Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels?

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
I've read of them shattering and I'm apprehensive of getting shards in my body even though I wear PPE.
But presently the roofing metal I'm cutting is eating about 1 Dewalt DW8062 wheel per panel width.

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #2  
I cut roofing metal with my skilsaw, way faster, easier and I think safer. I dedicate my old blades to that task. But when I use a grinder I go until I can't cut all the way through a channel of the roofing then swap out so probably ~40% smaller when I'm done?

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #3  
Something's wrong...you should be able to cut most roofing metal all day long with the same wheel...!

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #4  
Don't buy harbor freight cutting wheels...stick with diablo or dewalt.

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #6  
If you are using it to cut look for one of those Diablo or Lenox diamond metal cutting blades. On 1/4" steel they don't cut as fast as an abrasive cutting wheel but they last 1000times longer.

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #8  
I've read of them shattering and I'm apprehensive of getting shards in my body even though I wear PPE.
But presently the roofing metal I'm cutting is eating about 1 Dewalt DW8062 wheel per panel width.
That sounds about right in my experience. Cutoff discs don't last long but are cheap. I recently cut about 20-30 8" I beams with a stack of these. Just need to go slow and no twisting. There are maybe better options as noted by others but I have about 50 more to go through and they work. Just keep a wrench handy.

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #9  
For roofing, use a circular saw with a metal cutting blade. The grinder will heat the metal too much and be more likely to cause rust issues in the future. I made all the cuts necessary for my pole barn with one metal cutting blade and it's still in good shape.

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #10  
Never use them without wearing protective gear and clothing.

When I use abrasive cut off wheels I have a face shield, leather arm covers, leather apron, and leather gloves on.

I use the 4-1/2" discs until they wear down to the grinder head.

I have had a few come apart. If I see a nic in the edge I throw it away. I had a 7" disc explode on my chop saw and shatter the guard. One piece actually hit my face shield. 99% of the time they wear evenly until they are worn out.