Another 8N newbie question (s) thread!

/ Another 8N newbie question (s) thread!
And of course @EdGooding , mine had to be an oddball!
FC7E0224-1001-4494-AA8C-80F65234166C.jpeg
9FD9F7E4-F7C1-49EA-96C0-283F49ACE9C5.jpeg

/ Another 8N newbie question (s) thread! #15  
The 8N-B you see cast into the engine indicates a 2nd generation 8N block that was fitted for the side-mount (aka angle drive) distributor. It also indicates that your engine came from the factory with .040 steel sleeves, but that doesn't mean this was not changed during a subsequent engine rebuild. The 8N-C was the last generation of this engine and indicated that it came from the factory with .090 cast iron sleeves.

/ Another 8N newbie question (s) thread!
The 8N-B you see cast into the engine indicates a 2nd generation 8N block that was fitted for the side-mount (aka angle drive) distributor. It also indicates that your engine came from the factory with .040 steel sleeves, but that doesn't mean this was not changed during a subsequent engine rebuild. The 8N-C was the last generation of this engine and indicated that it came from the factory with .090 cast iron sleeves.
The previous owner had it for 30+ years and never opened the engine up. The engine certainly feels ‘soft’ but is running fine so I’ll not mess with it for now.
I’m just doing fluids etc and when draining the transmission/ rear end, the oil was predictably milky but front drain plug/cap had no sediment in it, middle had a lot of rust/sludge in it and rear plug with magnet had a small amount of iron filings on it. Strange that the middle one had so much rusty debris in it.

/ Another 8N newbie question (s) thread! #17  
The transmission and diff both get a lot of splash lubrication coating the housing, the hydraulic pump area does not have the splash going on so the condensation is more likely to cause rust to form on the uncoated/less coated parts located in there.