure go for it."

Maybe in some cases. I just spent 6 hours trying to get my Pats system off and adjusted. I twisted off a bolt on the left hand side first and spent hours trying to get it out far enough to remove the hitch. With just 1/16" still in (the mushroomed part) it would not come off. Fortunately, I had enough bolt left to vice grip it back in enough to saws all off the bolt, then could get it out with easy outs. Then a bolt on the right side twisted off with no extra showing on either side. Easy outs will not budge it. I've ordered an extractor set that is supposed to work on either right or left handed threads, so I hope to be able to screw it in to remove instead of out (this one did come off the lift arm). At this point, I would not recommend Pats to anyone.
Just replace the original grade 2 (junk) bolts with grade 5.
Grade 8 for this application is not a good idea.

/ Adjustment bolt size on Pat's Easy Change and a short introduction for a new member #33  
Thanks. I've already got the grade 5 bolts, but I need to get the broken one out first. Hopefully the new extractor will work when it comes.

/ Adjustment bolt size on Pat's Easy Change and a short introduction for a new member #34  
Thanks. I've already got the grade 5 bolts, but I need to get the broken one out first. Hopefully the new extractor will work when it comes.
Use a left hand drill bit before trying the extractor!
Many times the left hand drill bit itself will remove the snapped off bolt.

/ Adjustment bolt size on Pat's Easy Change and a short introduction for a new member #35  
That might work, but I'm doubtful just because of how hard I tried with the easy out and it wouldn't budge. I have no thread showing on either side of the casting. I had about 1/16" inside, but it was the mushroomed bolt. I dremmeled that down flush with the casting hoping that would allow me to extract the bolt, but no luck. I have an extractor coming that is supposed to work in either direction- left or right thread. I'm hoping with that I can screw the remaining bolt into the casting and go from there. We'll see. Anyway, thanks to all for the suggestions. I know I have a lot to learn.

/ Adjustment bolt size on Pat's Easy Change and a short introduction for a new member #36  
That might work, but I'm doubtful just because of how hard I tried with the easy out and it wouldn't budge. I have no thread showing on either side of the casting. I had about 1/16" inside, but it was the mushroomed bolt. I dremmeled that down flush with the casting hoping that would allow me to extract the bolt, but no luck. I have an extractor coming that is supposed to work in either direction- left or right thread. I'm hoping with that I can screw the remaining bolt into the casting and go from there. We'll see. Anyway, thanks to all for the suggestions. I know I have a lot to learn.
When you drill the center of the broken bolt out, with a left hand bit, you are simultaneously attempting to turn the bolt out while drilling.
It frequently works,....particularly if the LH drill bit is sized properly to remove most of the broken bolt diameter.

/ Adjustment bolt size on Pat's Easy Change and a short introduction for a new member #37  
Thanks. I'll have to get a set of those.

/ Adjustment bolt size on Pat's Easy Change and a short introduction for a new member #38  
I’ve gone through the bent bolt experience with the soft bolts they supplied. Then broke them off trying to extract. Had to take it to a machine shop.
I use a harder grade bolt now, but don’t bother to tighten them down much. What’s the point? The pin takes the load.
The Pat’s hook eliminates the ball ball swivel that a regular lift arm has that swivels when you lift and lower the attachment. I believe that not having some “sloop” that lets the Pats swivel in the ball is what bends the bolts, so I leave some play.

Last edited:
   / Adjustment bolt size on Pat's Easy Change and a short introduction for a new member #39  
I've had good success with Pats with several attachments that use plain lift arm pins, but my box blade and tiller use clevis style attachments, and I've had trouble getting the Pats aligned straight enough to get attached without a lot of moving the implement around- almost like using the rotating balls that the tractor came with. It was when trying to get a better alignment I broke the bolts off. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

/ Adjustment bolt size on Pat's Easy Change and a short introduction for a new member #40  
Stumbled onto this thread in searching out what the size of the bolts are for the Pat's EZ Hitch. Are all 4 suppose to be the same length? Mine have bent on one side and had fun getting them out but I got it done without further issue. I thought I had read where they are now using grade 5. Seems to be hard to find full threaded 3/8-16 bolts in grade 5 that are over 1 and 1/2 inches around here.