Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #861  
I am seeing the year round residents a fair amount but they seem to have nearly stopped feeding. Unusual. I put up clean feeders today with new sugar water just in case

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #862  
The flock dropped to nothing but yellow jackets finally discovered so pulled for the season as I don't want to be supporting a hive...

When I pulled it down they were not happy!

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #863  
Nighttime temperatures have been in the upper 20s lately. This morning I noticed that both (I only keep up 2 in the winter) were down to residual sugar water, so I decided to refill. While I was doing that, I measured the old water. 60 degrees in one and 61 in the other. 15-watt incandescent night light bulb in each. Wednesday it is supposed to get down to 17 degrees so I should be okay then as well.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?
Nighttime temperatures have been in the upper 20s lately. This morning I noticed that both (I only keep up 2 in the winter) were down to residual sugar water, so I decided to refill. While I was doing that, I measured the old water. 60 degrees in one and 61 in the other. 15-watt incandescent night light bulb in each. Wednesday it is supposed to get down to 17 degrees so I should be okay then as well.
That is wonderful that you still get HB's this time of year. We sure don't.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #865  
geoduck - it is amazing that you still have hummingbirds. Over here on the EAST side they would be vertical icicles. It's 13F and lightly snowing right now.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #866  
Annas Hummingbird Range
geoduck - it is amazing that you still have hummingbirds. Over here on the EAST side they would be vertical icicles. It's 13F and lightly snowing right now.
Don't count them out in your area. These little guys go into torpor to conserve energy
ANNAS.jpg

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #867  
Man - I hope Torpor is a local bar or restaurant. It's cleared off and the bottom fell out of the temps. It's 4F now.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #868  
Good on you... I have abandoned my feeders. You are making me feel guilty.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #869  
It's 3:45am and +2F here. Chances are it will be zero at sunrise or there abouts. My hummers left long ago - around the end of September. All flowers are long gone by late September - it's just the feeder that keeps them here.

Don't feel guilty dragoneggs - they have no business staying around in this kind of weather. The only year round birds I ever have are the flickers. They bang on my cedar house all winter long.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #870  
It's 3:45am and +2F here. Chances are it will be zero at sunrise or there abouts. My hummers left long ago - around the end of September. All flowers are long gone by late September - it's just the feeder that keeps them here.

Don't feel guilty dragoneggs - they have no business staying around in this kind of weather. The only year round birds I ever have are the flickers. They bang on my cedar house all winter long.
It's supposed to dip down to my area.