Anvils???

/ Anvils??? #63  
I have a workbench made of 5 inch C channel and
a 3/8" steel deck plate, with a heavy old bench vise on it, once bought at a farm auction. I dont need an anvil..

My brother is a farrier and bought a 250 pound anvil, because the small one he bought new, bounced too much. He leaves it in his van behind the sliding side door as its too heavy to carry out by a single person.

/ Anvils??? #66  
For those interest in making coal forge for almost nothing($$$)...

DIY Coal Forge

Dale

That's really only for small jobs. If you want to heat something longer, you need to add what we call "kidneys" Railroad wagon brake shoes work too.

Attachments

• gg.jpg
    gg.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 92
   / Anvils??? #67  
For those interest in making coal forge for almost nothing($$$)...

DIY Coal Forge

Dale

Any reason not to use a box of dirt for a base along with some firebrick, a 2" pipe coming in from the side and a hair dryer (actually a heat gun) as a first forge? And I plan to use the wood charcoal for fuel - no coal/coke available.

/ Anvils??? #68  
Any reason not to use a box of dirt for a base along with some firebrick, a 2" pipe coming in from the side and a hair dryer (actually a heat gun) as a first forge? And I plan to use the wood charcoal for fuel - no coal/coke available.

NO.... I just prefer the style of the build I posted ... Its really just a personal thing.... Its like some like charcoal (been around for several thousand years) and the late comers, coal and gas forges and some like induction heaters....

Dale

/ Anvils??? #69  
and a 200 pound John Brooks

View attachment 667403

I have a 175# anvil that I got from my dad after he died 51 years ago at 42 years old. I got that and a 10' welding wood work bench covered with heavy gauge sheet steel and some 1/2" pate covering the end 2 feet or so for the anvil placement. Of all the small hand tools I got when he passed away, the anvil will always have a place in my heart, as strange as that seems.