All bad idea on tree removal

/ All bad idea on tree removal #21  
31115-n0_2637358.png

Just kidding.

/ All bad idea on tree removal #22  
I am curious why digging at the tree roots with a backhoe and then pushing the tree over with the hoe is a bad idea? Realizing trees have a direction that they prefer to fall, and with nothing around to "be in the way" that might change the direction of fall, what could go wrong? I would assume that the digging only happens on one side of the tree, thereby allowing the roots on the other side to help prevent the tree from coming back towards the tractor. (Probably something in this I am missing). Doing it with a dead tree would not be considered, and doing it from a ladder is (sorry RSKY) just stupid!!
David from jax

For some, just getting in and driving a car is a bad idea. I'd be concerned that in an effort to acquire the tree fall, the operator may attempt to dig all around the tree. The tree may be hanging in by a thread and as the operator is repositioning his machine, the tree might fall and possibly on the operator . If that happens, one is not going to remove himself from the danger on a machine as fast as if he were on the ground. In my logging career, I've just seen trees do things no one expected.

/ All bad idea on tree removal #23  
I use chains that are long enough so that the tree can't fall on me - attached as far up the tree as is reasonable for the task. But every tree is a bit different so tactics sometimes have to be different. It also matters whether you need the stump out as well.

/ All bad idea on tree removal #24  
Them dead branches up in the tree may get loose with a jar to the trunk.

/ All bad idea on tree removal #25  
Them dead branches up in the tree may get loose with a jar to the trunk.
Absolutely understand that, which is why a "dead" tree isn't a prime candidate for this operation. However... If I see limbs of any size that are dead, I tend to want to take a more care look at the tree!
David from jax

/ All bad idea on tree removal #26  
...Doing it with a dead tree would not be considered, and doing it from a ladder is (sorry RSKY) just stupid!!....

I agree. I would never try to cut roots from a ladder, either.

:)

Bruce

/ All bad idea on tree removal #27  
I am curious why digging at the tree roots with a backhoe and then pushing the tree over with the hoe is a bad idea? Realizing trees have a direction that they prefer to fall, and with nothing around to "be in the way" that might change the direction of fall, what could go wrong? I would assume that the digging only happens on one side of the tree, thereby allowing the roots on the other side to help prevent the tree from coming back towards the tractor. (Probably something in this I am missing). Doing it with a dead tree would not be considered, and doing it from a ladder is (sorry RSKY) just stupid!!
David from jax

The one time I tried this, the "digging on only one side" thing wasn't going to be enough to get the tree loose, so we dug just a little more. Well, that was enough, which we discovered when a very light, shifting breeze kicked up and got the tree moving in multiple, unpredictable directions. Then it was a scramble to position the backhoe to push the tree down where we wanted it. It all turned out OK, but that was a lesson I never forgot. I never wanted my equipment digging around the foot of a standing tree after that because the direction of fall is far less certain. If it situation goes bad, you and your equipment are sitting ducks.

Regarding the video, standing dead trees are potential killers, as are close together trees with overlapping tops. Also, if you read the details in the link, that was a work crew who were taking down that tree under protest on boss's orders because he was in a hurry. They saw the danger and the idiot was the bossman!

/ All bad idea on tree removal #28  
I could never figure why anyone would attempt to push over a tree. That's what chain saws were made for. In nearly 25 years of tractor ownership, I had never even thought of it until I found this forum.

/ All bad idea on tree removal #29  
People do dumb stuff to not have to deal with a stump. I agree, chain saws are made for cutting down trees, not a tractor.

I have all pines, and when the wood dries on a standing dead tree, the tree develops splits length wise. Pushing it over would simply break on the length wise splits and there is no telling where the tree would go. In fact, just cutting it with a chain saw is dangerous.

/ All bad idea on tree removal #30  
When I purchased this house, with detached two story garage, there was a fence fifteen foot from the garage and about 15 large pine trees in the area directly behind the garage that had grown upwards due to not being able to grow outwards. One had died and took out the roof with it. Finding someone to inexpensively remove all of those trees and clean up their mess was cost prohibitive to say the least. The weekend before I had to have the garage roof replaced (and before I owned the place because Mortgage Company required new roof before closing and seller passed away, so an estate deal) I rented a 310 John Deere backhoe and started digging and pushing them over. With a building right up against the trees, I was extremely careful with what was going on. Was I lucky or just rented enough machine to handle the task at hand? Once the trees hit the ground, my Wife had no problem finding someone to come take them off at no cost. (I was an OTR truck driver, no time to spare...getting rid of them was top priority)
David from jax