Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #961  
The Red nectar is back in stock after not obtainable last year.

The local ACE said they sold a lot of it until the clear nectar was the only option…

Lots of my elderly neighbors have feeders and they stopped buying because they can’t see well enough to know how full the feeder is with clear.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #962  
Saw my first bird this am here in south central KY. Right around the usual date.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #963  
Gee, we are suppose to hit 60 today so maybe we should. Just looked at the migration map and it appears they are still way down south. Is this the map you guys are using?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #964  
looks like they will be here soon.
I make my own nektar 4:1 boiled sugar water.

No red, benzene is not good for anyone.
Maybe a bobber in the feeders for those with bad sight?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #965  
looks like they will be here soon.
I make my own nektar 4:1 boiled sugar water.

No red, benzene is not good for anyone.
Maybe a bobber in the feeders for those with bad sight?
Its back to save sales... will need to check the ingredients.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?
The Red nectar is back in stock after not obtainable last year.

The local ACE said they sold a lot of it until the clear nectar was the only option…

Lots of my elderly neighbors have feeders and they stopped buying because they can’t see well enough to know how full the feeder is with clear.
In the fall, HB nectar and granules are on sale almost everywhere. The farm stores dump the price to 50 cents so we stock up.

We like buy the red granules. It may just be sugar--or it may not be--and the birds around here seem to prefer it.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #967  
I looked and online in California and couldn't find any for her last year...

They are year round, here too, and we get some snow and lots hard freezes. It makes me realize how much of their diet isn't nectar. I see them often picking things off of spiderwebs, often little insects like ants, gnats, and mosquitos. Anna's are our most common visitor.

They often do their mating dances between the house and the barn. I always enjoy the show.

All the best,

Peter
Something that just hit me is the relationship of HB bug diets and visual sightings of HB's at our feeders. For the last couple years I've put down an organic product that "kills" grubs (Japanese beetles) and also may kill some similar ground burrowing bugs.

It doesn't hurt bees or worms but I wonder if I might be sending HB's elsewhere? We did have fewer HB's last year but so did others and I just figured it was a common problem. I don't want to mess with the HB's at our feeders. Does anyone know anything about this?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #969  
Something that just hit me is the relationship of HB bug diets and visual sightings of HB's at our feeders. For the last couple years I've put down an organic product that "kills" grubs (Japanese beetles) and also may kill some similar ground burrowing bugs.

It doesn't hurt bees or worms but I wonder if I might be sending HB's elsewhere? We did have fewer HB's last year but so did others and I just figured it was a common problem. I don't want to mess with the HB's at our feeders. Does anyone know anything about this?
Can you share what the organic product is?

I have only seen the hummingbirds pick bugs off of window screens, spider webs, and plant flowers or leaves. I've never seen a hummingbird foraging at ground level. So your spreading something on the ground doesn't sound like it is likely the cause of fewer hummingbirds, but there are certainly organic items that are pretty toxic, so maybe. Bordeaux mixture comes to mind...

All the best,

Peter

Milky spore. I still see HB's eating bugs in the garden it's just that ore numbers were lower than normal last year. I know the birds are cyclical in population so that's what I assume it is but I am reducing the amount of available bugs to eat.

I saw a HB either flying barely off the ground or sitting on it or a small branch a couple years ago grabbing a bug. People tell me that can't do that but they sit on my wife metal garden trellis all the time.