Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #561  
We have two hummingbirds and a few bats.
Not as much activity as last year. Though the ones we have hit the feeders a lot in the morning and early evening.

Bats! We had a few at the lake place 3 years ago. I hated them. Are you ok with them “hanging around”?

MoKelly

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #562  
I certainly am. I love having them around eating mosquitoes and other insects. As dusk falls, we see them swooping around feeding. I think it is fun to watch as they move so differently compared to birds, but still quite graceful.

I surprised a small one yesterday opening the truck door- it must have tried to find a niche to stay out of the heat in. Fortunately it only fell six inches to the running board. We looked at each other, and as it seemed fine, I left it. Three minutes later, it had flown off to a hopefully quieter roost.

All the best,

Peter

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #563  
Last year I had several hummingbirds...so many that I bought a second feeder so they would fight less. This year, I have seen two total.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #564  
Love bats as they feed on skitters.

Now our hummingbirds actually go from one window feeder to the other then fly up/down to let us know which needs filling. Like 'hey guys' !
Never wear a red hat when filling a feeder or you'll get your ears cleaned.

One neighbor was walking on planks to service his feeders while his porch was being decked.
Dang eager hummers were so impatient that the dove at him and he slipped and was injured.
\But they are sure cute.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #565  
My activity picked up a bit lately. Seems to be a roller coaster of sorts. Almost a quart a day at the peak, now about a cup to a cup-and-a-half a day. There seems to be the same number of birds around, just less drinkin' going on. They like to sit on my tomato towers.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #566  
We are having the regular number of hummingbirds here. I refill my 8 feeders every 5 days or so. Noticed baby hummers for the first time this year. Seem fatter than the adults.

We have bats too. We like to throw grape tomatoes from the garden up into the air at night. A bat will detect the tomato and swoop down to investigate before it hits the ground. Pretty fancy radar they have!

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #567  
We have bats too. We like to throw grape tomatoes from the garden up into the air at night. A bat will detect the tomato and swoop down to investigate before it hits the ground. Pretty fancy radar they have!
Fascinating! Do they eat the tomato after it hits the ground? Of are they radar driven looking for bugs?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #568  
Things around here are all dry and crisp now. Sooo ..... the feeder seems to be the sole source for the humming birds. Four adults - four young. Refills are daily.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #569  
I was just talking about this the other day....normally just have a couple a day and a filled feeder would last two weeks......now they're sucking it dry in a couple of days.......Jack

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #570  
Fascinating! Do they eat the tomato after it hits the ground? Of are they radar driven looking for bugs?
No, they are not interested in the tomato except to see if it is a bug flying through the air. Fascinating to watch as they track it in the dark.