An future end to DPF Diesels?

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #21  
As someone who drives 100 miles a day round trip to and from work, my wallet just winced. Gas runs about $2.25/gal around me, and I still put $65-$70 worth of gas in my truck each week. I couldn't imagine paying triple that...

Average salary here is around 1050$. Average rent for a decent house is around 500$, plus electricity, TV+internet, water and gas that will add another 150$, plus around 120$ of fuel for a months worth of work trips. If you add all that up, won't be much left over for essential stuff like food and such.

That average salary is way too misleading as the minimum average here is 670$. Most people here will earn the minimum salary, if you add a 400$ rent, you'll realize it's almost impossible to live.

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #22  
Average salary here is around 1050$. Average rent for a decent house is around 500$, plus electricity, TV+internet, water and gas that will add another 150$, plus around 120$ of fuel for a months worth of work trips. If you add all that up, won't be much left over for essential stuff like food and such.

That average salary is way too misleading as the minimum average here is 670$. Most people here will earn the minimum salary, if you add a 400$ rent, you'll realize it's almost impossible to live.

Yup!
Portugal is a beautiful country for us Americans to visit.
Very inexpensive ( for us ).
Many years ago I lived just over the border in Spain.
Spent time in the Azores too.....beautiful!

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #23  
Laboratory testing is one thing real world use is another. But I think the real devil is the use of DEF and anybody who lives in a legitimate cold climate will know what I'm talking about. DEF has gotta be the most asinine thing to have to use on a diesel engine. Firstly it freezes below -15 degrees celsius and it can easily go to -40 degrees celsius here with a -50C windchill (no climate change or global warming or climate emergency's here), the water in DEF can evaporate leaving what are basically salt crystals behind which will bugger up the system, and it is corrosive to metals and due to to that often cause sensor failures. DPF's can fail too especially with excessive idling but my experience with them is they are slightly more reliable in cold climates. I like many other Heavy Equipment Operators, Truckers, mechanics, and farmers hate tier 4 and think that if conventional diesel fuel is so bad it's not the exhaust that needs to be tamed its the fuel or the combustion process that needs to be changed. So if this system can work without DEF or DPF that would be great but I'm sure it will take forever before the manufacturers and the ridiculous and overreaching EPA can adopt it.

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #24  
IMO everything is driven by profit, suddenly there is a huge demand for a fluid that I understood was a bi-product during production. As baked in as DEF is now we will never get rid of it unless the liberal lab rats determine it causes cancer.
Never thought I would be the one to say this but maybe if the Diesel HP / towing capacity race would end we could see better MPG's and lower maintenance costs along with extended life expectancy.

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #25  
Hope this is the answer. Diesels of today remind me of Cars from the 80' with all those vacuum lines, smog pump and lousy performance.
I think modern diesels had a lot more performance than ever before.

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #26  
Laboratory testing is one thing real world use is another. But I think the real devil is the use of DEF and anybody who lives in a legitimate cold climate will know what I'm talking about. DEF has gotta be the most asinine thing to have to use on a diesel engine. Firstly it freezes below -15 degrees celsius and it can easily go to -40 degrees celsius here with a -50C windchill (no climate change or global warming or climate emergency's here), the water in DEF can evaporate leaving what are basically salt crystals behind which will bugger up the system, and it is corrosive to metals and due to to that often cause sensor failures. DPF's can fail too especially with excessive idling but my experience with them is they are slightly more reliable in cold climates. I like many other Heavy Equipment Operators, Truckers, mechanics, and farmers hate tier 4 and think that if conventional diesel fuel is so bad it's not the exhaust that needs to be tamed its the fuel or the combustion process that needs to be changed. So if this system can work without DEF or DPF that would be great but I'm sure it will take forever before the manufacturers and the ridiculous and overreaching EPA can adopt it.

Today's Tier IV DEF/DPF equipment will very likely become pariah equipment within the next ten years.
The likely result will be low resale value.

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #27  
Today's Tier IV DEF/DPF equipment will very likely become pariah equipment within the next ten years.
The likely result will be low resale value.

Yes. Those that can deal with the issues will be able to buy used equipment at a bargain price. Those that can't will be forced to buy the "new" version of "clean" at an elevated price of course.

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #28  
Sad part i work on electronics for a living and have my engineering degree and refuse any diesel that requires electronics to run. No need for it. I'll keep my old mahindra 485 as long as I can and I will always have a truck with 12V Cummins with a mechanical pump. They just last and are reliable.

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #29  
I do think we need to be cognizant of the concerns of diesel emissions. Nothing irks me more than to see some kid purposely mis-tune his diesel pick-up so it will smoke (They think that is cool, makes them look like they are ready to enter a tractor pull or something).

Diesels do emit a higher amount of particulates and their high combustion temperatures do create more NOX. They are not desirable features of a diesel. But we also have to be intelligent about how we address them. Currently we are not using much intelligence. Diesels also have a lot of things going for them over gasoline engines. The pre-mentioned article does appear to address the drawbacks in a more intelligent manner and I hope it pans out.

Someone earlier mentioned diesel over electric vehicles. Nothing I'd love to see more than a diesel version of a Chevy Volt.

/ An future end to DPF Diesels? #30  
found this DFI Vid from Sandia Special Recogonition R&D

R&D 100 Special Recognition 2019: Ducted Fuel Injection - YouTube

Soot reduced by ~95% :thumbsup:
Looks like the initial research has been done on Direct Injected engines and have not seen any testing on indirect injected diesels yet.

Would be a great aftermarket for any consumer used diesel engines to be able to just buy a set of DFI injectors run clean and save fuel at the same time, But from the size of the added nozzle unit- it looks like many diesel heads might need to be bored out in the stock injector location to a larger diameter to allow a DFI modded injector to be replaceable.

From the vids soot reduction during combustion, good possibility the engine oil would be somewhat like gas engine owners experience when switching from gas to propane.

Maybe also the ability extend oil changes because the carbon content has been greatly reduced.
Diesel engines no longer having black oil at oil change time?

If this can be easily adopted to existing diesels en mass it really does look to be a game changer.

Last edited: