Another backhoe question

/ Another backhoe question #31  
When we got our place our first machine was a Komatsu WB140 backhoe. With 98hp, a 1.1 yard 4in1 bucket, 4WD and an extend-a-hoe it’s a beast. Have pulled huge trees out of the creek, dug 6’ deep trenches for our geothermal system, stumps - it’s hard to stop. But it is very big, hard to get into tight areas, and at 18,000# the ruts in damp soil are a problem. So we got a Takeuchi TL230 track loader, and it’s my go to machine. Great for spreading dirt and grading (I struggled grading with the Komatsu, couldn’t see what was going on in front of the bucket), put a grapple on it and it’s excellent for brush cleanup, put a auger on it and it makes quick work of drilling holes for 100 trees. So I would suggest looking into a compact track loader, good traction, can work in wet weather without making a big mess, good visibility (everything is right in front of you) and an enormous range of attachments allow you to adapt / grow with your needs and budget. If you contemplate putting a mower / mulcher on it in the future look for a cab machine.

/ Another backhoe question #32  
I know the "backhoe or not" subject has been discussed many times here. I have read many of the threads. Love all the knowledge here. I seem to read either:
-Everyone is crazy, mine is great
-Waste of money overall

My question is... if I don't expect the BH to be a mini-ex, and I do my projects SLOWLY and CAREFULLY, couldn't I get a lot done??
Sounds like you’ve thought it through well. The bottom line is if you foresee a long string of long-term and quick projects over the years, a backhoe will pay off. I bought a Kubota BH77 backhoe when I got my L3901 five years ago and have literally spent most of the 480 hours using the backhoe along with the front end loader digging trenches for water lines and drain pipes, cutting trails through the woods, digging a small pond, and even installing a septic system, just to name a few projects. It has definitely paid for itself!

/ Another backhoe question #33  
I've had an old Case 580C (1980) on the farm for over 15 years. It is open station and as someone mentioned, those types are available at a sizeable discount. If it died tomorrow, I'd immediately buy another one. It weighs about 15K or 16K and will pick up 5K in the front bucket (which you will use far more often than you think). The only thing I would probably like to have is 4WD and an Extend-a-Hoe version for the boom.
No, a backhoe will not do everything as fast as you might want, but overall is far more useful than other offerings. The pond...just hire a bulldozer and stand back.
Tall trees are really no problem for a backhoe - you don't normally push with the bucket, you simply cut the root leaders out from the tree and push it over with the boom. Skid it where you want it after.
If the engine, pump, and drive train are sound, all you're going to be replacing are lines and hydraulic seals/packing over the years. When you're finished with your projects, sell it for about what you paid. But I bet you won't. Your tractor is always free to be doing other things without hooking stuff up. And, as an opinion, small machines/tractors with backhoes are not heavy enough and really put some pressure on the prime mover over time.
Good Luck.

/ Another backhoe question #34  
Years ago our neighbor had an underground water leak. He asked my father to come over with a Brantly backhoe mounted on a 400 JD to come over and dig up the pipe. They worked at it for a few hours and hardly scratched the surface. They called me to see if I could borrow my employers 580 Case. Yep yo guessed that 580 was down to the pipe in a few minutes, it took me longer to come and go than actual dig time.
My advise would be to know what you want to do, consider all options then purchase what you feel would do what you want. If it doesn't work out for a smaller unit look for a larger used one, but don't expect to get new price for a used unit. Yes everybody wants one but at a discount price.

/ Another backhoe question #35  
As several posters have mentioned its a very personal choice based on what 'you' think you can do with it. I have had 3 previous tractors with backhoes. The only one that could do serious backhoe work was an old Ford 4000. My 1st 2 Kubotas (B7200 and L3400) were both 4wd hst units with appropriately sized backhoes. The Kubotas were useful for trench digging and tree planting. In our rocky area they were often 'overchallenged' when trying to move boulders. If you, like me, want to remove stumps and aren't on the clock, they were just fine. Any decent sized oak stump could take hours with the L3400 where the old Ford could rip them out in 15-20 minutes.
I bought my current L3800 a few years ago and haven't missed the backhoe. A post hole digger, subsoiler and stump bucket have been all I need.

/ Another backhoe question #36  
I have a Kioti CK20 with loader and Backhoe + other implements. I did trenching, fencing and other jobs for a living with it and a slightly smaller Kubota before the Kioti for about 16 years. I did dig a few addition footings also. Your machine is bigger, so it would probably do a quite few of your jobs without much trouble (maybe not the pond). Just be sure to get a hoe with a subframe not a 3 point hitch model, it will definitely save you some grief.

/ Another backhoe question #37  
My New Holland TC45 tractor with a sub frame mount BH has more than paid for it self over the 20 years I have owned it.
I built a castered dolly for the BH making it very EZ to put on the tractor and the attachment can be stored in an obsecure corner or the barn when not in use.

would a tracked excavator be a better digging choice? The answer is yes, but who can afford to have that kind of money tied up for an occasional use?

/ Another backhoe question #38  
Our BH offers the needed occasional counter weight. Priceless, so many times.
It has also pushed us out of a stuck situation. Wife sometimes gets into places (in swamp) & there is no going forward. Sometimes I think she does this to renew our marriage vows.

Would never get rid of either of them.

/ Another backhoe question #39  
When we got our place our first machine was a Komatsu WB140 backhoe. With 98hp, a 1.1 yard 4in1 bucket, 4WD and an extend-a-hoe it’s a beast. Have pulled huge trees out of the creek, dug 6’ deep trenches for our geothermal system, stumps - it’s hard to stop. But it is very big, hard to get into tight areas, and at 18,000# the ruts in damp soil are a problem. So we got a Takeuchi TL230 track loader, and it’s my go to machine. Great for spreading dirt and grading (I struggled grading with the Komatsu, couldn’t see what was going on in front of the bucket), put a grapple on it and it’s excellent for brush cleanup, put a auger on it and it makes quick work of drilling holes for 100 trees. So I would suggest looking into a compact track loader, good traction, can work in wet weather without making a big mess, good visibility (everything is right in front of you) and an enormous range of attachments allow you to adapt / grow with your needs and budget. If you contemplate putting a mower / mulcher on it in the future look for a cab machine.
Didn't know what you meant by a track loader.

I'd call that a skid steer with tracks.

/ Another backhoe question #40  
I have a BH on my ag tractor and agree with all the comments. It's nice to have, but limited in capability. A mini-ex would be nicer for my purposes, but there's the difference in cost that I couldn't justify. It paid for itself in just a couple years.

One other thing - there are 2 types of BH that mount on ag tractors. One is a 3 point hitch mount - you don't really want to go this route and I'm not even sure you can get one any more. Two is a subframe mount that is much sturdier and much less likely to damage your tractor.