Amazon?

/ Amazon? #331  
Those robocalls are from private businesses wanting to sell you crap. The government doesn’t have time or interest in watching you. You are too boring to watch (like most of us).
Not even selling crap. Most are scams.

On an entertaining note. I misdialed a number to one of my big vendors. Apparently their number is 1 digit off from an adult content phone line.

Had my office phone on speaker just as my boss walked into my office as it was answered That was some awkward explaining

Luckily I still had the "contact us" screen pulled up on my computer and was able to show my boss where I screwed up.

/ Amazon? #332  
The market for jobs right now is very much in the court of those looking for work.
This is what they say on the news and business TV channels. I wonder what it is really like for those in their twenties and thirties looking for jobs that provide a decent living.

/ Amazon? #333  
This is what they say on the news and business TV channels. I wonder what it is really like for those in their twenties and thirties looking for jobs that provide a decent living.
I can tell you from the employer side.

Finding a good candidate to fill a position is extremely hard.

We get warm bodies applying for a position all the time. But they either can't pass the drug test (DOT), can't pass the background check, price themselves out of a position, job hoppers, or got canned from their last jobs and on the "he!! No" list for rehire.

Company I work for pays well and has great benefits. But it also costs the company a butt load to train someone. So you want to find that stable person thats gonna stick around and be a good addition to the team. Not spend 3 months and $$$$ training them just to have them quit.

Others show up to the interview with a poor attitude and unrealistic demands.

/ Amazon? #334  
The job market is really good for young adults with a college degree or tech school training. My son recently got multiple job offers in his field (all entry level career with benefits) within a few months of graduating. The market for high paying positions for young people with no advanced education or skills training is not so good. People make choices.

/ Amazon? #335  
Company I work for pays well and has great benefits. But it also costs the company a butt load to train someone. So you want to find that stable person thats gonna stick around and be a good addition to the team. Not spend 3 months and $$$$ training them just to have them quit.
Why would anyone quit a job with good pay and benefits? Your company sounds like the one that hired me fresh out of university. It was an honor to be hired, and I felt privileged to be accepted in a company of people I admired and had so much to teach me. There was no thought of quitting even though I was worth more and more on the job market with every passing year. My ambition was to advance my career and get to run the company one day. I quit after ten years for personal reasons and was given a great farewell dinner by my boss and colleagues. I still have fond memories.

/ Amazon? #336  
I check on items prices now and then and in general, Amazonie is about the same price or less so as other on-line retailers so we'll get it from them. From them it arrives faster and it can easily be returned.
This is what many fail to understand about Amazon's business model and success - it has nothing to do with price, it's all about service and convenience. It's like having a personal shopper where you can tell it you need to buy this random list of things, then instead of you having to spend your day driving to Walmart, then the hardware store, then over to Tractor Supply and then maybe the grocery store where they may have what you need but maybe not, it does all that for you and drops it all off on your doorstep the next day. The same day in some cases. And if you're not happy with anything you bought just drop it back in the mail and your money is refunded immediately no questions asked. Add in the Prime streaming and it's a deal of the century no-brainer.

/ Amazon? #337  
It's like it always was just on steroids. You can't have 3 felony convictions, face tattoos and no education and still expect to find a job that provides a "decent living" no matter how desperate businesses get. OTOH, if you have marketable skills and a personality this side of toxic it should be easier than ever.

I can tell you from the employer side.

Finding a good candidate to fill a position is extremely hard.
That's probably the understatement of the year. Finding a competent employee was hard before, it's all but impossible now especially if you're doing anything that requires a certain amount of skill and intelligence. IMO that's the real reason you see the wealth gap continue to widen and so many protesting about jobs and money - there just aren't enough smart, skilled people in the general population to fill all the needs of the modern workplace so you have a bunch of businesses desperate for employees yet there are still tons of people who can't find a job that pays a decent living. The gap there is just too large.

We always want to fall back on training and education as the answer but there's a huge chunk of the population that can be given all the training and education in the world and they'll still be completely incapable of performing even a moderately challenging job, and their numbers are growing. What do you do with all those people who lack the smarts and the emotional intelligence to ever do work that has meaningful value? Back in the day we would give them a shovel and tell them to dig coal, or hand them a wrench and have them install bumpers on an assembly line. Today the option is cooking fries or stocking shelves but even those will be automated away at some point.

/ Amazon? #338  
I have been a member of Prime for years and have found it very useful. Living in the country near a very small city affords me little access to parts and items not available at TSC or a hardware store. (I ordered a weird part for a 1998 Cub Cadet drive shaft and got it in 3 days.) It's also hard to drop everything on the farm and spend a half day running to down and hitting various stores for something needed by minor. Amazon has almost always had what I needed and delivered it in 1 to 3 days. I don't know what delivery is like in urban areas, but here the drivers have been great - frequently driving all the say down my mile-long gravel driveway to leave packages at the house. I've had some nice chats with them. No complaints at all. Maybe the issues are more geographic.

/ Amazon? #339  
It's like it always was just on steroids. You can't have 3 felony convictions, face tattoos and no education and still expect to find a job that provides a "decent living" no matter how desperate businesses get. OTOH, if you have marketable skills and a personality this side of toxic it should be easier than ever.

That's probably the understatement of the year. Finding a competent employee was hard before, it's all but impossible now especially if you're doing anything that requires a certain amount of skill and intelligence. IMO that's the real reason you see the wealth gap continue to widen and so many protesting about jobs and money - there just aren't enough smart, skilled people in the general population to fill all the needs of the modern workplace so you have a bunch of businesses desperate for employees yet there are still tons of people who can't find a job that pays a decent living. The gap there is just too large.

We always want to fall back on training and education as the answer but there's a huge chunk of the population that can be given all the training and education in the world and they'll still be completely incapable of performing even a moderately challenging job, and their numbers are growing. What do you do with all those people who lack the smarts and the emotional intelligence to ever do work that has meaningful value? Back in the day we would give them a shovel and tell them to dig coal, or hand them a wrench and have them install bumpers on an assembly line. Today the option is cooking fries or stocking shelves but even those will be automated away at some point.
Some have the knowledge, just lack the motivation. Lazy good for nothing SOB's with an attitude problem and huge chip on their shoulder, thinking they should be paid more then the manager because they are smarter.

Even though the job position they applied for was entry level with zero experience under there belt.

Zero motivation to learn the buisiness, and that's if they even bother showing up that day.

I know someone locally who said they only needed to work 40hrs per week to cover there bills. They were offered as much overtime as they wanted. Raise after 90 days based on performance. Then annual raises each year based off performance and review. Good benefits package as well.

The excuse why they quit was because they couldn't afford insurance on their vehicle. Person was working 12hr shifts. As soon as they hit 40hrs they clocked out and went home.

Seems like it wouldn't have cost them any more to finish their shift and pocket that 8hrs of OT.

/ Amazon? #340  

The skilled trades are great options for those not interested in college. Ever try to schedule a plumber recently?