Air Compressor WARNING!

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #111  
Compressor Question. I fixed my buddies dewalt compressor. It needed the pressure switch and i rebuilt the control valve, easy peasy.

It runs fine, gets up to about 200 lbs and shuts off. I have drained it.

If it just lays there, unused, about how long should it go before it cycles back on. I'm not sure but, i might have a leak.

I will go back and look but I'm curious , what is normal?

thx
Hours if not days.
Depends on how leakproof it is.

Aaron Z

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #112  
Very timely, I just rewired and old compressor that could hold over 200 psi... once I got it cranked up, it popped a hole in the bottom (very low pressure). This tank sat in my basement for a long time (to be fixed). Finally got around to it and the hole happened... first thought was... it's cast iron, weld or braze?

Looking for a donor tank at the moment...

I tried a tank repair experiment.
First: Put some OSPHO in the tank, and sloshed it around a bit, and let it sit for several days.
Then drained the OSPHO, and hooked the blower end of a vacuum to the tank with all tank fittings removed.
When I believed it to be dry, added a wet mix of two part marine epoxy to the tank, allowing the epoxy to lay in the bottom.
Waited a week,
Process worked.
The tank is still in use 5 years later

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #113  
   / Air Compressor WARNING! #114  
Doesn't say, although the barrel had held waste oil and gasoline at some point

. and an update said the barrel contained a small amount of liquid.

Sounds like he didn't take any precautions at all . Lit the torch and pierced the top with an Oxy / Acetylene torch...

Bet he never does that again.

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #115  
When you see the result of the valve on a large Oxygen cylinder break off; changes you perspective fast. when I went to welding shop at high school we had to change out cylinders on the manifold. Kid moved a full cylinder w/o the cap on. Lost control and it became a rocket. Went through a reinforced concrete block wall and destroyed the door on a parked car 20 feet away. Lucky he was behind it.

Ron

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #116  
Hours if not days.
Depends on how leakproof it is.

Aaron Z

Thx, that's what i thought. i fixed my friends but it only goes 1 hour before recycling, if left alone. i think i better rewrap all his old connections. better than nothing!

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #117  
Thx, that's what i thought. i fixed my friends but it only goes 1 hour before recycling, if left alone. i think i better rewrap all his old connections. better than nothing!

My compressor hardly loses air at all. What I did was buy quarter turn valves and install then by the quick couplers. That has saved considerable compressor cycling. I basically don't hear the compressor run unless I use air.

/ Air Compressor WARNING!
My compressor serves Five buildings. Every coupler has a small quarter turn valve. The losses otherwise would be unacceptable. Not to mention, once in a while an air hose blows which could leave the compressor running.

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #119  
Good comment - more to see and learn here than everything else combined

/ Air Compressor WARNING! #120  

An old spray bottle with a little dish soap and water sprayed on the connections after it pumps up should find any leaks.