Grapple Another Grapple post, new member

/ Another Grapple post, new member #1  

Buckeye Guy

Bronze Member
Tractor
MF GC1725M, Ferris IS2100Z, Kawasaki Mule Pro MX
Hello everyone, new to the forum, in fact this is my first post, thanks for letting me join. Just bought a new GC1725M with fel a few weeks ago, and of course now looking at adding attachments. Not my first tractor, but my first new one. I've owned 3 others but they were all at least 10 years old when i got them, the last one I sold 6 years ago to buy a new Ferris IS2100Z (best mower ever IMO) because I had my property in good shape and was only using the tractor to mow. Now, 6 years later and I have hundreds of dead Ash trees due to the EAB. After cutting down 31 trees this past winter without a having a tractor for cleanup, I decided I needed another one. It kicked my butt.
I cut down 13 trees in one day this past winter and rented a skid steer with a root grapple for cleanup. it was awesome, but it destroyed my yard (too heavy for the soft wet ground) so I decided to get a lighter tractor and add a smaller grapple.
After doing weeks of research (on this site and others) I narrowed it down to a 48" to 54" rake grapple, or the thumb by Greens machine. all the root style were too heavy for my machine IMO, even though they were the most reasonably priced for my budget. I just received my third function kit and will install it this weekend.
I really wanted to take advantage of the SSQA on my loader and buy a separate grapple, but I decided to go with the thumb by greens machine. I went with this one for 3 reasons; it will do everything I want it to do, maybe not as efficiently, but still effective. 2nd it was one third the price of my second choice. 3rd, it's lightweight. I ordered it this week along with a Piranha tooth bar, can't wait to install them both!
Thanks to the members i messaged about their thumb grapples, it really helped my decision. I'm currently building a carry all for my machine also, I will post pics when I am done along with pics of the grapple.

/ Another Grapple post, new member #2  
Welcome to the forum! I'll have to check out the Greens thumb thingy.

/ Another Grapple post, new member #3  
:welcome: and thanks for linking another interesting product. I usually keep a grapple on my 'main' tractor. (vert, horiz) Weight is indeed an issue, and the Greens Thumb looks like a sure winner for lesser capacity FELs. (like mine three :eek:)

I bet you'd be happy with it and expect you could add a diverter setup for the 'thumb' for ~what you'd $ave over buying a full-on SSQA grapple. :)

/ Another Grapple post, new member #4  
:welcome: and thanks for linking another interesting product. I usually keep a grapple on my 'main' tractor. (vert, horiz) Weight is indeed an issue, and the Greens Thumb looks like a sure winner for lesser capacity FELs. (like mine three :eek:)

I bet you'd be happy with it and expect you could add a diverter setup for the 'thumb' for ~what you'd $ave over buying a full-on SSQA grapple. :)

Love your Avatar! :thumbsup: :drink:

/ Another Grapple post, new member #5  
I run my Green thumb from the rear remote via long hoses.
It took very little time to adjust to using the separate lever to operate it. And with no additional cost for more hydraulics.