Anvils???

/ Anvils??? #41  
IMG_0928.JPG

When you find a anvil make a good stand. Often the most over looked and under appreciated shop tool. A chunk of wood on concrete floor is poor. A timber 6’ in the ground better. The anvil is not suppose to move when struck. This one is made from 8x16x0.31” steel tube. Inside filled with 8’ of railroad rail, and grout made with years of plasma cutting dross and drops, drill press sharps, 50# steel shot, 50# sandblasting media and cement. >700# before anvil. Solid attachment bedded in Vulkem gives great rebound and is quiet. Similar filled tube with large base for 6” leg vise. Note receiver hitch to hold other shop tools like benders or rollers. Use a leg vise as much as an anvil for my blacksmithing.

Anvil is loan from a friend. This area changed sides during the civil war several times. To hobble the other army anvils were either broke or dropped in deep water. His family had a story that they buried the anvil in the garden to protect it. Not knowing what happened afterwards till recently, 40years, a tractor plowing hit it. Lost the makers marks and a few pounds from rust from being buried. Now 136#. Would bring $800 around here as there is a surge of interest, family history priceless.

Looked for over 10 years for a good used anvil. Minute late or dollar short a couple of times. Beating on modern steel cold ruined many farm anvils. Bought a new Peddinghaus thru ZORO tool, 30% discount during one of their sales. Free shipping and tax exempt. Took 5 months to get it. Weight 275#. $4.54/#.
IMG_1050.JPG

Lot of semi to professional smiths prefer an anvil with wear and a little saddle for smoother work.

/ Anvils??? #45  
I got my anvil back in the mid-80s. I wanted one and put a wanted ad in the local Farmer's Market Bulletin. I got several calls and looked at some that were too beat up or too large. The one I bought from an old farmer weighs 88 pounds and I paid $45 back
then. I use it all the time for odd projects. I don't know who made it, but it is pretty old.

Anvil.jpg

/ Anvils??? #47  
I got my anvil back in the mid-80s. I wanted one and put a wanted ad in the local Farmer's Market Bulletin. I got several calls and looked at some that were too beat up or too large. The one I bought from an old farmer weighs 88 pounds and I paid $45 back
then. I use it all the time for odd projects. I don't know who made it, but it is pretty old.

View attachment 679105

Nice. Might be a Peter Wright.

/ Anvils??? #48  

View attachment 679105

Seems a bit like mine (though to some degree all ~100 pound anvils might look the same :) )
I think mine is like a 1928 Sheffield or something, if that's even a thing, I haven't looked in a long while and it was hard to read because of age and abuse.

I'm always amazed at the abuse it takes from me without a scratch, and also amazed at the fact that it's heavily worn from past use.

/ Anvils??? #49  
This is the first image that comes to mind whenever I think ANVIL...

IMG_0125.jpg