Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels?

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #11  
I used to cut roofing metal with a skill saw with a backwards blade. It worked ok but was quite noisy and left a poor finish. My buddy says to me why aren't you using a good pair of scissor type tin snips? Why indeed? I'll never go back to grinding or a skill saw. Tin snips are quick and easy to use and.... quiet.

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #12  
Most (if not all) violent failures I have experienced were precipitated by catching the wheel on something and taking a chunk out of it. Then you better look out!

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #13  
Long ago I worked at a facility where the Ingersol-Rand tools used 6" cutting wheels. Infrequently - one would fragment. Never knew why. Everybody blamed it on improper use of the tool. Leather gloves, long sleeved shirts and heavy duty plexiglass face shields were the word of the day.

Most wore leather welding jackets when using these cutters.

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #14  
When using cutoff wheels I found that they don't work well if you try to use them like a saw, where you cut all the way thru as you move forward. When cuts of more than a few inches need to be made I place a metal straight edge where a line is scored. Then with light pressure and moving back and forth grind thru. With this method making a 4 foot cut thru 3/16" diamond plate takes one 4 1/2" cutoff wheel.

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #15  
get a blade for steel for your circ saw.
Yep!
I found such a blade (rare) that looks like a standard saw blade but has no teeth, just a lot of slits.
The call it a 'friction blade'.
I've made a whole lots of roofing cuts and that blade is still good to go.
Downside is it creates a lot of 'steel wool' like remnants as well as leaving a scorched (1/8") like trace on the cut metal.
OK for thin (roof like) metal but not for thicker stock.

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #16  
Use skill saw with carbide tipped blade and a lot of safety gear... Not a angle grinder...

Angle grinder cutoff.jpg

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #17  
Wrong tool for job, Circular saw with metal blade, Dualsaw (counter rotating blades), powered metal shear or nibbler

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #18  
If you're cutting the steel roofing for a metal building, try using an air powered nibbler. I've found it works better than any saw and is fast.

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #19  
i7win7 - what is your tractor pulling in your avatar? Is that a dirt pan? Do you have a bigger picture?

/ Any rule-of-thumb for replacing 4.5" cutoff wheels? #20  
Nibbler....... then draw file as, or, if needed.
Have done many aircraft skin repairs and metal roofing trimming with those tools.
A & P Patrick