Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year?
We were off to a slow start, which is normal, but now picking up. In addition to the usual birds, a new variety HB showed up that is mostly gray with a lighter gray tux area.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #932  
You know they don't live or travel in pairs, correct? The males only job for Rubies is to mate and protect there feeding area.
That may be, but I usually have pairs to watch and they are definitely male and female.
Usually the males get here a few days before the females.
I assume that's because they are females and get lost or distracted easily. :ROFLMAO:

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #933  
Here is a Rudy throated fact sheet. No "pairs" hanging out or migrating together.
-----------------------------------

How do they reproduce?​

Ruby-throated hummingbirds are probably polygynous (one male mates with many females). However, mating behavior has not been studied very well in this species. It is also possible the each female mates with many males.

Males return to the breeding area in the spring and find a territory before the females arrive. When the females return, males try to attract them by performing courtship displays. When a female enters a male’s territory, the male fluffs out his red-throat feathers and begins harassing the female. He may also perform a “dive display” by diving over and over above the females head. If the female perches, the male starts flying back and forth in front of her very quickly. During this display, the male's wings can beat up to 200 times per second. If the female is receptive to the male, she may give a “mew” call and assume a solicitous posture with her tail feather cocked and her wings drooped. After a male and female copulate, they do not stay together. The male searches for another female to copulate with and the female builds the nest and raises the chicks alone. (Robinson, et al., 1996)
Mating System
The female chooses a nest site and builds a nest. She builds the nest near the tip of a branch. Females usually chose a spot that is above an open area and shaded by leaves. The nests are made of plant material, spider webs, bud scales and pine resin. The outside of the nest is decorated with lichens.

When the nest is finished, the female lays 2 eggs. She incubates the eggs for 10 to 14 days. The chicks are helpless when they hatch, and must be kept warm by the female. The chicks leave the nest when they are 18 to 22 days old. The female keeps feeding them until they are 22 to 25 days old.

These birds probably breed the next year when they are 1 year old. Ruby-throated hummingbirds can raise up to three broods each year. (Robinson, et al., 1996)

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #934  
Here is a Rudy throated fact sheet. No "pairs" hanging out or migrating together.
-----------------------------------

How do they reproduce?​

Ruby-throated hummingbirds are probably polygynous (one male mates with many females). However, mating behavior has not been studied very well in this species. It is also possible the each female mates with many males.

Males return to the breeding area in the spring and find a territory before the females arrive. When the females return, males try to attract them by performing courtship displays. When a female enters a male’s territory, the male fluffs out his red-throat feathers and begins harassing the female. He may also perform a “dive display” by diving over and over above the females head. If the female perches, the male starts flying back and forth in front of her very quickly. During this display, the male's wings can beat up to 200 times per second. If the female is receptive to the male, she may give a “mew” call and assume a solicitous posture with her tail feather cocked and her wings drooped. After a male and female copulate, they do not stay together. The male searches for another female to copulate with and the female builds the nest and raises the chicks alone. (Robinson, et al., 1996)
Mating System
The female chooses a nest site and builds a nest. She builds the nest near the tip of a branch. Females usually chose a spot that is above an open area and shaded by leaves. The nests are made of plant material, spider webs, bud scales and pine resin. The outside of the nest is decorated with lichens.

When the nest is finished, the female lays 2 eggs. She incubates the eggs for 10 to 14 days. The chicks are helpless when they hatch, and must be kept warm by the female. The chicks leave the nest when they are 18 to 22 days old. The female keeps feeding them until they are 22 to 25 days old.

These birds probably breed the next year when they are 1 year old. Ruby-throated hummingbirds can raise up to three broods each year. (Robinson, et al., 1996)
That's real nice I'm certainly not an expert on humming birds. All I do is observe them, my main feeder is next to my kitchen window about 7 feet from were I sit most of the time when I'm in the house and the other is 25 feet away. They may not be "pairs" but I usually see an equal or close to equal number of males and females, so I call that a pair.
The most common nesting sites here are the Lilacs next to the kitchen walk way.
So I guess I'll still call the single male and single female I'm seeing a pair till others show up.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #935  
I have a little rufous hen with a nest full of hatchlings. She is shuttling between her nest and the feeder to keep her babies fed.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #936  
We were off to a slow start, which is normal, but now picking up. In addition to the usual birds, a new variety HB showed up that is mostly gray with a lighter gray tux area.
I've never seen any besides Ruby-throated at our house here in East Central Illinois. I wonder what your gray hummer is.

We have at least 6 buzzing around our feeders on our porch, they've about impossible to count though, 6 is the most I've seen at one time. They are very daring little devils and will buzz over your head within a few inches.

On the subject of birds, I downloaded the Merlin bird app on my phone. It's very cool and is great for identifying birds. You can hit record and it will immediately tell you the birds that are singing. It also has recordings of many many birds and we regularly call them in with the recordings. I pair my speaker to my phone and have called in Barred Owls from pretty far away. We also call in Carolina Wrens, Indigo Buntings, Cardinals, and several others.

Last edited:
   / Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #937  
A few weeks ago we were in a lull, now we are going through about 2/3 quart a day.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #938  
A few weeks ago we were in a lull, now we are going through about 2/3 quart a day.
How many do you have to drink that much? I doubt I go thru that much in a couple weeks. I will say that either we have more than usual or they're thirstier than usual this year.

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #939  
I tried to find a map with species and the location of them in North America, but I didn't do all that well. :( Still some neat info on them.
DzFUiiUWkAEGXSN.jpg
ruby_rufous_dist.gif

/ Anyone else have an unusually large number of hummingbirds this year? #940  
If someone can find a better map, please post it!