Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix?

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #31  
If we use too much bandwidth (streaming) we quickly get the following email:

"Ooops- You have exceeded 100% of the recommended bandwidth allotment of 4,000 MBs. per day(9am-9pm). Current usage is 4,750 MBs.
The electrical energy used is equal to 4- Refrigerators running 24/7 for a year! Wow!

Utubes and short videos are fine but full length TV shows and movies destroy the environment and kill the network, especially during prime time 6-9 PM.

This is only a warning as we are trying to avoid implementation of any set limits. Please help!
Thank you for your cooperation Video kills!"

?
Wow, my household uses that much in 30mins depending on the time of day. Maybe it's the "microwave" part that does it? :eek:

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #32  
[
Just got a Roku3 for xmas have watched the entire series of Walking dead up to current show on Netflix....did have to pay 24 bucks for season 5 the rest were included for the price of net flix
currently watching blue bloods from the beginning with no commericals

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #33  
Wow, my household uses that much in 30mins depending on the time of day. Maybe it's the "microwave" part that does it? :eek:
My belief is that it is really the economics- he has to buy bandwidth at a high cost, and his small customer base coupled with other costs simply don't make it feasible. The microwave connection can support far more, as he offers it at a higher monthly cost. It's a one man operation.

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #34  
Very timely thread for me. I just drastically cut back on my directv programing. Gonna save some $$. Problem is I really need amc, walking dead. Whats the best way for me to stream it?
How long after Sunday night do I have to wait?

AMC is talking about moving to a streaming service, just as CBS and HBO are doing. Currently, you can only buy the latest episodes on Amazon for $1.99 each.

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #35  
This is a GREAT thread!! I've been thinking about ditching cable for a while now. Got a letter last week from TimeWarner telling me that my "special deal" was expiring but they were going to give me another "special deal" that was only going to be $5 / month more. Such nice folks!! Got my cable bill yesterday and it was $160. That did include $40 for my internet which gives me about 12Mbs downloads and 850kbs uploads. I also noticed they increased my cable modem rental from $4.99 / mo to $8.00 / mo.

I don't mind going back to network TV. That's what we primarily watch in the evenings, during the week, anyway. I already have NetFlix and I'm an Amazon Prime member so we watch those services from time to time although we (really "she") don't watch any old TV series on either service. I wouldn't mind looking into Hulu Plus and the Sling service sounds pretty reasonable. One of our local stations just added "ME TV" which shows all the old shows (MASH, Andy Griffith, Gunsmoke, etc.) so that takes care of my TV-Land fix. LOL!

BUT.... what about the "extra" TVs in the house? For the TV in my office I don't mind losing the cable. It's not on that much anyway. But on weekends my other half will often lounge in the bedroom and watch stuff on Discovery, TLC, etc. If I sign up for Sling and get it over a Roku box, can I have the same Sling account on two different Roku's? I know that I can watch multiple instances of NetFlix at the same time. Haven't tried it on Amazon but assume it's possible too. Does anyone know about Sling and/or Hulu Plus?

I am going to go to TimeWarner's customer "service" :confused2: office today to see how much they can reduce my bill. My guess is that they'll do something to knock $10 / month off the bill and tell me to be happy about it!!

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #36  
This is a GREAT thread!! I've been thinking about ditching cable for a while now. Got a letter last week from TimeWarner telling me that my "special deal" was expiring but they were going to give me another "special deal" that was only going to be $5 / month more. Such nice folks!! Got my cable bill yesterday and it was $160. That did include $40 for my internet which gives me about 12Mbs downloads and 850kbs uploads. I also noticed they increased my cable modem rental from $4.99 / mo to $8.00 / mo.

I don't mind going back to network TV. That's what we primarily watch in the evenings, during the week, anyway. I already have NetFlix and I'm an Amazon Prime member so we watch those services from time to time although we (really "she") don't watch any old TV series on either service. I wouldn't mind looking into Hulu Plus and the Sling service sounds pretty reasonable. One of our local stations just added "ME TV" which shows all the old shows (MASH, Andy Griffith, Gunsmoke, etc.) so that takes care of my TV-Land fix. LOL!

BUT.... what about the "extra" TVs in the house? For the TV in my office I don't mind losing the cable. It's not on that much anyway. But on weekends my other half will often lounge in the bedroom and watch stuff on Discovery, TLC, etc. If I sign up for Sling and get it over a Roku box, can I have the same Sling account on two different Roku's? I know that I can watch multiple instances of NetFlix at the same time. Haven't tried it on Amazon but assume it's possible too. Does anyone know about Sling and/or Hulu Plus?

I am going to go to TimeWarner's customer "service" :confused2: office today to see how much they can reduce my bill. My guess is that they'll do something to knock $10 / month off the bill and tell me to be happy about it!!
My understanding of the Sling Tv service is that multiple users cannot use the same account simultaneously. This was from an early report (Cnet?) before the service launched.

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #37  
I ditched cable TV back around 2002. As long as I have internet I see no need for TV when you can watch almost anything you want for free online.

I watch shows like Person of Interest, Blacklist, NCIS and never miss an episode and can pick the time I want to sit back and watch it commercial free. There are times I can watch one of the shows an hour or so before they air on TV. Besides, I can go back and watch previous episodes of whatever whenever I want.

Over the years of no cable I have found ZERO downfalls. Local news can be read online and I just have no need for cable. My kids got used to it and even today, as adults on their own, neither have cable.

I found this site ************ years ago and use it still today for ALL my TV shows. It is indeed 100% FREE and 100% legal! There are ads but if you know how to set up your browser with Ad Block Plus and Ghostery it blocks them all. Just this week they added a timer feature since I am blocking their ads, and I have to wait 7 to 15 seconds for the show to start.
One tip, if you use this site, is to let the show buffer completely before watching it to avoid any lag you may see. Also a dial-up connection may not buffer very fast but on a high speed or DSL it only takes a minute or so to buffer a one hour TV show that is commercial free.

In the end I'd much rather spend $40.00/month for internet and watch my shows, commercial free and when I want, than I would $150.00/month for cable!!!

~gm66

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #38  
I found this site *********** years ago and use it still today for ALL my TV shows. It is indeed 100% FREE and 100% legal!

I question the "100% legal" part, seems like just another torrent site. Moot point anyway unless you already have a login...got a message that registration is closed.

Last edited by a moderator:
   / Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #39  
If I could get ESPN channels I would drop cable in a heartbeat. I currently pay 190.00/mo for TV, cable and phone. Horrible value. Cable only would be about 60.00/mo.

/ Anyone give up satellite TV for something like Netflix? #40  
Very timely thread.

My TV provider, Fulton Telephone Co., DITCHED ME (and the rest of their subscriber base) yesterday. No longer providing TV service.

Seems like Comcast has "moved" into town and is forcing them out.