Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments?

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #71  
Great advice above. I would add that you need to find a buddy who already has all this equipment.
It is also important that your joint no matter Brazing or TIG must be clean. It must be done in a quiet atmosphere so breeze does not blow your Shielding (welding gas) away.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #72  
A lot of good TIG welders worked at Westinghouse back in the day. I believe they could have welded two razor blades together. TIG's the way to go.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #73  
Thin metal like that normally puts you in a tig welding solution. Can you add new light weight metal to get the job done by small bolts or other mechanical means?
Sorry to disagree as a life long welder that does not put you in to a Tig weld. It puts you into a mig weld using a shielding gas not a Flux core wire. The gas can be straight CO2 or what is called 75/25 and that CO2 and Argon . The 2nd one is more expensive but the weld bead lays down better and less splatter. Use a. 23 or. 30 wire. Mig welding is very easy and anyone can get the hang of it with very little practice

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #74  
Thin metal can be welded but most folks don’t spend the time to learn how.

Those are the people that say it can’t be done.

Kind of like a baby thinks you have disappeared when it covers it’s eyes, it doesn’t understand you are still there and it just kept itself from seeing you. It takes time to develop that understanding.

This wasn’t done with a small 120 volt machine rather a very large one turned way down.
View attachment 732326
That's me. Of course it's a TIG weld. You could never do that with any other process. I've considered taking mine to the bottle-can return machine to see what it does with it....lol

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #75  
A lot of good TIG welders worked at Westinghouse back in the day. I believe they could have welded two razor blades together. TIG's the way to go.
I've welded broken tape measures back together, using a copper backing plate and my TIG. All in the prep like any other process.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #76  
Any welding will require clean metal. Pop rivets and a piece of sheet metal will not. Much less effort. Doesn't sound like beautification is the goal here.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #77  
When you stick weld or mig weld it will create brittle cracks between the weld and the other metal the only good way to do that is gas welded or TIG weld and put a backing plate on it I TIG weld anything that's thin up to 1/8 inch I usually TIG weld I never have cracks in it after that stick weld and mig weld creates instant heat in crystallizes the metal the tig and gas weld will heat it and it'll flow into the other metal and in cool down naturally

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #78  
Sorry to disagree as a life long welder that does not put you in to a Tig weld. It puts you into a mig weld using a shielding gas not a Flux core wire. The gas can be straight CO2 or what is called 75/25 and that CO2 and Argon . The 2nd one is more expensive but the weld bead lays down better and less splatter. Use a. 23 or. 30 wire. Mig welding is very easy and anyone can get the hang of it with very little practice
there is wire with flux tho … on bigger machine i’ve welded with it in combination with the gas i believe …

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #79  
Use oxy-acetylene with metal coat hangers to weld body panels or thin metals.

/ Any way to weld the thin metal on tractors and attachments? #80  
When you stick weld or mig weld it will create brittle cracks between the weld and the other metal the only good way to do that is gas welded or TIG weld and put a backing plate on it I TIG weld anything that's thin up to 1/8 inch I usually TIG weld I never have cracks in it after that stick weld and mig weld creates instant heat in crystallizes the metal the tig and gas weld will heat it and it'll flow into the other metal and in cool down naturally
Wow. Stick and MIG will create brittle cracks between the weld and the other metal. The previous statement is untrue. It may be that when you use stick or MIG on thin metal you get brittle cracks between the weld and the other metal. And if you do then you are doing something wrong. Both stick and MIG are entirely capable of making good welds without causing any cracks or brittleness anywhere. It is unfortunate that you are having this difficulty because welders all over the world are are using stick and MIG to make escellent welds every day world wide. They are not using any kind of magic wire or electrodes either. In fact, most of the time they will be welding with 6000 or 7000 series stick welding electrodes or 70 series solid MIG wire with either C25 or straight CO2 gas. Welders who know what they are doing do not have the problem you are apparently having. I suggest you practice some more and learn some more.
I sure hope the OP doesn't get discouraged by folks telling him what he wants to do can't be done, and done easily. He already has some sort of wire feed machine. If the machine is any good he will be able, with practice, to MIG weld his parts successfully. He will have good welds that will be as strong as factory welds. Maybe not as pretty though. I am truly amazed at how much bad information is on the internet.
MIG welding is easy, the easiest of all processes. Though it is also possible to make MIG welds that look great but are actually bad because they have not penetrated the parent metal, with not too much practice it is easy to make good welds. Let's hope the OP tries out his MIG welder and then posts his results. With pictures.
Eric