Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix?

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #11  
Fired direct tv and only watch netflix and ytube and best part is no more $85 a month tv bill. Cable and Satalite tv is dying.

mark

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #12  
I am dropping cable. Just keeping internet. I can watch most shows on Hula or just go to the networks website and watch them there. My PC plugs into the tv and watch in HD. Also. get 27 stations over the air. Eventually I will get a PC to just leave hooked to the TV and only use it for programs.

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #13  
You wrote: First of all, I'm not sure I understand this but I've been reading about people giving up traditional cable or satellite for Netflix and apparently watching "TV" on their computer. This sounds interesting and all I know is I pay a large amount of money to watch a relatively few channels.
We have Direct TV and watch about 10 of the umpteen, but mostly useless channels. Am I hearing right that I can watch those 10 good channels on the computer via Netflix? Does anyone know if this is so and how it works or the cost?

I gave up Directtv because it was costing me around $100 a month and there wasn't any good movies or channels.
So now I just have Netflix. I love Netflix! My husband bought an antennae for inside the house so we can also get a few local channels.
Netflix has a lot of movie channels from TV like Breaking Bad, House, Greys Anatomy, The Walking dead....ALL WITHOUT COMMERCIALS!!!
Then there are lots of movies to watch too. And good movies at that. It only costs me $10 a month now compared to the $100 I was spending before.
I can't say enough good about Netflix. I hope that is helpful.
Darlene

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #14  
I am dropping cable. Just keeping internet. I can watch most shows on Hula or just go to the networks website and watch them there. My PC plugs into the tv and watch in HD. Also. get 27 stations over the air. Eventually I will get a PC to just leave hooked to the TV and only use it for programs.

We did the above several years ago..... Hung on to Netflix for a bit - dropped them as well. There are no 'Air stations' as we tucked in a valley without signal.

Wife and I bought a (dedicated computer) HDMI/Blueray player/ the works. Plugged that bad boy in and have never looked back. Lots of free stuff over the web to watch, never had any issue with it and have become so spoiled that if we do watch tv at someone elses home we get frustrated over the 10 min show and 20 min commercials.

Our local tv station broadcast live over the internet so we can still watch the 'news'- they still show commercials though.

Just be prepared to save all those stations so they are easily accessible. Believe it or not we have a Smart tv that has never been used, we didn't need that type of tv but wanted a good picture. Having not had traditional tv for over 5 years I can tell you, "It is a worthwhile investment". I would compare it to a fireplace.

Gas fireplace - on demand and user friendly (dish network)

Wood fireplace - little more work but same results and cheaper (dedicated computer)

With a little practice you will be able to watch any show broadcasted over any network worldwide. Some things are free; others cost a fraction of what the average cable subscriber pays. Be warned: there is a safe way and a illegal way to get media. Anyone remember file sharing networks like 'bear share/morphius/napster? These sites pushed the envelope of copyright infringement.

Gone are the days of taping your favorite song on a cassette and duping them to make copies for your friends (old boom boxes). Recording Mash and Magnum P.I. on your trusty BETA or VHS player. Fastforwarding those commercials was challenging as you typically fast forwarded a bit into the show. Now you pay for everything...... or will you?

Log fir

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #15  
We don't watch sports and only a couple movies. Wife likes cooking show, news, History Channel and that kind of thing. We used to have a big dish n New England and I had one here for a while. Now it's Direct TV and I've about had enough of paying so much. There has to be a better way.

The above is possible without direct tv - or paying so much

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #17  
You can sign up for netflix for a 30 free trial. You have to give them a credit card and if you dont cancel at the 30th day, they automatically continue with the service and bill your card. You can cancel anytime. Worth a try.

I like netflix but have it in addition to cable. You might want to get an antenna and see what local stations you can get.

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #18  
I dropped cable years ago when they wanted to raise the price 20 bucks for basic cable. It's worse now seeing you have to rent boxes and such. I would suggest you research Roku, Apple TV and Google TV boxes, they connect like a DVD player would. You buy the boxes and then can watch Youtube, Netflix and a ton of other channels. There is no monthly fee for the box but the channel service like Netflix does cost a monthly fee. I went with the Roku, I've had it for maybe 3 years and it has been rock solid. They update it often and add features. You can get one for $40 or so. If your TV is digital you can also get free local digital channels depending on your area. That is how I watched the superbowl.

I know on the Roku you can setup tons of free channels but there are limitations. There are multiple food channels, PBS, the History Channel, music on Pandora plus many more but they only show what they want to allow. Often the popular shows are not on the free channels. A decent internet connection is needed.

Then there are the paid services like Amazon, Netflix etc. I have Netflix and like it but it doesn't have everything. They make deals with channels to play some shows. An example would be TopGear, they have tons of episodes on there but you won't see the 2014/2015 season on there until at least the fall of 2015 when the new season starts. This doesn't bother me any because there is so many other shows to watch on it. The best part is no commercials. Once you get used to this and then watch something with commercials it's awful.

So, with a mix of technology you can get off the expensive stuff. Below is my best effort on how the chain of equipment works.

Digital TV --- over air local digital programming
................\- DVD player
.................\- Roku, AppleTV etc
............................\- Add free channel like PBS, Youtube, EWTN, A&E, Crackle & History
.............................\- Add pay channel like Netflix & Amazon
...........................................\- Pick from a ton of shows and movies but they are often last season and older. Like Dr Who, Modern Marvel, TopGear, Mash, Cops and 1000's more.

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #19  
We use Netflix and the outside antenna.....maybe 40 channels. I do like the Me2 oldie stuff...........Anyway, nobody has brought up about Amazon.......Very similar to Netflix;but more pay per view.......BUT.......If you are an Amazon prime person, most of the video stuff is free.........Right now we are watching the Soprano's.............MANY good features..........

Anyway, Amazon Prime costs $100. It gives you free shipping and for me is the way to go......I don't know how long they can afford to do the video stuff, free freight, and good deals; but I am gonna do it as long as it lasts.......God bless.......Dennis

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #20  
I dropped my dish network 3 years ago. Now only have Netflix and digital over the air TV. Since I was paying $120 per month, that's allot of money I didn't waste sitting in front of a box. Also dropped my frontier land line. That saved me another $100. I don't miss either