Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ?????

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #61  
There is no utopia anywhere. Always something that could be better. Where ever you can be happy is where you want to be. Farm, ranch, suburb or where ever. Almost every place has something good going for it for someone. Being 80 miles from the closest Walmart is great for me & my sweetie. It might not be for you. Get the stress out of your life & learn to be happy. Turn off the TV & learn how to live. Some folks can do it in the big city & some of us need more space.

My little piece of happiness.

22.jpg

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #62  
There is no utopia anywhere. Always something that could be better. Where ever you can be happy is where you want to be. Farm, ranch, suburb or where ever. Almost every place has something good going for it for someone. Being 80 miles from the closest Walmart is great for me & my sweetie. It might not be for you. Get the stress out of your life & learn to be happy. Turn off the TV & learn how to live. Some folks can do it in the big city & some of us need more space.

My little piece of happiness.

View attachment 395516

Being from Texas, you of all people should know that there is a Utopia.

Utopia, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

:D

Beautiful property, by the way.

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ?????
Update and pictures.
Headed to Sanford for work on property early this week. Going through know ticket trap at 35 mph. Minivan looked to be slowing for stop sign. 20 feet from intersection they accelerated right in front of me. Have 2 eyewitness both behind and sitting at adjacent stop sign, they both thought other driver assumed it was 4 way stop.
Ended up being a load of Chinese people only one could speak English.
Probably totaled my truck as it is a 2001 3500. Low miles nice truck diesel bought it new. Broke my cell phone on steering wheel, knee looks like some one hit it with baseball bat.
Allstate ( Chinese peoples insurance ) is trying hard to dodge claim.
Anyway these are pictures of houses.
Main House Front.jpgMain House Rear 3.jpgGuest House 2.jpg

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #64  
Man, you have had a spot of bad luck. Hope your knee isn't too bad and you get the insurance thing worked out.

You have a great looking place.

Larro

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #65  
NC Redneck,
Depends....how do you see the next 30 years of your life...What do you plan on doing with the land...? Hopefully NOT divide and develop. Do you plan on setting up a small farm, you'll need help (which is NOT necessarily a bad thing).
I'm 57 too, and would JUMP at the chance for the opportunity you had. Unfortunately those opportunity's do NOT happen in Cali. So, that being said if I were you, find your local farmers market and Look for the veggies that are NOT being sold and those that might grow in your area, and GO FOR IT! Just go slow and look at it as a hobby. I'm 57, as I said, and I plan on living till I'm 95. DO NOT stop moving, keep active and engaged. Keep on, keeping on.

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ?????
I have learned over the past 30 years running my own business. The longer it it good you better watch out because trouble will catch up. I kind of expected something like this. I have spent the last 3 years on easy street. Did addition on my commercial property. I ended up way under time and on budget. Wife and kids future is much more secure because of it.
Young guys stop reading, for 50 and older people may want to continue. Older age is a difficult transition. Vision, physical ability go down hill. The desire to take a chance and make the next pile of bucks is not as important as keeping what you have. Wife is retired, and kid needs to go to college. I have 70 k saved in 529 plan. But that only pays for school. No allowance for car, computer and all the other stuff. Now I have busted truck and Sanford property is looking even more distance in the future.
Scott

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #67  
My situation is somewhat different to most others. I moved out to the property I bought at 60 yrs. old - when I retired from the daily grind. I have been here for nine years so far and have, despite many setbacks, enjoyed being here on 150 acres that are mostly tree'd and nearest neighbour half a mile away
My only real regrets are not doing my homework properly and leaving it so late in life to do it. Life is short and if the opportunity arises to make the move, I would recommend that one does it. In nine years my health has changed and where I could jog and climb ladders without problems, I now have trouble walking - bad knees. Not complaining just a fact of life. I am 60 mins drive form town (hospital, doctors, stores etc.) so being in the country has it's down side too.

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #68  
I'm going to answer this from a different angle. I was raised on a farm and was a farmer all my life until I was 51. At that point our farm became "valuable property" as ours was the closest property to town. My then wife saw an opportunity for $ and split. Farm was sold. I bought a place further out in the country with 17 acres a nice house and a shop. Here's where the different angle comes in. 6 years later I marry a lady whose condo is close to my business, her work, restaurants, shopping, hospitals, everything, and yet in a very nice setting. No, I won't live in a condo at this stage. She moved into my home after living in the city all her life. She loves it. Loves the open space. Loves that I have acreage to keep me occupied and active. Loves to come "home" away from the city. Just thought you might want to consider this in your decision.

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #69  
I'm going to answer this from a different angle. I was raised on a farm and was a farmer all my life until I was 51. At that point our farm became "valuable property" as ours was the closest property to town. My then wife saw an opportunity for $ and split. Farm was sold. I bought a place further out in the country with 17 acres a nice house and a shop. Here's where the different angle comes in. 6 years later I marry a lady whose condo is close to my business, her work, restaurants, shopping, hospitals, everything, and yet in a very nice setting. No, I won't live in a condo at this stage. She moved into my home after living in the city all her life. She loves it. Loves the open space. Loves that I have acreage to keep me occupied and active. Loves to come "home" away from the city. Just thought you might want to consider this in your decision.

So you're suggesting he get remarried? :D

/ Any Regrets On Moving To The Farm ????? #70  
Ha Ha. No, I kinda figured he was married. I'm just thinking it might be a bigger adjustment for a woman, and for us it worked out beautifully.