Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow?

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #21  
Thanks Richard.

Most of my meager fall chores done.. leaves dumped/mulched.....mowers off, Cyclone Rake stored, chains on, rear blade on etc.

Being in good health and several really nice days sure makes chores easier....and ....for a good Thanksgiving. Most harvest is finished around here .... Desoto, Lawrence, Tonganoxie, Leavenworth etc.

Mike

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #22  
Well folks the plowing is going well, I didn't wuiet get through to day but weather permitting tomorrow I will be dome with it in a couple hours. My plan is to llet the patch set a few months before I disc it . here are a couple pics !

Looking at your rows made me laugh and think back when my dad was alive and he would call my rows that I laid off Budweiser rows, he always said it looked like I had to many, he loved picking at me.:D

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #23  
Looking at your rows made me laugh and think back when my dad was alive and he would call my rows that I laid off Budweiser rows, he always said it looked like I had to many, he loved picking at me.:D

My dad always said you get more seed in a crooked row :D

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #24  
Some ploughs do work better than others. Different soil conditions require different mould boards. Coulters will also make the ploughing much easier as well as sharp shares & points. Pull type ploughs may pull easier than a three point.

As to the method or tillage equipment used the size and horsepower of the tractor is a main factor.

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #25  
When I drive by a field that has been mouldboard plowed I still slow down and look to see if I can tell how many bottoms were on the plow.
If I can see the pattern that lets me know how many bottoms where on the unit I'll just shake my head another plow not set right.

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #26  
Like most other things, it takes some experience to set a plow correctly. If one has much plowing to do, it better be set right. Me,,,,,,,I'm a newbie........In my little garden plot, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference. Last time I had it set too deep but pulled it through anyway....The Kubota was lugging some of the time.

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #27  
When I drive by a field that has been mouldboard plowed I still slow down and look to see if I can tell how many bottoms were on the plow.
If I can see the pattern that lets me know how many bottoms where on the unit I'll just shake my head another plow not set right.

I absolutely agree. This separates the knowledgeable plow owner from the rest of the pack.

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #28  
Maybe I just got lucky with all the reading/watching on how to set a plow up, but after using the plow I bought last summer I'm almost wondering how a person could end up with a crooked row (unless the plow isn't set up correctly, or there's some sort of oddity in the ground that pushes the plow around).

From my (very limited experience) as hard as it was to even make a slight adjustment heading adjustment while plowing, it'd seem that if the plow is set up "correctly" it's going to keep the tractor going in a straight line without any operator input.

Granted I was only running about a 120-foot rows, but as much as the plow wanted to "weather vane" the tractor into maintaining a straight line it made me give up on even trying to make any heading corrections/changes after I got going.....which meant learning how to line the tractor up parallel to the prior row in a hurry. After which it pretty much became a routine of setting the tractor on a heading, dropping the plow and then ride along until it's time to lift the plow out of the ground, and line things up for the next pass.

Seeing the soil/sod/dirt roll as the plow moved through was truly a beautiful sight to behold though. ..... really made me want to go plow up some other stuff just because I could. :D

/ Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #29  
50 years ago in Finland all fields were plowed.
To day all farmers use direct seeding method, no plowing
50 years ago tractors and plows and I was like in this picture.

Straight lines and equal deep and width of rows
are still necessary for good plowing and best harvest.

My plowing Plowing - YouTube

Attachments

• v1.jpg
    v1.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 108
   / Anybody use a turning /moldboard plow? #30  
Same changes have occurred here. Very, very little moldboard plowing done now. Most use is to sharpen terraces by throwing the dirt toward the ridge of the terrace.

Everything is minimal tillage now. Some very complicated and expensive tillage tools are used that do multiple tasks in one pass. Even common to plant Soy Beans directly on corn stalk ground with no tillage. So, one pass to plant, three passes to spray chemicals, one pass to harvest the beans. None of these passes are heavy tillage or require expensive heavy tillage.