Anyone have a scale on their loader?

/ Anyone have a scale on their loader? #31  
At work we had scales on two of our forklifts. It was necessitated because we had many utility trailers that were used to ship small loads to jobsites. We did that when we became aware some of the shop people had no idea of the weight they were loading on them. I don't recall the brand, but IIRC the first time they were used each day there was a short "hokey pokey" to zero them. With the forks loaded, they were raised/lowered to certain heights and then were good to go.

We had a variety of 20-some utility trailers and real trucks - straight plus a tractor and several trailers - for larger loads. One of the problems we had was when a superintendent on a project would call the shop and ask them to "toss a few cases of this or that" on a trailer being loaded for them. One of the things that finally brought scrutiny was when the tongue of the frame on one of our small enclosed trailers folded when it hit a bump before it even left the shop.

/ Anyone have a scale on their loader? #32  
I don't know if it's the exact same model, but I tried one several years ago that looked just like the one linked in the O.P. It was OK for a general reference, but did not give reliable, repeatable results. To get anything close to repeatable, you had to have the bucket at the EXACT same height and position as where it was zeroed. Which is pretty much impossible. Depending on what you want to learn from the weight, I would find another solution.

/ Anyone have a scale on their loader? #33  
Not real familiar with them, but what I have seen I've gotten the impression they largely rely on measuring the hydraulic pressure at the lift cylinders and doing the calculations as to what that translates into total weight being lifted (possibly minus the attachment weight depending on calibration method & user inputs).

They largely seem to rely on simplifying the math problems by requiring the load to be lifted to a repeatable/fixed position with implement curled to repeatable position (e.g. lift the load all the way up, generally curled back).

I believe most also require the machine to be at a full stop so as not to introduce additional loads while measuring (e.g. bouncing through a field would through the measurements off).

Of course the whole thing also needs to be calibrated (or re-calibrated) for the different implements being used.

At least that's impression/understanding I've gotten from the minimal looking into them I've done previously, not sure what any specific models may provide in terms of accuracy or accommodating more advanced features (just looked and seems some versions may be capable of measuring on the move now??).

Just my understanding -- which is based purely on reading/researching for my own use and not buying/using one.

/ Anyone have a scale on their loader? #34  
There's a local gravel pit here that has a scale on the loader. You load your own gravel and then sign the ticket when you're done loading. At the end of the month you get an invoice! The weight calculation is all done by computer. I can ask the owner about it if you are interested.

/ Anyone have a scale on their loader? #35  
Have you checked with the Coast Guard yet? 😁

I'm just a fly on the wall with this one. I'm sure all that load calculation has been done by some company or another. Just a quick Google search shows a $945 one that is calibrated by operator to a known weight lifted. I would think the width of a bale (centerline front to back on the loader) would be fairly consistent. You may possibly have to calibrate it to singles or doubles, and I bet the height and angle would need to be similar to how it was when calibrated, tractor on a level surface, yada yada. All that to say, once you calibrate it to your preferred bale configuration, you should be able to get pretty close on bales, but not necessarily a random item with the center of mass in a different spot. At least that's my best guess.

Hope you get it figured out. It will be handy I'm sure.

/ Anyone have a scale on their loader?
Large square bales need to be stabbed with a 3 prong bale spear. They can’t practically be lifted like a crane would.

/ Anyone have a scale on their loader? #38  
Not hard to tell most people haven't baled or handled big bales. different areas in the same field have slightly different (sometimes a great deal different) conditions. We were a dealer for the TR-1-NK-HE scale system & we sold over 50 of the units with only one customer return. It generally takes awhile to accustom your machine & yourself to the operation. We started by weighing 4 4X4 big bales on a certified scale then unloading them 2 at a time, setting them flat on the ground, raising them straight -up about a foot, and calibrating the loader (JD544B) scale to the average 4 bale weight.Then did the same for the second set of 2 bales. We found that checking the weight a few seconds (5) after all movement stops was best. The display never stops moving but if you are consistent with your process you will be usually be within 40-60lbs. We are 80+ miles from a set of truck scales. A lot of our hay goes to California & the truckers want to leave the stackyard as close to 80,000lbs as possible. One load was calculated to within 220lbs of the certified weight.

Have you checked with the Coast Guard yet? 😁

I'm just a fly on the wall with this one. I'm sure all that load calculation has been done by some company or another. Just a quick Google search shows a $945 one that is calibrated by operator to a known weight lifted. I would think the width of a bale (centerline front to back on the loader) would be fairly consistent. You may possibly have to calibrate it to singles or doubles, and I bet the height and angle would need to be similar to how it was when calibrated, tractor on a level surface, yada yada. All that to say, once you calibrate it to your preferred bale configuration, you should be able to get pretty close on bales, but not necessarily a random item with the center of mass in a different spot. At least that's my best guess.

Hope you get it figured out. It will be handy I'm sure.
Ahahahahaha…..
They are still reviewing my creek log jam permit. :ROFLMAO:

Not hard to tell most people haven't baled or handled big bales. different areas in the same field have slightly different (sometimes a great deal different) conditions. We were a dealer for the TR-1-NK-HE scale system & we sold over 50 of the units with only one customer return. It generally takes awhile to accustom your machine & yourself to the operation. We started by weighing 4 4X4 big bales on a certified scale then unloading them 2 at a time, setting them flat on the ground, raising them straight -up about a foot, and calibrating the loader (JD544B) scale to the average 4 bale weight.Then did the same for the second set of 2 bales. We found that checking the weight a few seconds (5) after all movement stops was best. The display never stops moving but if you are consistent with your process you will be usually be within 40-60lbs. We are 80+ miles from a set of truck scales. A lot of our hay goes to California & the truckers want to leave the stackyard as close to 80,000lbs as possible. One load was calculated to within 220lbs of the certified weight.
Do you recall what they cost? Were they a hydraulic scale, “tee’d” into a hydraulic line?